T-amp, LaScalas, sub-woofer, computer, usb interface

Myhamish

Catchy title. This week, I received one of the little flea power Dayton T class amplifiers ($45 from Parts Express). After reading all the reviews, I thought I'd try one. First of all, I had it hooked up to my Sony ES CD player into the Heresys. Sounded pretty good. Then I put on a y adapter and ran a sub-woofer along with it. Sounded better. Then hooked up the LaScalas. Sounded better yet. The LaScalas are more efficient so you get more sound without pushing the amp past halfway.

Then I attached it to a laptop computer using the computer sound card and a mini plug output back to the sub and t amp into the LaScalas..Playing a CD through the computer just sounded OK. Then I tried it with a Behringer USB interface that Michael Hurd had recommended last fall. This interface has optical and rca analogue outputs. I hooked up the analogue outputs into the y adapter back to the sub and T amp. The sound is amazing.

This setup excels at female voice and sharp definition in drums. Dido's 'Safe Trip Home' is a good test CD. The amp seems to be be much quicker so it adds more detail. (sorry, I can't get a handle on the wordy, flowery prose descriptions or catchy titles) All in all, it's one of the best setups I've ever had. Slainte. Hamish

post-12323-13819616481132_thumb.jpg

post-12323-13819620548842_thumb.jpg