Help me understand amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, etc.

Kain

I know an amplifier is the one that actually drives the speakers, but what exactly is a pre-amplifier? Does to just the decoding such as Dolby Digital and DTS or some other thing?

Secondly, if I do choose to go with separates, all I will need is an amplifier and a pre-amplifier, right? Will I need anything else?

Thirdly, can I use the Denon AVR-4802 just as a pre-amplifier and use a separate amplifier to drive the speakers?

Fourthly, if I do use the Denon AVR-4802 as a pre-amplifier, will I gain any sound quality by using, lets say, the Denon AVR-5803 as a pre-amplifier or will it sound the same?

Thanks! Smile.gif

Anyone? Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

Projector: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

General definitions...perhaps more than you asked for...

A power amplifier is a device which simply amplifies a signal. Output is proportional to input.

A preamplifier is a device that accepts inputs from various sources (like turntable, CD player, tape, etc.), allows you to switch between inputs, provides some minimal amplification and equalization for low level inputs like phono cartridge and tape head to bring it up to the level of the other inputs, provides volume and tone controls, and feeds a power amplifier.

An integrated amplifier combines the preamplifier and power amplifier in a single unit.

A receiver is an integrated amplifier with AM and/or FM tuner built in.

An A/V receiver is a receiver with Dolby and/or DTS decoding built into it, and the ability to switch video signals as well as audio.

There are also high end processors that provide all the features of an A/V receiver except the power amplifier.

If you go with the appropriate high end components, all you will need are the processor and the power amplifier, plus whatever signal sources you want. You might want to look at the offerings at www.mcintoshlabs.com for an example of high end separates.

Any receiver with preouts, like the 4802 and 5803, can be used with external power amplifiers.

I doubt you will hear a difference between the 4802 and the 5803 preamp sections.

Why would you not want to use the power amplifiers built into the 4802 or 5803?

The amp stage in Denons or any other receiver are their weakest link. Their power ratings are very misleading and are not usually up to the task. You also have less damping control and more crosstalk between channels.

Many people are entering the world of separates by utilizing their receiver with real amplication and proclaiming the incredible improvement. The general consensus is a 80 watt power amp beats the built-in 100 or 120 watt amplifiers in receivers.

You can pick up a Parasound HCA855 for a few hundred on Ebay and it is a great way to start. Or for a grand you can easily pick up the HCA1205. Then all you need is to add a pre/pro at your leisure. Anthem and Outlaw being great values.

------------------

Fronts - KSP 400's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Two channel - KG4's

Sub - KSW200