Built a sub for my La Scalas

tromprof

I have enjoyed reading about the DYI sub builds and thought I would add my own. Over the period of several months I built this with lots of help from an engineer friend who has an incredible shop in his basement. Thanks to him the project took 4x longer and came out 10x better than if I had done it completely myself. The sub is Bill Fitzmaurice's "tuba table" and does a fantastic job working with the La Scalas, and has bass that makes my mighty K-horns seem somewhat lacking. I chose to slightly alter the plans by using 3/4 inch baltic birch for the exterior panels instead of 1/2 inch, which required reworking some of the dimensions so the important interior dimensions would be correct. Here are the build pics: The first cut!

Finished and in place! A nice water based stain, and several coats of a wipe on polyurethane. I also had a 1/4 inch glass top made for it. I am using a 300w "Bash" subwoofer amp with the crossover around 90htz and a Berhinger DEQ2496 to even things out. Music is fantastic, and it is really fun to turn it up a bit for movies. The Lord of the Rings was indescribable, the whole house was buzzing. [:P]

post-28706-13819634478036_thumb.jpg