Dampening LaScalas bass bin side walls with sand

FranJ

I have also added additional 1/4" of mdf to the entire sides of mine with another layer of 1/2" mdf over that . I only thickened the cabinet 2/3 up from the bottom with the 1/2" mdf to cover the bass bin...lots of screws and glue. Another thing I did was add dynamat on the rear of the cabinet with a 1/2" layer of ply over that and another layer of 1/2 " ply slightly smaller over that...so 2 layers on back with dynamat underneath. I finished the sides/top and some of front with oak veneer. If I knew how I would post pics. All of this did make a huge improvement in the sound quality but can't seem to get that last little resonance removed. I noted in prior post that I may remove the braces that I also have in the bin and see that helps lower the resonance frequency. sootshe do the sides of you bins still vibrate at louder levels? just curious.

post-20962-13819685539172_thumb.jpg

by the way sootshe your speakers look amazing.....nice work....do you think the port mod changed tuning in upper bass any?

No, not in the upper bass.............mainly the lower end. Since changing amps, I now have the ports plugged. With the new amp the bass was very soft withe the ports open. When I closed them up the bass came back to the tightness & level that I am used to.................................................and no, I don't get any resonance any more regardless of volume level......................ENJOY!

The back shouldn't really be resonating, since it is tied to the doghouse by the expansion ramps. The splitter is also on there as well.

A lot of the guys on the Lansing Heritage forums don't like crossing over at 400Hz, as you get a mess with the lower vocals starting in the 300-400Hz range and higher into the mid horn.

Bruce

I could feel a good bit of vibration on the back panel so thought I would address it. My reasoning was that is the area the woofer slot fires at first so alot of energy is present there....anyway the panels I added definitly reduced the vibration in that area alot. I tried to build up the cabinets without making them too heavy to move around....but they are still a work in progress.

• 4 weeks later...

through some further investigation/modifications I feel I have reduced resonance in my bins almost completely. The first step was installing a moulding into the back inside corners of the bin to smooth the 90 degree corner there. I then got bold and coated from the back to where the horn begins to flare with a textured bed liner...installed 2 dowel rods center front to back per side for bracing and coated tham as well. The liner I used was a low odor type I found at Autozone...wife attacked can after I left it sitting somewhere for a half hour so I cant find it right now to get info. When she comes home I'll pay the ransome and get it back...I hope. I also coated the inside of the woofer box with this. Finally I made a brace for the front of the bin out of red oak that sits on the outside for the most part...just recessed in 1/4" to lock onto bin...then a small piece to connect to tip of horn for rigidity. My reasonings for all this are that I believe standing waves develop within ths bin and I wanted to reduce this, and also deaden the plywood. I made effort to keep any braces as low bulk and out of the way as possible as not to change tuning of bin. I also think that shelf type bracing creates another reflective surface within the bin when used. I had reservations coating with bedliner because I have read the paint/finish within a horn should be gloss...but I have heard a very positive effect from these changes, an the liner I used was not that heavy bodied as most,,,it has I believe sand and rubber particles suspended in it....and I only used it on that part of the horn that is straight. Bass/midbass still has same quality but more controlled and even tighter to my ears...I love these speakers.

post-20962-13819687369116_thumb.jpg