RSW10 low sound

dhopp

Ok, here is my setup:

Sony DE875 Receiver

Klipsch RB5-II

Klipsch RC3-II

Klipsch RS3-II

Klipsch RSW-10 sub

The RSW-10 has great bass and it's not boomy like many other subs that I've heard, but my problem is that to get any good level of bass in the listening area I have to crank the sub up (like up to 75% volume or more). That seems a bit extreme and then I have a problem of living in an apartment and with it up this high it shakes my walls which I'm sure the neighbors don't appreciate. Also to really "feel" the bass, I have to be sitting near the sub (like right next to it).

To get any sound out of the sub at all I had to put

the sub setting at +3dB (it's currently at +6 dB trying to get some sound out of it) in the receiver setup. Again, I don't think this should be necessary.

All of my speaker wires are monster cable including the sub interconnect. Below is a diagram of how my speakers are currently laid out (hopefully this shows up right Smile.gif ):

FL----C----FR

-------------SUB

-----xxx

SL---------SR

The xxx is the viewing/listening position. The --- are just to get the speaker positions to show up right. Because of the layout of my apartment, I cannot put the sub in a corner, but it is currently near a wall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Denniscwm5.gif

This message has been edited by dhopp on 04-05-2002 at 03:41 PM

To get maximum impact your sub sould be against the front wall.

--SUB--------

FL----C----FR

-------------

-----xxx

SL---------SR

This should give you much better sub bass impact,and yes the RSW10 needs to be cranked to over 65-70% on the gain dial to move.

I never place subs alongside side walls,always alongside the front wall.Rear wall works good too.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

UP,

Well you did not read too many of my posts of late.Yes I do have one,surprise surprise. Smile.gif Sorry to disapoint

The big Velo is a legend of subwooferdom and besides I had it almost at cost so I could not resist.Just have the gloss finish,it shines.I would prefer the sub in Rosewood or Bird Eye Maple(oh so gorgeous).

Boa,

All the way up,the gain is maxed!Yep,as I put my second Paradigm X30 to use,no choice too many subs.

The Sunfire Theater Grand II even with its three subwoofer outs needs help,and besides I like to change the level often,the X30 sits next to my sofa.

Those X30 are sure practical

Yes siree,and may I add its a fantastic sub.Clean as clean can be and has serious output.I wish Velodyne made a reference unit with two 18" drivers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Is your RSW 10 new? Because it took a couple of weeks for my RSW 15 to get full performance. It really needs to break-in.

Tony

------------------

Fronts----KLF 30's

Center----RC-3 II

Receiver--JVC RX-9010V

Rears-----Quintets

Sub-------RSW-15 + Basscube 15

TV--Panasonic tau 32 HDTV

DVD------XBOX

ears, all the way up on the hgs-18? holy smokes. i only have mine on about 4 (b&k sub output flat - 0db) & it's still about 3db louder than the other speak levels (where I want it).

when i tirned mine up past 6, it was bottoming out some

on those private ryan blasts. i would think most subs would bottom out on heavy bass when up that high. unless one is setting their receiver sub out to -10db or more, or something. cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Well as I use the X30,the pre/pro is set to 0dB and I adjust the gain on the X30 main VOLUME.

Its my SUBMASTER VOLUME

Its set to 8 o clock,almost at minimum.Remember the HGS18 is not alone and three powerful subs are set to max.

The X30 with the Sunfires is set to 9 o clock,Denon sub output is set to again,0dB.

I am about to get a third X30 for my main PC sound system. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

You bet Boa,the subs then wake up the whole building. LOL

I think I've reached a level where more sub bass is pure overkill.

Even my Creative Nomad II MP3 player has its own Koss PortaPro headphones and Logitech Z560 speakers. cwm3.gif

With the Koss PortaPro its like adding a subwoofer to headphones.Not near the HD600's but a great match for portables.

Now I wonder if I need SVS Ultras,yep you bet I need these barrels of sub bass. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

UP,

Now even my "clock radio" can shake the house.I am now looking for a sub/sat system for the bathroom!LOL

I think I may convert the toilet into a sub(drain used as port!),hmm maybe a SVS TP sub!

Who know where I may end when my compulsive sub bass disease strikes again.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 6 months later...

You guys must be deaf! I have the RSW-10 and it is positioned against the front wall. And I have to turn down the volume. I have it integrated with my RF-3, and the sub is turned up 9 clicks, which is the 10 o'clock postition on the knob. The mains are set as small, otherwise bass is overwhelming. Use a SPL meter and calibrate the level of each speaker and the sub, I did it and I was surprised how much I had to turn it down.

What imput stage are running your sub at? Do you have a LFE output on your reciever? or are you running line level? I have a sw15 and sw300 both on LFE i need to turn them down not up.As for shaking your room and disturbing the natives well "THATS WHAT A SUB DOES".Maybe try inviting them over next time you really want to rock. LOL 9.gif

Thats a great idea. I have orchestrated a Movie Of The Month Club with my brother,a cousin, and a couple of friends and its a great idea to invite neighbors over on movie night. I didnt on Saturday night with Blade2 and The Matrix at pretty high SPLs. I bet the neighbors were cursing me. Oh well.