VTVM's Analog vs. Digital

It depends on how you are going to use it. If you need to know or set to an exact value, then digital is best. If you are using it to find maximum or minimum values while aligning equipment, then analog is best. Some, but not all of the analog meters are less suseptible to RF interference also. Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

Will use in my first time attempt to work on old some vintage tube equipment. Instructions state that I will need to make voltage, resistance and capacitance measurements. Will also need to check and adjust bias settings.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-12-2002 at 06:28 PM

I've been around long enough to give some observations.

For the most part, real vacuum tube volt meters are no longer available new. You may have seen the requirement for a VTVM in the manual for piece of tube gear. That was what was available when the manual was written.

Now, the vacuum tubes, moving vane meter, and intricate switching gear is replaced by transistor and microprocessor based multimeters. They do the same, and more.

Most all new ones have digital readouts. Some of those have, also, bar graphs. The latter is good if you have to peak a reading. I.e. twist a trimming resistor to some peak reading.

Some multimeters have the ability to measure the value of a capacitor. At least one lead of the cap must be disconnected from the circuit to do this. Some few will also measure an inductor. But this may not be needed in your situation.

Going back to the capacitor issue. If you're working with a vintage piece of gear, the caps might be electrically "leaky" having picked up some resitance. A general function multimeter with capacity measurement is not going to measure that, at least from what I see. So a dedicated LCR meter might be necessary in addition to a multimeter.

An investment in good test equipment is worthwhile. Otherwise you pull out your hair trying to figure out what component might be good or bad, without confidence.

I'll page throught the Parts Express and give you some specific advice if you give more information.

Regards,

Gil

Gil,

Thanks for further clarification. Will be grateful for any parts express info.

I want to begin replacing caps, resistors if needed & perform checks of an Eico HF-81 Integrated. You're right, the old manual refers to using a VTVM for various checks. Earlier in the year while at Upscale Audio's site, I linked to an ad that I thought said sale of Digital VTVM's. Could be it was for Digital Multimeter, which could perform similar functions. Haven't been able to locate that link again.

From reading your reply, sounds like I may need and LCR meter for measurement of inductance, capacitance and resistance, as well as a good multimeter? I'm definately a newbie, but want to learn. So before begining the project, felt I should have the neccessary tools & test equipment to do the repairs properly.

Hope this adds some insight as to what I hope to accomplish.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-13-2002 at 12:25 PM