NY Times article: Jazz reissues on vinyl

LarryC

It's interesting that single sided LPs sound better than those with grooves on both sides.

Yeah, It's real interesting.

You know what's even more interesting? These same records (Clarity from Classic Records) that don't have any grooves on the other side because the "open spaces" of the grooves can create resonances, have, in fact, the company name and other stuff stamped on the blank side.

Apparently their own name doesn't cause resonances.

FWIW: I've bought a number of and returned all these LP from Clarity. Ticks, pops, even skips. No consistency whatsoever. One disc (of four/album) can be perfect and the next is a nightmare.The funny thing is the problems are less noticable on my lesser TT.

It's interesting that single sided LPs sound better than those with grooves on both sides.

Yeah, It's real interesting.

You know what's even more interesting? These same records (Clarity from Classic Records) that don't have any grooves on the other side because the "open spaces" of the grooves can create resonances, have, in fact, the company name and other stuff stamped on the blank side.

Apparently their own name doesn't cause resonances.

FWIW: I've bought a number of and returned all these LP from Clarity. Ticks, pops, even skips. No consistency whatsoever. One disc (of four/album) can be perfect and the next is a nightmare.The funny thing is the problems are less noticable on my lesser TT.

LOL. My single sided Clarity Vinyl remains some of the best sounding vinyl I own. I believe their name is stamped on the blank side, not etched. Also, it sounds best on my high-end TT, pretty much dead quiet.

That said, it seems they stopped producing Clarity Vinyl altogether. That might be due to the sale of Classic Records to Analogue Productions.

Art - Any chance you'll be visiting the DC area in the near future? I'd love to play some single-sided LPs for you![Y][:P]