Looking for Klipsch speaker suggestions!

ryanrk

I'm new to the whole home theater speaker thing and went to the local speaker store and love the sound of Klipsch. I'm trying to decide what ones to get, trying to stay around $1500 for the speakers.

First what's the difference between the Icon X series and the Icon W series?

The setup's I was looking at was

a) WC-24, 4x WB-14, and XW-300D ($1199)

B) WC-24, 2x WF-35, 2x WB-14, and XW-500D ($1799) does the tower fronts make that much difference then the 2 bookshelves?

c) 2x RB-51, RC-52, 2x RS-42, and XW-300D ($1300)

d) xb-10, 4x XL-23, XW-300D ($1099)

These setups all seem very different, any recommendations? It's so tough to mismatch these thing. I"ll be using an Onkyo Tx-nr808 receiver which I hope will power them. I'll be in a 10' x 10' foot room with a 65'' plasma at the front. The back wall is missing, so the surrounds will probably have to hang on the sides or put on stands behind the couch.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

Hello and Welcome to the forum Ryan,

I don't have any real listening time with the setups that you mentioned but a few questions.

Do you have room for floor standing speakers? Do you have to get speakers that are WAF, Wife/significant other Approval Factor? Is this setup for movies only or your everyday TV setup?

Your receiver looks like it has everything and will be fine. If you feel that you need more power then you can always add an external amp to help power your speakers.

It's always said to get the best speakers that you can afford, this helps cut down on the upgrade bug. You also have to be happy with the sound as the setups that you are looking at are different.

James

I do have room for floor standing speakers.

Wife/significant other approval factor doesn't matter, they just have to be reasonable in size.

If I get bookshelf instead of floor standing the bookshelf would probably be on stands

This would be mainly for movies but occasional music.

Take a good look at a nice used pair of forte II. You can get a real nice used pair for around $450.00 I have had mine since new, now going on close to 20 years. As far as I am concerned it is the best bang for the buck that Klipsch ever produced. Best footprint/sound value. If you are not impressed you can always sell for what you paid.

As we all know audio is very subjective, go listen to as many setups as you can and decide for yourself. Take a look at the forte II link on the home page and read what other forum members have to say about this classic speaker.

I do have room for floor standing speakers.

Then I would go for the floor standing speakers. You are going to take up that room any way with stands.

This would be mainly for movies but occasional music.

Depends on where you are, can you demo these setups to see for yourself how they would sound? Also to take in your own movies and music to hear first hand how they sound. I know that I love my RF for movies but they are ok for music. My Heritage speakers are great for music and can get by for movies, but will take up a lot more room.

When everything is over you are the one that has to be happy with the sound.

Good luck in your search.

James

10 x 10 is really hard to set up no matter what speakers you have. Towers will out-do bookshelf in general presence but, the right bookshelves can be so nice when a sub is included. Your "C" option would be really sweet. These are matched tonally and you won't be dissappointed. It depends on what sound pressure you are looking for and what your future plans are. If you move to a 14x18 room, this option could be a bit thin if ya want to rock the house. But hey, I have a larger room and I'm running 4 RB-25s for surrounds with no complaints. (Yet)

• 11 months later...

I like the bookshelf choices. The W and X series are really classy and look nice. They pair up well with a sub and will sound great. The R series may be a little fuller in sound and also look nice. Pick one, you can't go wrong. The room seems a bit small for towers.

The WF-35's are def worth it over just the bookshelfs and surprisingly have some good base foundation. Option B is what i would choose out of what you have listed. I like option C but you could probably save some money by not getting the surround only speaker and get bookshelfs instead and i would get a pair of RF-62's, it would really be worth it IMO. Also, you could skimp on a sub at the moment and save up for one at a later time, you have lots of brands and dont have to worry about tonal matching since there is no tweeter.