Klipsch RF-10 with Pioneer Reciever and Sony Subwoofer. Is this a good setup?

ZASKARK

Here are the components I plan on buying for the begining of my home theater( I will buy center and surround speakers later on). As of right now I am interested in listining to music. My main concerns are: I want to avoid distortion, I want the speakers to have a loud powerful sound, I also want the reciever to be good in its price range. Please look at the components below and tell me what you think and I am also considering a Yamaha reciever but dont know if I should go with Pioneer or Yamaha.

Klipsch RF-10 $129 each

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00096ZT0G/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AKR88PAWTQVN2

Pioneer VSX-520-K Audio/Video Receiver $189

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039XQKXQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sony SA-W3000 Performance Line 12" 180-Watt Subwoofer $127

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OL22T2/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A228GNTXW0TH0L

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Zaskark, First off, let me apologize to you for getting off topic in your other thread. I meant no disrespect! [:D]

If you hang around here long enough, you'll find that we form friendships and sometimes we get a little carried away having fun and joking around. No disrespect is meant.

Now, your system.

I think the speakers are a great starting point and you should be happy with those for a while.

The receiver looks fine for an entry level receiver.

The Sub-----> NO!!!!

I would look at the Klipsch KSW 10, it is only $20-$30 more and I think the difference will be obvious, between the two.

Here's a Link to the Klipsch on Amazon------> CLICK HERE

Now, as someone else mentioned to you, make sure they are an Authorized Klipsch Dealer or the warranty will be VOID!

Dennie

The Sub-----> NO!!!!

I would look at the Klipsch KSW 10, it is only $20-$30 more and I think the difference will be obvious, between the two.

I totally agree..... NO on that Sony sub.....

Do you need to buy new? Searching Craigslist for used items may be the best way to increase your $.......

My Onkyo receiver was $140 used 6 months ago. New in 2007 it was ~$900!!!!

I bought a KSW 10 sub for $80 and sold it for the same price to move up to a better sub.

Every item excet my sub was bought used. (My sub was on sale at 40% off from Emotiva so that almost counts)......

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses (extra thanks to Dennie for giving me quick responses![:D]). I was actually debating with myself on the kilpsch ksw10 or the sony 12" sub could you guys explain why the kilpsch sub would be better because the sony one is bigger, got very good reviews on amazon, and is cheaper than the Klipsch. That is why I was considering the Sony sub. Also would a yamaha or pioneer reciever suit Klipsch speakers best. thanks for all your responses

Welcome aboard Zaskark,

I agree with all previous mentions. Take a look at audiogon.com also. I think you will need to create an account to log in. I purchased my Marantz from audiogon. It retails for around $1600 and I got it flawless for $225. Also e-bay has some great finds. You can get a whole lot more for your money if you go with pre-owned equipment.

Remember half the fun of this hobby is the treasure hunting.

Glad you are here,

Matt

Thanks for the responses (extra thanks to Dennie for giving me quick responses!Big Smile). I was actually debating with myself on the kilpsch ksw10 or the sony 12" sub could you guys explain why the kilpsch sub would be better because the sony one is bigger, got very good reviews on amazon, and is cheaper than the Klipsch. That is why I was considering the Sony sub. Also would a yamaha or pioneer reciever suit Klipsch speakers best. thanks for all your responses

"review is from: Sony SA-W3000 Performance Line 12" 180-Watt Subwoofer (Electronics) I spent 3 weeks trying to get an acceptable sound out of this thing. Could not do it. Yes, it makes it's share of noise and distortion, but I was hoping something musical would come out of it. Not even close. I have used subwoofers since the early 90's. While this is not the worse sub I have ever owned, it sure comes close. The volume control has to be almost maxed out before you get any sound at all. Then you are left with only about half an inch of room to try and adjust it with and no LFE input or switch. It is cheaply made, with the last inch or two of the top, and the whole back made out of plastic. The port is just an untuned hole. Why most of the 5 star reviews chose to ignore some of these problems is beyond me. It sounds as bad as it looks. With all the positive reviews written on this thing, the thought may cross your mind that the sub I got was defective...no way. How do I know this? Because I ordered 2 and both had the exact same problems. I know the price makes it a tempting purchase. That is what lured me in. Turns out to be just another case of "you get what you pay for". I had no problem returning them to Amazon. I had my refund within a week. I decided to spend a bit more and bought the "CER-WIN VEGA! VE-28S". The difference in price was around $50.00. The difference in sound is remarkable. It only took about half an hour to get it tuned in with the rest of my system. Now I have a sub with excellent sound that I can enjoy for years. Thanks for reading my review. I hope you find a sub you're happy with. "

This reviewer of the Sony sub actually sounds like he knows what a sub should sound like.......

