Dedicated cd player for 2 ch VS blu ray ?

vnzbd

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah i would love to try an oppo out after the hype the 83 has gained. I also tested that dv-37 agaisnt an newer sony upconverting dvd player, both sending the signal out via optical. I switched back and forth about 10 times. The dv-37 still obviously bettered the sony. I especially noticed that the sony just could not hit the higher piano notes on the piece of music i was testing them with

This is interesting, I find the oppo dv-980h for two channel only, very "electronic" sounding and slightly thin. My preference is the HK HD 7600II it has a much more natural sound, with great detail and it is very dynamic, open, and enveloping, at the same time with a slight warmth to it. I think you can buy one of these for about 20.00 bucks!

I'd guess it largely depends upon a) the condition of the Label disc (most Kiddies are after Half Dollar and Lady Blah Blah, so the Coltrane & Mozart stuff should be mostly trouble-free) B) the quality of the software and its error correcting capabilities and finally c) high-quality media, at least if you want them to last. I've read that burned discs won't last as long as pressed (Label) regardless. Years ago Kodak used to make Gold discs which were said to be very archival as there was less chance of them oxidizing - 'er somethin' like that. 'Course, you could just rip them and not phycially copy them at all. Either way it's quite illegal as The Industry doesn't even want you copying for backup purposes the stuff you yourself purchased. Therefore, my advice to you is to print this thread and then eat it immediately.

vnzbd,

If you already have a good transport, go with a good DAC like the DacMagic. If you want 3D or an updated Blu-ray, you're probably not going to do better than the Oppos for the the money. Even if you do want a new Blu-ray you can get an inexpensive Blu-ray player and get something like a DacMagic with the player and be quite happy for 2 channel listening. That can save you a chunk of change.