RF-7II vs RF-7 review

SkyDover

RF-7II vs RF-7 review:

Ok, I called my Klipsch dealer today to see if they've gotten the RF-7II in for demo, I was really surprised when he told me they've had them in for a full week now listening to them. He said I should come in and listen to them that they sounded better than the RF-83, I told him I was more interested in how they sounded compared to the RF-7, he said you better come in and have a listen to them.

I have RF-7 and was very curious about how the RF-7II would compare to it. Here's the changes I could hear:

The RF-7II has a wider vocal presentation. The RF-7 has a more centered vocals in the middle. The bass sounded very good.

Overall I was very impressed with the sound. I think Klipsch really did a nice job on how they sound. They aren't

as in your face as the RF-7, the wider spreading of the top horn (probably from crossover design) gives it a little

more smoother presentation since it's not as direct to your ears.

I really like how the RF-7 sound. The dealer was telling me that they are really happy to see Klipsch bring back the RF-7 because it was always a better seller for them than the RF-83 were. He said Klipsch realized this and that is why they wanted to bring them back, and to improve the sound while doing so.

I'm not sure about improved sound, they both sound very good, that would more depend on how one likes their sound, more direct to them or more spread out sounding before it reaches your ears. The only way I can try to explain this, is that the way it spreads the sound out is simular how the Klipsch heritage does. Also the ever so slight softened midrange carried in the cones of the RF-7 seems not as noticeable with the lower crossover point of the RF-7II but the RF-II has a little less fullness in this cone area since the cone no longer carries this upper crossover point.

The RF-7II metal feet are a nice change from the RF-7 plastic feet, even if they look a little odd. The platic feet crack easy, I did so bearly moving mine when towing them in, so anything metal is better than those plastic feet. I was disappointed that Klipsch took away the binding post like the RF-83 had and kept to the RF-7 binding post!! For the price being asked for these speakers, I think it should have the binding post like the RF-83. Also the grills are now back to the peg type again! I have broken one of mine even carefully taking them off, a simple uneven removal will snap off the peg, I was very unhappy with the peg type and I'm very careful taking them off. It should have the magnetic holding grills like the RF-83 for this price in my opinion! I do like the new grill design with showing off some of the speaker in front! Are the pegs stronger than before? I don't know, I couldn't ask the dealer to let me test it to see if it would break off and damage his grill!

The RF-7II sounded really nice, I was impressed! I like them very much. I still very much like my RF-7. At $1,000.00 more than the RF-7 it's really up there in price. I'm still very happy with my RF-7. For those that think the RF-7 sound harsh, will probably like the RF-7II wider top horn sound and less in your face sound. The whole time I sat listening to the RF-7II, I kept thinking how really good they sounded. I have nothing bad to say about the sound, I wouldn't mind having a pair!

The RF-7II is taller than the RF-7 and I picked up the RF-7II and noticed it doesn't weigh as much as my RF-7 so I'm a bit confused how it's taller but weight is less? How is the RF-7II internal volume larger with same size 10 inch cones and still the bass seems very good. The RF-7II has a very nice sound, I can't see how anyone wouldn't really like them!!

Which do I like better, the RF-7 or RF7-II? It's hard to answer, I like them both. They are just a little different in how it does the sound. It doesn't make me want to sell my RF-7 but does make me want a pair of RF-7II!

My friend who went with me to hear the RF-7II has listened to my RF-7 many times, his take was this:

RF-7II sounded really sweet, he likes how it has a wider sound while keeping to the imaging and detail of the RF-7 but taking off the edge that the RF-7 can have sometimes to his ears. That was his quick take on it when I asked him what he thought.

I think Klipsch has another winner on their hands!!

Wow great review and very accurate I must add because some of the things you mentioned are exactly what I felt and was hearing with the exception of comparing it to the 7 because I never heard them . I also felt they really filled the room with very accurate and dynamic sound in 2 channel whitch is all I listened to also. Well thank you so much for the detailed review and making my new RF7II delivery first thing in the morning even more desirable . I know I listened to them for about 90 minutes or so before I made my decision but its good to know someone else heard what I was hearing with the new RF7II : )

Thank You!! And congradulations on your new RF-7II speakers! I know you're going to enjoy them! They do sound outstanding! It's going to be a very exciting day for you in the morning! Report back after you get them setup and spend some time with them and let us know how they are sounding in your room, enjoy spending time with your new speakers! [:)]

It doesn't make me want to sell my RF-7 but does make me want a pair of RF-7II!

Right there, that's my problem with Klipsch. I always want to add and never take away!

