Upgrade to a 7.1 system

vigiano

I have a new system with RF82, RC62, RS52, RW 12d sub and a Denon 3311 ci receiver. I'm thinking of upgrading to 7.1 and am wondering what 2 speakers would be best to add? I thought my options might be 2 more RS52's or RF 62/52 or possibly if I wanted to piss my wife off a pair of R7's.

Actually putting RF-7s in the back with RF-82s in the front will tick off everyone here, not just your wife. RF-7s would be a huge step up from your RF-82s. Put 'em up front where they belong!

Its generally recommended that bookshelf or floorstanding type speakers be used as rear surrounds and speakers with as your RS-52s be used as side surrounds. Some say if you listen to a lot of music you'll like bookshelf/floorstanders better but if you're mainly into movies you'll like the RS series better.

I'd recommend an RF series speaker unless you can't fit one due to limitations in available space. Floorstanding speakers have always given a fuller sound to my ears. You wouldn't necessarily have to spend the coin on another pair of RF-82s, RF-62s would work very well.

The main thing I have to consider is the back wall is about 3 feet from the back of my couch and it's about 36 inches tall. I don't know how that will affect the sound the room is 20 by 20 and the stereo and tv are in the corner facing an L shaped couch. Just something to consider. Towers or bookshelf on a stand?

Actually putting RF-7s in the back with RF-82s in the front will tick off everyone here, not just your wife. RF-7s would be a huge step up from your RF-82s. Put 'em up front where they belong!

Its generally recommended that bookshelf or floorstanding type speakers be used as rear surrounds and speakers with as your RS-52s be used as side surrounds. Some say if you listen to a lot of music you'll like bookshelf/floorstanders better but if you're mainly into movies you'll like the RS series better.

x2 [:@][;)][:^)]

I'm also researching the imotiva XPA-3 amplifier to run the front and center speakers. Building a system as I am learning can be complicated and seems to be an incrimental process. What do you think about getting a imotiva XPA-3, would this give a better boost to the system instead of buying the 2 extra speakers or would the two speakers be a better choice. If I did that and then latter I could decide on R7's or the surround speakers. what do you guys think. It is hard to imagine the results with my limited experience in stereo equipment. I do know that with every upgrade I immediately start looking for ways to make the system better. I have the money to buy any of the items mentioned but I suppose I have caught the upgrade bug. Thanks for the input.

I'm also researching the imotiva XPA-3 amplifier to run the front and center speakers. Building a system as I am learning can be complicated and seems to be an incrimental process. What do you think about getting a imotiva XPA-3, would this give a better boost to the system instead of buying the 2 extra speakers or would the two speakers be a better choice. If I did that and then latter I could decide on R7's or the surround speakers. what do you guys think. It is hard to imagine the results with my limited experience in stereo equipment. I do know that with every upgrade I immediately start looking for ways to make the system better. I have the money to buy any of the items mentioned but I suppose I have caught the upgrade bug. Thanks for the input.

If your saying XPA-3 or RF7II's well my answer is 7's hands down but if your saying going from 5.1 to 7.1 with just adding rs62's or its little brothers I'd say add a amp the xpa-3 is a great performer with many options to build upon with other amp combos later.Going from 5.1 to 7.1 isnt going to give you a wow but upgrading your front stage speakers will . The 7's will sound outstanding with or without a seperate amp but of course will improve with a amp . I say get a pair of 7II's and dont look back thats my 2 cents ; )

• Moderators

Going from 5.1 to 7.1 isnt going to give you a wow but upgrading your front stage speakers will .

Totall agree. One thing to keep in mind is that when you add two additional speakers, your will be significantly reducing the wattage per speaker. I found this out with the receiver in my signature. It's a 130w/ch but when you have 7.1, it drops down to a measly 55w/ch. The Yamaha website says it is 130w/ch with all channels driven but that's just not true. According to actual bench tests, each time you add a pair of speakers, the wattage was reduced.

Take a look at my comment here regarding this as well as the link to the test results.

It's hard to argue with your advice. My only hesitation with the 7's is their size and then I would need to upgrade the center to the RC64. I'm more interested in higher quality at a lower volume. As it is the 82's are plenty loud. will the XPA-3 give a good bump at lower sound level? Then later I can go for the 7's if I'm not satisfied. Thanks

• Moderators

I'm more interested in higher quality at a lower volume.

External amp will do that

will the XPA-3 give a good bump at lower sound level?

External amp adds better separation of sound and musical instruments as well as adds a solid bottom end

Going from 5.1 to 7.1 isnt going to give you a wow but upgrading your front stage speakers will .

Totall agree. One thing to keep in mind is that when you add two additional speakers, your will be significantly reducing the wattage per speaker. I found this out with the receiver in my signature. It's a 130w/ch but when you have 7.1, it drops down to a measly 55w/ch. The Yamaha website says it is 130w/ch with all channels driven but that's just not true. According to actual bench tests, each time you add a pair of speakers, the wattage was reduced.

Take a look at my comment here regarding this as well as the link to the test results.

Very good point !!

Thanks but keep in mind if the 7's will fit you will get use to there size that was one of my concerns going from Paradigm studio 60's the 7's dwarf them but after a while you get use to the size. They dont look as big now but they sure sound big and I also picked up more low volume detail compared to my studios but if you would compare it to your 82's I would think so also but thats just speculation on my part . As Youthman mentioned you will for sure pick up low volume detail with better dynamics with the xpa-3 . Even though nearly 6 x's the cost of the xpa-3 you'll get 10 x's the improvement in performance imo going to 7's but make sure they'll fit into your budget and of course your HT partner lol. I think you could get away with keeping your 62 center without upgrading to 64 and as a matter of fact its something im considering but im not sure at this point but I might take the extra 600 dollar difference and invest in some seperates and if im not happy with the 62 matching with my 7's I could always upgrade later . But this much I do know a center speaker shouldnt be takened lightly because its around 70% to 80% of your sound with movies . I've mis-matched centers before over the years and its still sounded outstanding not being matched but my concern would be the difference in performance between the 62 and 64 not so much matching . Sorry got side tracked a little so back to your choice get the 7's and if it doesnt fit into your budget get the XPA-3 you wont be disapointed imo .