A question for those with McIntosh/Klipsch combos...

BIG BLUE

Greetings,

As I'm reading the classifides today I ran across the following ad:

Stereo Equipment, McIntosh C28 pre-amp, McIntosh 2105 amp, McIntosh MR74 tuner, head level cabinet, 2 Klipsch corner horns with birch face finish all in excellent condition for $3750.

Now being a Klipsch fan/owner I realize that the Khorns alone used are probably worth that much if they are indeed in "excellent condition" like the ad reads. However, I know nothing about this vintage Mac equipment other than if it's McIntosh it's quality. So, would this be a good price for this combo and anyone that has similar equipment matched like this how is the sound for 2-channel? I could always use the addition of the Khorns as front mains and use my Cornwall II's for surrounds and look for a Belle for center (just a thought).

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. I've left a couple of messages for the owner and will try back to set up a time to "experience" this system. (Now if I can just convince the wife that I'm only going out for milk and bread but may need to take the "for emergency use only checkbook" hehe)

Thanks,

BIG BLUE

BB-

Here is a site for the true Mac-Fan at heart http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/preamps.htm . Then just go to his home page and you can find the link for the amps as well. For some current trading/selling prices try http://www.audioclassics.com . Their prices may be a little on the high side but there are some people there that are more than familiar with Mac stuff. I usually deal with Frank Gow. He is the son of the late Gordon Gow who designed alot of the older (2 series and some 7 series anyway) equipment.

Funny, the C28 was the testing/evaluation preamp for the KLF line of speakers. I opted for the C33 preamp and am working on a Mac amp, maybe. The only problem I have is that the adjustable loudness on the C33 has more hiss at lower loudness settings. No noise at all with it in the upper range or with it off completely. I sent it back to Frank and they replaced a couple IC's which helped a lot but not completely.

For the amp you may want to compare THD and S/N ratios with the 7 series (i.e.-7205, 7200, 7300, 7125 etc.)

Hope this helps!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

By the mid-70's McIntosh had figured out how to make a decent S/S preamp-- the C24 and C26 sound like fingernils on the blackboard when compared to the classic C22 that preceeded them. But the C28 is a darn fine preamp and still sound good today--plus its loaded with all those MAC features and has a good phono section as well.

The amp is a classic, big blue meter S/S unit and is probably the best sounding 1970's S/S product. Holds it own today.

The MR74 tuner is an AM/FM tuner and while it isn't in the same league as the MR78 that came a little later, it's a GREAT sounding tuner.

Value? In Mint condition:

Amp--$600

Preamp $450

Tuner $400

Khorns $2000

At least that's what I think they should be worth at RETAIL (or ebay) in today's market.