Excellent review. Thank you.

I can see why I know I'll be keeping my RF7'II's for a very long time I've had alot of speakers in my day and none have made me as happy and its the first time I've ever bought speakers and have not had second thoughts. These babies are keepers !!!

@TheFactor.

Hello. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for a pair of the RF-7 II. I got a quote of R39 000 ($5 600) from a dealer near where I stay. The current Rand/Dollar exchange is R6.95/1 USD. That is quite steep because the MSRP for a pair of these speakers is about $3 300. What can I say. This is South Africa, where all the prices are really inflated. By the way, what amp/receiver are you using to drive these speakers? Are you finished with your set up. I would like to get feedback from you regarding your views of the sound of the RF-7 II. What are your likes and dislikes?

@TheFactor.

Hello. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for a pair of the RF-7 II. I got a quote of R39 000 ($5 600) from a dealer near where I stay. The current Rand/Dollar exchange is R6.95/1 USD. That is quite steep because the MSRP for a pair of these speakers is about $3 300. What can I say. This is South Africa, where all the prices are really inflated. By the way, what amp/receiver are you using to drive these speakers? Are you finished with your set up. I would like to get feedback from you regarding your views of the sound of the RF-7 II. What are your likes and dislikes?

Hi im running a Pioneer Elite 94 AVR and a Emo XPA-3 for a seperate amp everything else is in my sig. . As far as likes everything there very dynamic and accurate . Dislikes none at this time and am I done with my setup never ; )

@TheFactor

Ok. Thanks for the info. It would be nice to own these babies some day.

This goes out to you and whoever else have loudspeakers...

I know that the speakers can play very loud, but try and keep your listening levels to 85dB or below. We have only 1 pair of ears, and if there is any damage done to them, they cannot be undone! Yes, you can crank the volume up but for very short periods of time.

I don't want any of you guys to lose your hearing.

Schweet :)

Rivernuggets, I totally agree with you! Thank you!!

Southern,

I have a very large collection of solid state amps and listen to different amps in my collection, each has it's own sonic signature. I decided to try out a few value amps, so as of lately I've been running the Emotiva XPA-1 amps 500w per chan.
I've been pleasantly surprised at it's value and performance, especially compared to how much the other amps I have cost! It sounds very nice with Klipsch speakers I have.

I would love to have a pair of RF-7II in my room to directly compare it to my RF-7. The dealer wasn't running the demo on as nice of equipment, but it still sounded good, but would be great to hear what a pair sound like in my room on my equipment!!

I purchased my RF-7 from the same dealer, he gave me a discount on them. I've been doing business with him for years. He offered me a decent discount on the RF-7II.

SkyDover,

I would like to hear the XPA-1's someday, I've read nothing but praise on these amps.

My experience with the RF-7's is that with alot of clean power they come alive, like a hidden subwoofer comes out to play.

If you ever have a chance to run your RF-7's with a tube amp give it a try. I was very impressed on how smooth they sound with my Dynaco ST-70.

I had a chance to listen to the RF-7II at a local dealer and because they didn't have any RF-7's I couldn't due a direct comparison. I did notice that they sounded too bright in comparison to the Cornwall III's. I was very impressed on how deep they dug. They sounded better then the RF-83's they had but my favorite were the Klipshorns.

I almost went with a couple of XPA-1's but instead upgraded my speakers since I already had a XPA-3 and what a great amp it is . Its funny how different folks here different things when listening to speakers but to me the 7II's didnt sound bright at all when I auditioned them and when I got them home they sounded even better possibly my gear and room acoustics's since im running a couple of GIK bass traps and Elite panels . I think klipsch has a speaker for everyone depending on your taste : )

Southern, the XPA-1 are nice. I've been impressed with Emotiva products so far, I also have the RSP-2 preamp and ERC-1 CD.
The bass is amazing how deep, tight, and clean they sound with the RF-7 and XPA-1. I have Klipschorn's and Super Cornwalls and the RF-7 are still a favorite of mine. They just do sound a little differently. The RF-7 have alot of presence and I like that about them.

TheFactor, sometimes I wonder if some people take the more presence and revealing as bright? I don't find them bright, just more revealing with the presence. I do remember when the RF-83 came out, I went to the dealer for a demo, the first time I heard them they sounded not very good and bright. A week later I talked to the owner and he told me come in and listen to them again that the salesman should have never put them on the receiver he had them hooked up to. The second demo was a big different from the first. It sounded pleasant and nice sounding 2nd time. Teaming the right gear to the speakers is a big step in getting things right.