1957 shorthorns project

funkyhambone

long time no post. hello my old friends. i have not been on this site for sometime. i guess i have been enjoying life. i really haven't done any stereo projects for sometime. my old house has been devouring most of my income lately. i am finally looking forward to beginning this "vision" i had a few years back. i am going to have a 3-channel shorthorn tv/dvd system. [please don't ban me for posting 3-channel in a 2-channel section]

i am using a model T shorthorn mounted in a corner under the tv for the center channel with 2 model S shorthorns in respective corners with a sectional sofa caddycorner from the tv. the shorthorns are all 1957 mahogany. one of the shorthorns has a 12 ev woofer while the other 2 have 15 stephens trusonic woofers. i am going to swap an extra 15 stephens trusonic i have for the ev. i will also have to swap out the university ma-25 mid driver out for an university SA-HF. i happen to have one of these too. this will give me three identical shorthorns. i am going to use a mcintosh mc225 for the corner shorties and a mc30 for the center. it will be connected through a scott lc21 so i can manipulate the center volume to my liking.

another interesting part of this project will be the refinishing of the cabinets. while all three are mahogany, they differ in darkness dramatically. they all will need new grill cloth too. one of the three is absolutely mint. i hesitate to touch it, but in order for these to get put to functional use i must match all 3. i will post some pics of how things go.

i started today by taking all 3 apart. i must say that these were the most interesting speakers to dissassemble of all the heritage line. screws, screws, and more screws. i did find something interesting on the model T. the side grills were screwed down with 4 screws and on the top of those flathead screws someone by hand (guessing because the holes were not always centered) drilled small holes. these 4 tops of the screws were exposed, but an interesting button? rosette? that had a male screw extending out that screws into the top of those screws. this tightened up against the grill cloth giving it a fitted look. here is a pic.

post-18625-13819615748602_thumb.jpg

post-18625-13819619977984_thumb.jpg

This is a really cool 50's Klipsch project. I've seen a couple shorthorn pairs out there but you may be one of the first to do a 3 way. According to hunter there were only about 49 Model T shorthorns ever sold. When will the cabinets be ready? Awesome project.

Thanks agian for the Rebel V [:P]

IMG_3378.JPG

the cabinets will probably not be ready until late fall or early winter......................................................

good things come to those who wait!

i am really looking forward to hearing/seeing the results of this project!

p.s. glad to see the lady didn't kill you over another speaker.

the cabinets will probably not be ready until late fall or early winter......................................................

good things come to those who wait!

i am really looking forward to hearing/seeing the results of this project!

p.s. glad to see the lady didn't kill you over another speaker.

Oddly enough she was not surprised to see more speakers. I did get rid of the spare console in the living room but I still need to find a home for a pair of JBL 4250's that are stacked in the next room. After that I can start over again.

Can't wait to see the results.

• 2 months later...

Jim,

Remarkable, one-of-a-kind project! I owned a single Model T a long time ago. Where did you find the K-1000 horns, and the three metal Xover ID strips?

It was a great speaker as you know, producing the deep bass the Model S could not.

I've heard 15WK's, but not the Stephens. What's the difference between how the two sound?

Jim,

Remarkable, one-of-a-kind project! I owned a single Model T a long time ago. Where did you find the K-1000 horns, and the three metal Xover ID strips?

It was a great speaker as you know, producing the deep bass the Model S could not.

I've heard 15WK's, but not the Stephens. What's the difference between how the two sound?

Do you still have the Model T? According to hunter only 49 were made!!

Gone some decades ago, Seti. While contemplating going stereo, I put the drivers in a decorator K-horn cab and probably gave away the T cabinet. Unforgivable today!

I got it used from a Klipsch dealer in Portland, OR, who found it somehow when he wanted to re-unify a Model S pair (I'd bought one for mono). I probably gave away the T cab in Louisville.

Sorry.

Gone some decades ago, Seti. While contemplating going stereo, I put the drivers in a decorator K-horn cab and probably gave away the T cabinet. Unforgivable today!

I got it used from a Klipsch dealer in Portland, OR, who found it somehow when he wanted to re-unify a Model S pair (I'd bought one for mono). I probably gave away the T cab in Louisville.

Sorry.

It was possible one of the first entertainment systems being made for a TV to set on top of it. Ahead of its time.

It was possible one of the first entertainment systems being made for a TV to set on top of it. Ahead of its time.

Yeah, although honestly it looked to me like a PWK attempt to fix the "S" model's BIG weakness, limited bass extension, by lengthening and enlarging the bass horn. It took advantage of the TV-on-top rationale to build it out much further from the corner (36" vs 23"!) to do those things and lower the bottom frequency from 40 to 30 Hz.

I'd guess the larger cab and more serious bass horn of the T was a main reason you could only get it with a 15" woofer, as opposed to 12" and 15" options for the S. Keeping the price down on an S by using the EV 12" SP12B might have been a factor, too,

Jim,

these are three factory made klipsch 1957 shorthorns. the only modification will be swapping out the 12 inch ev with the stephens 15 so that all three will be the same components. the metal xover strips and the boards and copper are all original. dean and i thought since it was so unique that we would try to keep it as original as possible.

i am opposite of you. i haven't heard the 15wk's just the 12's.

i am taking the cabinets down to hope saturday. i'll take pics.

I missed that your EV woof was a 12, presumably for an S model. Is it a SP12B? At least that's my recollection of what Klipsch advertised for its S models (I never saw any reference to a 12" T).

I'll be interested in what you think the effect is from swapping in the third Stephens 15". An SP12B has to have a considerably inferior bass to a Klipsch-selected/modified Stephens or 15WK. I went from an SP12B S to a 15WK T, and it was night and day from what I can recall that far back. I probably supposed it was the cabinet.

This is worth telling: after living for a while with a single decorator K-horn with a 15WK, I bought an all-new decorator K-horn in the early 1960's with the current standard woofer of the time -- I have no idea who made them back then. There is no other word for it: I was appalled at the difference. The 15WK K-horn made clear, assertive, and musical sounds well up into the midrange. The other, NEW k-horn had muddy, ill-defined bass that was a constant disappointment. I could never quite get over the constantly distracting inferiority of the newer woofer.

That's why I've always felt that the loss of the EV ceramic-mag 15WK was a terrible loss for Klipsch. I remember what a shock and disappointment the new Cornwalls were to the Klipsch dealer in Portland at the time.

I tried a pair of used 15WK's in my current K-horns a few years ago, but had to take them out because the Xover was audibly not made for them. They still beat the pants off the K-33 in bass and mid-range clarity and solidity, IMO.

Is it a SP12B?

yes, it is. it is the same woofer that is in my model h. i think i am going to swap these out with the woofers in my heresies and give em a listen.

i have two extra stephens woofers, but one is 16 ohms and the other is 4 ohms. i want to find another 4 ohm and swap out with the k-33's in my khorn just to give it a listen. hopefully one day i will find one.

i am taking the cabinets down to hope saturday. i'll take pics.

Oh wow this Saturday!!! I may have to find another way to get the prints to you before then. Sounds like a great trip. If you need any help loading speakers let me know. I'll be around Saturday.