Forte Woofer Question

wallflower

I found a pair of Fortes. They seem to be in good shape, but on one of the speakers the center cover is missing from the woofer. By cover I mean the center dome that covers the woofer driver. The paper on the woofer and the driver seem to be in good shape.

What negative effect would this have on the speaker? Is this just a dust cover? Does it need to be replaced? Can the the cover be replaced or does it require changing the entire woofer?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Moderators

Yes it's just a dust cover. Look up places that sell foam replacements for speakers and see if they have that size cover, it just glues back on.

I had some Advent speakers that the foam ring around the outside of the cone rotted away. I ordered the kit to re foam them and it comes with that dust cover. When you re foam a speaker you first cut out that dust cover and insert the shims they supply you and that aligns the cone up on the center of the speaker. You glue the foam on and after it dries you remove the shims and glue on a new dust cover.

It was cheap and an easy fix, that's why I said they may have the dust cover and it just glues on.

Sorry it's been years, I can't remember the name of the company but there were a few different companies when I had looked.