That is why the Klipsch is better.... Quality over Quantity.... That being said, it is very decent (the KSW10) but it is definitely entry level....

Good Hunting!

Thanks for the responses (extra thanks to Dennie for giving me quick responses!Big Smile). I was actually debating with myself on the kilpsch ksw10 or the sony 12" sub could you guys explain why the kilpsch sub would be better because the sony one is bigger, got very good reviews on amazon, and is cheaper than the Klipsch. That is why I was considering the Sony sub. Also would a yamaha or pioneer reciever suit Klipsch speakers best. thanks for all your responses

Sony is not know for their Fantastic Subwoofers. I would trust Klipsch long before I trusted Sony. Just because it is bigger, does not make it better. The Klipsch has a 250watt amp, where the Sony was 175watts, I think.

In this price range, trust Klipsch! Plus it will match your speakers!

I use a Pioneer and I like it. I also have a Yamaha Stereo receiver and I like it too. It is more of a personal preference at this price point. So, we I can't tell you which one you would like better. As long as it has the features you need, I think you'll be okay with either one.

Dennie

this is the review that made me question the klipsch sub is what he is saying correct?

All Boom, little bass., April 13, 2007

This review is from: Klipsch KSW-10 10-Inch 225-Watt Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)

I listened to this subwoofer today in a high-end audio shop and I agree this thing is a bit slow on the response and overly boomy without much definition. It's very heavy on bass, but the overtones are excessive, which might lend themselves to bass-heavy rap music and movies, but for anyone interested in crisp full-frequency music reproduction, this is not the subwoofer to get. There is a noticeable delay in the response of this unit, and its dynamic range seems to be either all bass or nothing... there's very little in-between.

This is a good example of how Klipsch has lost its reputation. They used to produce their products in Hope, Arkansas. Now, like many "U.S. companies" they contract this crap out to China -- and it sounds like it.

I hate to bring this up again, but I will anyway.

Wait on the sub and get better main speakers. Which one's are better......I don't know. I am not current with the Klipsch line up. I run 1979 La Scalas for 2 channel and KEF speakers in my HT.

Dennie

I hate to bring this up again, but I will anyway.

Wait on the sub and get better main speakers. Which one's are better......I don't know. I am not current with the Klipsch line up. I run 1979 La Scalas for 2 channel and KEF speakers in my HT.

Dennie

I agree.

All I want is to experince quality sound for music for right now and I thought these speakers would give me that is there a reason you would want me to upgrade them to better ones, because I thought they are a steal for $129 each! and they are refrence quality are they not?

this is the review that made me question the klipsch sub is what he is saying correct?

I will be honest.... For an entry level sub; it is decent. Keep in mind; the reviewer listened to this in AN AUDIO SHOP. This means it was not properly placed and phased into the system being used.

It has phase adjustment to "time" it to your speakers. If placed properly, it works well....

I listen to a lot of heavy fast metal, and yes, the sub could not reproduce blast beats accurately.... Is it worth $200? Eh.... I can not tell you I would pay that... I would not. There are better options (BIC 12" subs that are better musically)....

Is it worth $80-$100 used? Definitely.

Do some research on the Web....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?ie=UTF8&search-alias=electronics&field-brandtextbin=Acoustech%20by%20BIC

I have not heard this sub.... but was considering it before I got my Emotive for $369...... Good Luck.

All I want is to experince quality sound for music for right now and I thought these speakers would give me that is there a reason you would want me to upgrade them to better ones, because I thought they are a steal for $129 each! and they are refrence quality are they not?

I think most of us agree....once you get that taste of Klipsch you will want more and bigger. This is one time where you should really think about the future and what you're getting your self into.

I've got klipsch speakers in every room in my house and still want more. It's a real sickness.

Can I ask you guys If you had a budget of $600-700 and wanted to start a home theater off with just a reciever, sub and floorstanding speakers what components would you buy?

You might want to ask this question in the HT thread....those guys really get into the HT stuff. You might find a better answer there.