Marantz 6100 Turntable?

Rick

Does anyone have any experience with this turntable? I found one on Craigslist this morning and am tempted to check it out. It appears to be in very nice condition with a brand new belt and Grado cartridge. Is $150 a good price for it? It would be a couple of hours drive to go look at it. Is it worth checking out? How would it compare to a new budget table such as the Pro-Ject Debut III or Music Hall MMF-2.1? Thanks in advance.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/2009218840.html

Here is some recent info from the "blue book" on Audiogon.... I hope that this is helpful.... Boxx

Marantz 6100 : Used Prices
New $130.00
apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif
apt_dot.gif
apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif apt_dot.gif
$200.00 High

$130.00 Last

$70.00 Low
Used $130.00
Jan 00 Jul 08
Marantz 6100 released 1976,

I own a 6100.

I purchased it to complete my vintage Marantz system. I originally and still want a 6300 for the system.

Mine is in excellent condition, but, it does have some noise that seems to eminate from the plinth or base and is transfered through the arm.

The noise is almost like a very dull roar, as if it is caused by the motor echoing through the table. If that makes sense.

I don't hear the noise while music is playing, only during lead in grooves and between tracks.

I don't know if it is an inherent issue or just my particular unit.

I had it checked out by a very well respected phono tech when I first got it and had the cartridge installed (Ortofon Red). He gave it a clean bill of health.

I don't think these tables are as quiet as others that you could find at $150.00.

Tom

I own a 6100.

I purchased it to complete my vintage Marantz system. I originally and still want a 6300 for the system.

Mine is in excellent condition, but, it does have some noise that seems to eminate from the plinth or base and is transfered through the arm.

The noise is almost like a very dull roar, as if it is caused by the motor echoing through the table. If that makes sense.

I don't hear the noise while music is playing, only during lead in grooves and between tracks.

I don't know if it is an inherent issue or just my particular unit.

I had it checked out by a very well respected phono tech when I first got it and had the cartridge installed (Ortofon Red). He gave it a clean bill of health.

I don't think these tables are as quiet as others that you could find at $150.00.

Tom

Thanks for your input. I am not sure what I am going to do yet...

Are you upgrading or what do you have now? This looks like a nice table for $150. If the cartridge and stylist is pretty new I say go for it. The rumble/hum could be only from hold down screws for transport still being tight. (do a search for Marantz 6100). The cartridge new is probably over a hundred bucks.

Actually, I am looking to get back into vinyl for the first time in nearly 20 years. The only thing is that my current pre-pro (Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH) does not have a phono input. So I would have to buy a decent phono pre-amp, meaning that my total investment would be near the price of a brand new budget Pro-Ject or Music Hall table. I am considering getting a new receiver/pre-amp that has a phono input. The only thing is, I'm pretty sure that a good quality phono pre-amp will handily outperform one built in to most AV receivers. So I am not sure what I will do at this time...

Well, all I can say I that if you want to get into it again after 20 years, watch out!

Now you have more money and will find you appreciate it alot more than you did. And you loved it then!

Think about if you want it part of an HT system or dedicated two channel.

Figure out an overall budget goal (then double it). You probably want a $500 table.

I would say look at the space (size of speakers) and wattage (how loud you can play them) your lifestyle can support,

then start shopping.

Who knows you might find you like classical music. [;)]

Actually, I am looking to get back into vinyl for the first time in nearly 20 years. The only thing is that my current pre-pro (Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH) does not have a phono input. So I would have to buy a decent phono pre-amp, meaning that my total investment would be near the price of a brand new budget Pro-Ject or Music Hall table. I am considering getting a new receiver/pre-amp that has a phono input. The only thing is, I'm pretty sure that a good quality phono pre-amp will handily outperform one built in to most AV receivers. So I am not sure what I will do at this time...

Stereophile magazine just did a review of the NAD PP 3 phono preamp, and it looks pretty cool. It handles MM and MC cartridges, and has (in addition to analog outputs) a USB output, so you can transfer LPs to your computer, ipod, etc. It seems very reasonable at $199.

nad_pp3.jpg

Nad_PP3_back.jpg

$200 too much? How about Stereophile recommeded phono preamp (no USB) Audio-Technica AT-PEQ3, on sale at LP Gear for $43!

h057ATPEQ3-f.jpeg

Are you upgrading or what do you have now? This looks like a nice table for $150. If the cartridge and stylist is pretty new I say go for it. The rumble/hum could be only from hold down screws for transport still being tight. (do a search for Marantz 6100). The cartridge new is probably over a hundred bucks.

My thinking on used cartridges is, if you don't know the history, don't place a lot of value on it.

You cannot be sure of wear and age. Cartridges don't last forever. You can replace a stylus, but, the cartridge degrades with age.

If you are refering to my comment about the noise coming from my table, the noise is not from transport screws left tightened.

Tom