Ebay shipping questions - dammed if you do - dammed if you don't

Guest " "

I have gotten some scary stuff in the mail from ebay sellers. I think the scariest was when I bought a large collection of tubes that I could use which came in a repairmans tube carry case. the case was pictured in mint condition. so i get, via UPS, the case unboxed and unwrapped with just a shipping sticker on the outside and no packing at all on the tubes that I had plans for. seller said whats the beef....it's a rugged case....btw..the case wasn't even locked. The next all time favorite was a pair of k-33 woofers that where just placed in a box face to face. no packing, woofers not tied together, they where just placed in the box. I recieved the woofers with the magnets seperated from the baskets. recieved a few heavy amps just placed in a box with newspaper balls dropped on the tops. the handles get bent and the rack ears get bent. so now I ask folks if they are going to pack using the carrier recomendations toy use 2' of packing and a new and unrecycled box. matter of fact, most insurance claims are rejected if the box is used. Anyway, so now I asked folks. Some comeback and asked for a few bucks more to do an adequate packing job. some come back offended that I would even ask.

Sometimes Ebay sellers will give great detail in describing their packing technique. I really appreciate those guys and try to be one myself.

I got a Greenlee portable bandsaw once and watched the UPS man drop it about 2ft at my door. I opened the box and the frame was cracked right where he dropped it.[:(]

I sold an Akai 636 reel to reel to a fellow in New York on ebay. He was so concerned about it arriving in good condition, he sent me all of the packing materials he wanted me to use before I shipped. I'll give him credit, he did send some really useful (self crafted) packing pieces that were designed to protect the unit very well. Needless to say the deck arrived without any problem and it saved me some cash. Of course, this is the exception to most ebay sales.....