adding speakers

confused1

i am new in the home theater area, but want to set up a home theater. i have 2 heresy speakers that i bought in 1985. i am looking at adding a center and two rear speakers. i am considering the rs 42s with the rc 42 or the rs 52s and the rc 52. my room is 20 X 20 with vaulted ceiling. will the heresys overpower the 42s? do i need to go to the 52s or will the 42s work?

Definetely try and find a Heresy or Academy for the center. You can likely get a pair of Heresy cheaper than an Academy, and it would be preferred anyway.

I would suggest going all the way up to the RS62 to keep up with the Heresy. You can level match any speakers to each other and they will play nice together, however, if you go with the RS42, you'll be holding the Heresy back. If your tastes are for letting it rip, go with the 62. Not just my opinion, this was told to me just yesterday by a rep at Klipsch.

Welcome to The Forum!

I'm Confused! [:D]

Ok..... See my signature.

I have used many speakers with my Beloved H Is.

The RC** will be a very poor choice for a center.

I reccomend an Academy; KV4, KV3 or KG 2.2/2.5 for a center.

All of these combos have worked pretty well for me; with my current KV4 being the best. (I have not owned an Academy).

It blends nicely; using my receiver's EQ for each channel has made it nearly seamless.......

As mentioned another Heresy would be ideal; but difficult to set up in an existing living room.

For the surrounds, I reccomend (again) Heresies, or KG 2.2/2.5.

(My SS3s are rare and work quite well for me; being wall mounted.) If going RS; at LEAST 52s........

Good Luck.

ironsave,

thanks for the advice. i looked on line for the items you suggested...hard to find and i am a little hesitant to buy on line ( craigs list, ebay) as i am new in this arena and i really dont plan on spending a lot of time swapping speakers in and out. Also, i dont want to loose the look and feel of my family room, i just want a quality ht that sounds great, but is not over bearing in the room. the sales guy at the store i am shopping also suggested in wall speakers r-5650-s for rears. the rs 42 and rs 52 are big speakers and in my room look out of place. Any thought on the in wall speakers?

I have only demo'ed in wall speakers at the store.

IMHO, hard to know what they will really sound like mounted in YOUR wall....

Finding items like the KV4 is not easy.... it is a patience game. The "Garage Sale" section is a big resource......

The good part is used speakers are CHEAP. My KV 4 was $150; My H Is were $250 and my SS-3s were $120. My receiver was $140.

Good Luck.

They might need to be tall stands.

Sorround speakers need to be above your ears, see the THX site, roughly 2 feet.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/#5.1

I would get at least 1 Heresy for the Center, 2 more to make 5 Heresy speakers would be the best.

I would really try to keep the timbre match up front, when sounds pan form left to right of vise versa when the sound goes from one of the Heresy to the RC it will not match and just not sound right. Vocals that pan from one side of the room will be really bad.

I have used RS-7 in the back with both Forte IIs and La Scalas up front and it that was never an issue.

But up front even an Academy does not blend well the Forte IIs and La Scalas.

Mint Heresy Pair on the Bay for $499

No affiliation with the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-HERESY-HOO-PERFECT-/150513355209?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item230b4b89c9

Buy them to get toward Five, or buy them for 499 sell one for $200 and for $300 you have a great looking Center that has timbre Matching.

Personally I would by these plus one more and have an all Heresy set up.

I prefer my speakers to be on the floor or on stands depending on the style of speaker. In wall speakers or on-wall mounting of speakers limits what re-arranging you'll be able to do to the room if you choose to do so.

Having a center speaker is not an absolute necessity for home theater use. Like others have said, another Heresy or an Academy are going to be your best picks. If you can't fit or find either of those, just enjoy the two Heresys up front. Getting a mis-matched center speaker will stand out like a sore thumb as far as sounding tonally different than your Heresys.