Promedia 4.1 vs. Logitech z560 vs. Altec Lansing 641 vs. Boston Acoustics BA7800??

Gluegun

So.... here is what I have read about each of these 4.1 systems:

Promedia 4.1: A little overpriced, but less so now that there is a price drop. The sub is pretty boomy, but it has more highs due to the fact that it has a tweeter, unlike the z560. Unfortunately, the highs are harsh due to this implimentation of horn loading. Supposedly, this doesn't have good imaging unless you put the speakers at ear level and point them directly at you.

Logitech z560: Louder than the Promedia 4.1, very inexpensive, but it doesn't have a tweeter. This isn't that much of a problem, as they get good extension anyway. It has great bass, very loud, but it is difficult to turn down. Supposedly, Logitech has been making revisions (such as letting you turn the bass down to neutral) without telling anyone. The problem is getting the most recent speaker.

Altec Lansing 641: Supposedly equal to the z560. I hear that the bass is tighter than the z560, but does not go as low... Compared to the z560, you have greater control over the quantity of bass in this system. I think that these have tweeters, and therefore have good highs.

Boston Acoustics BA7800: This system, which you can only get from Gateway, is supposedly teh best of all of these. for $250, it is louder than the z560, has tweeters that actually sound good, and has a punchier sub than the z560 that goes just as low. Supposedly, this will be the best of all of these systems, but you have to go to a Gateway store to find it, or order it online. This also is known to have really great midrange and highs, and good imaging, to boot. Also, unlike Klispch and Logitech, this seems to give continuous RMS specs instead of Burst RMS, which means it stretches the truth in this aspect far less.

You can buy it here:

http://www.gateway.com/products/gca/snda/ba7800.asp?seg=hm

Here is a review:

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Ca t=&Board=Forum4&Number=52508&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Also, the Boston Acoustics system is based off of this, which is just plain badass:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=161&sortBy=price&productId=2368

Does anyone have any more information on any of these systems??

------------------

"Feh."

This message has been edited by Gluegun on 04-07-2002 at 07:28 PM

you have it wrong on the promedia 4.1, boomy bass?! the whole point of getting a promedia over teh z-560 is that the promedia's DON'T have boomy bass. tight bass is what promedia's have. and at $249... that is cheaper than the promedia v2.400 was! what a great price! imaging is always pretty good, but just improves when you have them setup correctly.

the logitechs are louder than promedia 4.1's, but not quality loudness, and if played loud for any extended time, they have the tendency to cook the amp, unlike promedia's which have an automatic turn off when they have been running loud too long. they would benifit with a tweeter, but it is not too obvious.

altec lansings are good and have a tweeter Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

I was under the impression, from what I have read, that only the Promedia 5.1 had a 'non-boomy' subwoofer...and that the z560's sub is better than the 4.1 if you manage to turn it down enough.

Also, from what I heard with my own ears (granted, at Best Buy.. but STILL..), was that the Promedia 4.1 was boomy..

I dunno... at the $250 point, I'd definitely go with the BA7800's based on what I had read.

although, at $140, the Promeia 4.1's, 641's, and z560's seem relatively equally matched. Is it possible to get the Pro 4.1's at that price?

By the way, I also read that Logitech HAS been 'streamlining' the z560's (ie, making little fixes without telling anyone...). Aren't the problems you spoke of simply from the original batch??

------------------

"Feh."

This message has been edited by Gluegun on 04-07-2002 at 09:06 PM

you won't find the promedia 4.1 from an authorized dealer below $240.

if you are debating for a cheaper 4.1 system, the Altec vs LogiTech, I think I would go with the Altec's. I think they have better bass (not so boomy), and I like their tweeter, or at least dislike the lack of a tweeter on the Z-560's.

But you will just have to listen to both, figure the cost differences, and make your decision from that. I also would go for the Altecs because of their more professional look to them, they dont look like toys.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Justin,

Well, regardless, it seems that the Promedia 4.1 is overpriced, especially with the BA7800 whooping up on, well, everything, for $260 after shipping...

Add to this the fact that lots of sources say the z560's and the PM 4.1's and the 641's are equally matched (often an A=B and B=C thing ), so I'm thinking that the 4.1's are really kinda not in the running at this point. Hell, if logitech comes out with a 5.1 version of those BA7800's, the Promedia 5.1's might not even be in the running...

------------------

"Feh."

This message has been edited by Gluegun on 04-08-2002 at 01:22 AM

"you have it wrong on the promedia 4.1, boomy bass?! the whole point of getting a promedia over teh z-560 is that the promedia's DON'T have boomy bass."

I'm sorry but I have to say I thoroughly disagree.

There is only ONE Klipsch multimedia sub that doesn't produce boomy bass and that's the excellent 5.1 sub (The rest of the system leaves me lukewarm for detail and soundstage, as does the Pro Media line in general, but that's another story entirely).

