"Vintage" receiver help...

jrod

ANY advice/comments would be welcome guys... I'm going to look at a Sherwood s-7200 (built '73-'76, 60 watts/ch) tomorrow. Does anyone know anything about this unit? I've done the obligatory Google search, it looks as though it was a decent piece of hardware. Nothing super special, but quite servicable for my first 2-channel set-up. 50 bucks on CL.

As this is my first foray into the dedicated 2-channel realm, what should I look for in a unit? I will be running my spare rf-82s until some suitable Heritage (Heresy, Forte, Chorus) come along.

Thanks in advance!

Jrod

i'd want to see that it powers up first of all. then i'd want to hear it, so seller s/b able to have some speakers available. see if you get static from volume pot, lights work, etc. try as many of the inputs as you can, line level and phono. if they work, you s/b ok for $50.

Thank you for the quick reply, gnat!

It does power up, and both channels put out sound. Those are the facts I know.

I'm taking my rb-25s (most portable, and I know what they are supposed to sound like) to demo.

What kind of price could I be looking at for a full-service check up from my local vintage audio mechanic?

Sherwood s-7200 (built '73-'76, 60 watts/ch)

Jrod,

I have seen many reports of the wattage(20, 30, 32, 40,60). Either way, $50.00 doesn't seem crazy if everything works. Look for the tuner to be aligned, lights working, and get your sniffer all cleaned out so you can check for unusual odors. I wouldn't worry too much if the sound is a little scratchy. A little pots(contact) cleaner should take care of that.

Bill

Sherwoods of that vintage were well thought of at the time. Not as flashy as the Marantz 22 series, or as over the top as Sansui or Pioneer offerings, but good solid performers. Main drawback, as I recall, was a somewhat noisy phono section. For fifty bucks, how far wrong can you go?

Around St. Louis, you'd have to figure on $85 or so for a routine cleaning and checkout, with maybe some tuner alignment thrown in.

Well gents, I got the Sherwood home Saturday and hooked it up... Very scratchy on the volume knob, so much so that I was scared of damaging my speakers. I wasn't really that surprised, or worried, I've heard this is a very common problem with older receivers, "dirty pots"? I think that's what it's called. Oh well, I'll just get it serviced, a guy in Cleveland quoted me "around $75". Respected place, good service....turn around time 3 WEEKS!! He says "bring it in on Monday". Done.

So here I am yesterday perusing my local-ish CL when I stumble upon an add selling a Marantz 2215b and a Technics TT (sl-dd22). Well, I happen to be in the market for a (cheap)TT, as well so I decided to give them a look. Long story short... I have the Marantz home and hooked up! This thing is beautiful (original wood case, not a scratch on the face, all lights work), and it sounds great! Love the warmth. TT in excellent shape as well. The 2215 and the TT for a grand total of.....$50. I can't get over how good looking the Marantz is, I see how some people fall in love with them (I know Tuned4Life (Doug) has like 8 of them, and not this little guy, the monster 2325s)

So for now the Sherwood will be headed back to CL. Would love to recoup my $50 from it... But, who knows, maybe I'll just hold on to it [;)]

Jrod

That's a sweet deal. When I started reading the thread I thought that I'd put a good word in for an old Marantz! You beat me to the punch. Nice score.

I picked up a 2240 a few weeks ago for 40 bucks. It sounds GREAT although the volume pot is a tad messed up. The left channel is a bit reluctant to get going, but once it does its fine at louder volumes. I peered into the cabinet and its quite dirty. I have yet to dig into it, so it may be a simple detox....(for me) and Deox for the unit. It's my first piece of Marantz gear and its very nice. According to the web, it was built in 1974 and retailed for almost 600 bucks. So, not a cheap piece of gear. I was going to give it my daughter for Xmas, but she's getting a big Onkyo stack now. ;) Well, unless I find something more suitable on CL in the next few weeks! Then I'll sell the Onkyo gear.

I also have a nice old G5700 Sansui which I highly recommend. 75 watts and a gorgeous design...nicer than the Marantz. But the tuner section on the Marantz is really amazing. There are 6 tuners in the house and the Marantz 2240 is far and away the best.

Congratulation on the great deal! I have seen empty Marantz wood cases alone for 200 bucks!!

On the Sherwood, with the power off, try turning the volume knob back and forth a couple of dozen times real fast. Sometimes the "exercise" is all it needs to be listenable. Then listen to it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Those 22 series Marantz were really great products. As Mr. O'Brien, the man running the McIntosh clinic said when he checked out my 2270 - it may have been the first one he'd seen, as he seemed genuinely surprised at how good it was, "They have some real engineers over there."