I just got my new Sharp Quattron TV setup-and I am loving it

substance-p

I calibrated the picture based on a review wherein the reviewer had calibrated off a disc. Picture out of the box was very good but a bit too bright for my eye. The calibration led to, in my opinion, very good flesh tones and a good looking picture; however, I did sacrifice a bit in the black department when I did the calibration-I think the slight loss in black levels was a good tradeoff for the overall effect.

In terms of out of the box black levels compared to a plasma, they were not plasma like (at least not as good as a higher end plasma); however, it does a great job providing realistic image reproduction of flesh tones and other images it reminds of a plasma in that respect.

This is my first Sharp (and my first LED/LCD). I have been a Panasonic and LG fan of late and a Sony fan before that (as evidenced by the gigantic Sony CRT I have listed. Having said that, I like this TV so far.

It is an edge lit LED in answer to your other question (or UltraBrilliant edge-lit LED backlight as they call it).

Yeah usually out of the box the settings are bright to help the tv look better under the bright store lights. Thats awesome. Well I know you're going to enjoy that tv. I know I would. Great job on the settings. And the viewing angle is insane! Very impressive tv for sure. I'll def have to consider the Quattron now

kelA-I assume you are referincing jj's point about banding issues being related the source and not the TV?

Yes I was. I thought I had hit the quote button on my response,sorry. The new Sharp does look NICE from the pics.

No problem...sometimes in these threads I get a little lost in tracking communication.

I did some research on the Sharp banding issues from last year after reading your post-that sure wold suck to get a TV with a known issue.

I really hope the new TVs provide greater reliability. As of right now, I am still enjoying the Quattron. It's kinda funny, b/c I tend to be the person who does not buy the newest offering from a company but waits around to read reviews and for prices to drop (fingers crossed).