The Logitech sub is almost on par with that particular sub and definitely more detailed and less boomy than the 2.400, 2.1 and 4.1 subs. Also, it doesn't rattle and roar at high volumes, something the PM4.1 sub is prone to do.

We won't get into a discussion on the Pro Media 4.1 or 5.1 sats and their various shortcoming vis a vis imaging, soundstage and detail other than to say that their "front row center" approach to imaging and soundstage (read: "flatter and more 2D in comparison to some of their lesser priced competitors") precludes me owning a set. This is not a new thing: the Pro Media line has had this characteristic since its inauguration by design. I just require a speaker system to have a great deal more of those qualities at that price point.

And finally I'd have to say that in the face of the Logitech Z-560s there is now no reason to spend money on the Pro Media line below the 5.1 level.

------------------

"Faith manages."

jms

i own every single promedia every created, every model that is, and boomy bass no. there is a difference between boomy bass and the muffle that comes when you have too much bass on the promedia 4.1, v2.400 and 2.1. port noise is different than boomy bass, and it is port noise that the 5.1's really don't have.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Roj,

Welcome to the great Klipsch BB,as you can see Justin is the resident TAD(Text Answering Device).

Your input about all things PC speakers would be great here,as I have little time for the PM section(busy at the Subwoofer section).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 04-08-2002 at 07:52 PM

Well, I know what I heard with my own ears and the Promedia 4.1 sub is boomy... I am not talking about port noise or 'normal' distortion, by the way... At Best Buy, I tweaked the subwoofer setting to 'accurate', turned off the horrendous bass boost on the portable CD player, made sure there was no port noise, and moved the sub around a bit to get the best sound, and listened closely for quality of sound on the sub...

...and the bass was still boomy.

------------------

"Feh."

This message has been edited by Gluegun on 04-08-2002 at 04:35 PM

"i own every single promedia every created, every model that is, and boomy bass no. there is a difference between boomy bass and the muffle that comes when you have too much bass on the promedia 4.1, v2.400 and 2.1. port noise is different than boomy bass, and it is port noise that the 5.1's really don't have."

I have heard every single Pro Media ever created and with the exception of the PM 5.1, boomy bass YES. The port noise is one thing but boomy and overdone bass is another thing altogether and you can dress it up any way you like but you can't change how it sounds. Bass should be tight and punchy - if you've ever heard the Monsoon MM-2000 subwoofer you'll understand what I mean - and when it ISN'T tight and punchy it's (yes, you can see it coming) Boomy.

Aparrently despite what you say Klipsch thought so too because they kept trying new designs until they got it right and the result is that the 5.1 sub finally isn't boomy or suffering from port noise.

Now all they have to do is work on their satellites but given that there have been three iterations now and they still image flat, I'm not particularly holding my breath.

------------------

"Faith manages."

jms

Hello Mr. Ears Smile.gif

"Welcome to the great Klipsch BB,as you can see Justin is the resident TAD(Text Answering Device)."

LOL!

"Your input about all things PC speakers would be great here,as I have little tome for the PM section(busy at the Subwoofer secrion)."

This was just a brief sojourn - I'm afraid I shall not tarry long on these shores...

------------------

"Faith manages."

jms

quote:

Originally posted by Roj:

"Don't worry guys, if you wanna talk to Roj or argue with him, I'll pull him back here, kicking and screaming if I have to..."

Not bloody likely...

I with ya Roj!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun:

Hey, you all can't take a little joke?

Ah, but the question really is, Can YOU take a joke?...

Biggrin.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Roj you have to pass your point here,I know ProMedia Admins will like you. Wink.gif LOL

As I know your fave PC speaker system is the LoudMedia 5.1,the loudest of em all.Now boost the bass,let the bass flow.

Now Roj can you dig that?

Gluegun,

Great review on the 3DSS board,its the first good review I read in a long time.As most web reviews are plain jokes,most take 5 minutes to write and are clearly biased towards one brand or lack substance.Again great review.

I dont agree with all the things said but overall its quite to the point.For instance the internal amp in the Swan M200 is not in any way High-End.I saw the amp myself and its a good amp...for a PC speaker but light years away from serious audiophile amps.And no I am not biased here.

As you may or may not have noticed I am going to order the Swan M200 and Swan M1 monitor speakers($999 on the site).The M1's should compare very well to the Contour 1.1,the Contour 1.1 is THE best minotor under $2000,none so far did even match its efortless,natural and lifelike highs and midrange to make the competition week in the knees.When I first did audition the Contour 1.1 I was awestruch by the bass(I am talking sub 40Hz bass!)these tiny marvels generate!

So I cant wait to get my M200,they will join my PC speaker army.The M1's,well they may replace the Totel ROKK,Klipsch RSW10 as sub and Celeste 4050i(integrated amp).

I will report about the Swans for sure.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by Underhanded Penguin:

Justin, is it possible that your number of posts are increasing exponentially on this bulletin board? it seems to have doubled every time I look at it.

-UP

it has not doubled for months... just made it past 5900 last week.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support