Amplifers

fifteen20s

I have my speakers.

Front – Klipsch RF-82II

Rear- Klipsch RF-62II

Center- Klipsch RC-52II (subject to upgrade)

I am having issues deciding on an amplifier. I am leaning heavily on an Anthem MCA 50 but everyone in the world seems to be in love with Emotiva.

The pre/pro was easy to decide on, technology grows fast enough I likely will not have it longer then 3-4 years. Amplifiers are different, they pass a signal along amplifying its strength.

With an amplifier, the Anthem is pushing my $$ limit but I am a firm believer in purchasing quality, getting what you pay for then expecting it to have a usable life of many many years. Is Emotiva really that quality of a product? It’s just hard to believe that something 1/3 the MSRP cost is of comparable quality as higher end amps.

• Moderators

My Parasound amp is the first amp I have ever owned and I have heard Bill's B&K amp. You are wise doing your research. You want to invest in an amp that is going to continue to deliver solid years down the road. Not sure how long Emo has been making amps, but in comparison to other amp manufacturers, they definitely do not have the long history of some companies.

With that said, that does not mean they necessarily make less of a quality amp as say the Anthem. The way I look at it, they have to start out somewhere. If they are a relatively new company and want to get their foot in the door, they can't come out of the gate with amps costing as much as the bigger manufacturers can since they don't have a history.

Here is a thought. Why not check out the Emporium thread in the Emotiva Forum and see if you can find a used Emo amp. They typically sell quick so I don't have any doubt that you would be able to resell it and get your money back. If it meets your expectations, then you just saved yourself a ton of cash that could be put to other areas of your system. If you decided to sell it, you wouldn't be out any money.

The only hesitation I would see is even if the amp sounds great, you truly don't know how long it will last, but I guess that can be said about any electronic item.

Best wishes in whatever you decide.