Klipsch Reference I series vs. Klipsch Reference II series

arie01

Hello, I am building my first Klipsch Reference series home theater speakers.
I have the RC-52 center speaker and I'm looking to buy the RB and RS speakers.

A seller from NY told me to stay with the Reference I series because they are better built then the Reference II and they will last longer.
He said that since the Reference II are made in China, they wanted to save on shipping so they made the magnets smaller than those on the Reference I to make them lighter and they break more easily.

The specs say that the RB-51 are 2Kg heavier than the RB-51 II.

Does anybody know if there is any truth to that?
Are the Reference I really better than the Reference II?

I appreciate any help in that regard.

Thank you,

A seller from NY told me to stay with the Reference I series because they are better built then the Reference II and they will last longer

I am guessing the seller you are speaking of is talking about Reference IV(RC-52, RF-52, RF-82, etc.) and the newest incarnations(RF-82II, RF-7II, RF-52II, etc.).

I can neither confirm or deny that statement.

He said that since the Reference II are made in China, they wanted to save on shipping so they made the magnets smaller than those on the Reference I to make them lighter and they break more easily.

All Reference IV speakers are mfr'd in China except for the real wood veneered RF-63's, RF-83's, RC-64, which are/were mfr'd in Hope, Arkansas. The same goes for the new Reference models except for RF-7II, RC-64II, which also are made in Hope.

Maybe others will chime in and better give reasons why the new models are slightly lighter in weight.

Bill

Hello Willand and thank you for writing me back.

Just to clarify, I mentioned to this seller that I want to buy RS-42 II and RB-51 II and he suggested me to go with RS-42 and RB-51 instead.
There was no mentioning of any RF speaker at all. I'm sure that the sellet meant to speak about the speakers I mentioned and not other.

Thank you,
Arie

Just to clarify, I mentioned to this seller that I want to buy RS-42 II and RB-51 II and he suggested me to go with RS-42 and RB-51 instead.

Considering the fact that you already have the RC-52(Ref. IV), I too suggest you get the RS-42's and RB-51's. If you can find a dealer that is discounting them considerably to make room for the new models, that would be a better financial choice. Otherwise, it should be fine mixing new ref with ref IV.

Bill

Hello Willand,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please specify why you also recommend going with the RS-42 and not the RS-42 II and RB-51 instead of the RB-51 II?
At least in terms of frequenciy response of the RB-42-II, I see that they don't go as low as the RS-42 but they go 1KHz higher than the RS-42. Would that make any difference, I don't know. I'll have to try and decide for myself.

I found a pair of of RS-42 at Future Shop for $230+tax each, so I ordered two. Should get them by mail soon.

Thank you,
Arie

Could you please specify why you also recommend going with the RS-42 and not the RS-42 II and RB-51 instead of the RB-51 II?

As I pointed out in the last post, you already have the RC-52(Ref. IV model). Why not build a system with all Ref. IV speakers at a better price point? They are voiced matched. I am not saying that the new Reference series RS-42II and RB-51II aren't voice matched to the RC-52 but I am certain that the RS-42 and RB-51 are.

Bill

Hi Willand,

Sounds convincing enough.

In my last post I mentioned that I ordered a pair of RS-42, so now all I have to get is a pair of RB-51 to complete my set.
I also have a Synergy Sub-10. So another $350 or so and I'm done.

I will post some new comments on performance once I get all the speakers and hook them up.

Thank you for all your inputs.

My guess is that there isn't much difference in the lower end Reference (i.e., everything not made in Hope) because of what others are reporting in other Forums and that Klipsch CS seems to think there is nothing wrong with mix-and-matching these speakers...The RF-7II/RC-64II are different animals and I haven't seen if the older RF-7s mate well with the RC-64II, but feel the RF-83 may not...Of course this is all second hand and speculation so I am sure a Klipsch Rep will come on let us know if I'm wrong. [8-|]

Hello,

As I said in one of my posts above, I already have the RC-52 and I just got a good deal on a pair of RS-42. Now I have a great deal on a brand new pair of RB-51 II and I'm wondering if that would be a good addition to what I already have or should I wait for a deal on RB-51 instead.

Can anybody give me an advice?

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the RC-52 and I am debating the RB-51 or RB-51 II as well. I like the notion of having everything in the same series but one thing I did notice is that the crossover frequency on the RB-51 II is closer in frequency to that of the RC-52. While I realize that there is more to voicing a speaker than just the crossover frequency, I can't help but wonder if the RB-51 II will be a better match because of it.