DSI "Green" Power strip in place of auto turn on/ 12 volt trigger

superedge88

I have two subwoofers that like many others, simply do not have a good auto turn on. Some auto turn ons either are not sensitive enough and require a very large bass tone to "wake up" the subwoofer or they time out after only a minute or so of very little bass. I decided to try out one of these.

http://www.notestation.com/greenpowerstrip.htm

I had tossed around this idea for a while, and found these guys on ebay for $20 shipped (and are on sale this weekend for $15.99 shipped which I missed out on)

I simply plugged my receiver into the control outlet on this power strip, plugged my two subs into the slave outlets, did the calibration required on the power strip and was good as gold.

Now my subwoofers (now switched to constantly "ON" ) turn on as soon as the receiver is turned on, and turn off as soon as the receiver is turned off.

Just thought I would pass on this pretty inexpensive alternative for those that hate the idea of leaving your subwoofers constantly on but previously had no way around it.

Make sure it can withstand the current draw from what's plugged in to it.

Ditto, it;s normally recomended to go straight to the wall with sub amps. You could have just left the subs in the "on" position, they don't draw any more current than when in "auto".

I used to just leave the subs constantly "ON", but it honestly really bothered me. from a longevity standpoint.

Theoreticaly it's the same as leaving them in standby. All standby does is allow the signal to get to the amp AFAIK. If you're really curious, you can get one of those watt meters. Check it in auto and then check it in the on mode. The readings should be the same.

I guess I should have explained better. My power goes out periodically, and my worry is that with the sub amps being ON all the time that I would leave the amplifiers open for damage when the power kicks back on. These sub amps only do about 600 watts MAX each, so they are far from overloading this power strip. Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion, use the idea if you like.