Looking for a sub

Inkabodpain

ED A2-300

It digs deeper than your present sub. $415 shipped. It's a favorite for under $500. You can read about it endlessly in various places--avsforums etc.

I'm also looking for a good sub, thanks for the suggestion and I hope to hear from others to get a few more suggestions. Not that yours isn't good, its just good to have options!

The a2-300 goes deeper and louder than the previous two suggestions--important for HT.

I think the OP is looking for something that does music nicely as well as just strictly HT.

I am not about to get into the whole "this sub versus that sub" debate.

I believe a sealed sub will most often perform better for music than most ported subs.....

My opinion based on my experience.....

Epik; Rythmik; SVS; ED; HSU; Emotiva; Velodyne; etc..... they all make good subs.

To each his own.......

FWIW; The ED sub has a lead time. When I checked it was about 6-8 weeks.

I had my Emotiva the third morning after it was ordered.......

Don't mistake me helping the OP for a pissing contest. Big Smile If I can read correctly, his post asks for sub suggestions for his HT and mentions nothing of music. In which case, deeper and louder is better.

True; He does not ask about music.

In the end; it is his choice.....

That ED sub was on my short list last spring; but I did not like that there was such a big lead time.

Myself; and Big Cliff got our subs within 2 weeks time of each other. He was able to demo mine with some pro Cornwalls at a gathering.

I think he was impressed..... (I could not demo his Hsu as he was unable to bring it).......

OP; the beauty is; you have many choices; and depending on what you are looking for; you can find a good sub.......

Don't mistake me helping the OP for a pissing contest. Big Smile If I can read correctly, his post asks for sub suggestions for his HT and mentions nothing of music. In which case, deeper and louder is better.

True; He does not ask about music.

In the end; it is his choice.....

That ED sub was on my short list last spring; but I did not like that there was such a big lead time.

Myself; and Big Cliff got our subs within 2 weeks time of each other. He was able to demo mine with some pro Cornwalls at a gathering.

I think he was impressed..... (I could not demo his Hsu as he was unable to bring it).......

OP; the beauty is; you have many choices; and depending on what you are looking for; you can find a good sub.......

Matt, yes I was very impressed like I said earlier it made the Cornwalls come alive, before the addition of the Emotiva frankly I was

a bit disappointed with the Cornwalls. So when are you bringing that bad boy down south for an A/B comparison. The bad part about

that is if the Emotiva wins I will be on the prowl trying to sell some other sub I have to get the Emotiva. Of my 3 subs I like my HSU the

best which I would put above a Sunfire D12. That being said though the Sunfire is in HT and the HSU in my 2 channel setup

Matt "Come On Down!".

Not to hijack the thread, but what would you guys recomment for someone using it 60% HT/40% music?

I'm kind of thinking one of these:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html

I would consider other brands as well, not loyal to HSU, just have read some good things about them.

Not to hijack the thread, but what would you guys recomment for someone using it 60% HT/40% music?

I'm kind of thinking one of these:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html

They are both geat subs if you have $100 more to spend then the VTF 2 MK3 is the winner.

Not as worried about the $100 as I am having too much sub. I know you can never have too much sub!!

I recently bought a duplex, rent half and live in half plan, so I don't want too much bass that I'm offending my tenants! But the VTF 2 MK3 does dig deeper and would probably sound better and if I set the level where its under control I should be ok...

I guess I'd like to stick around that $500 - $600 range as far as money, so any suggestions in that range that are good for both HT and music would be appreciated.

Matt, yes I was very impressed like I said earlier it made the Cornwalls come alive, before the addition of the Emotiva frankly I was

a bit disappointed with the Cornwalls. So when are you bringing that bad boy down south for an A/B comparison. The bad part about

that is if the Emotiva wins I will be on the prowl trying to sell some other sub I have to get the Emotiva. Of my 3 subs I like my HSU the

best which I would put above a Sunfire D12. That being said though the Sunfire is in HT and the HSU in my 2 channel setup

Matt "Come On Down!".

That A/B comparison sounds like it would benefit me too. You guys should get together and report back your findings. I'm not opposed to the Emo, but it seems to me I've read that a sealed sub isn't great for HT. Thats why I was looking at the HSU ones I pointed out. The "Variable Tuning Frequency" stuff helps be a better one to use for both music and HT, right?

Another question. Can somebody explain what this means?

Bypassable 24 dB/Oct, continuously variable 30 - 90 Hz low pass filter
The web page says the response is 18 Hz, +/- 1 dB, so I'm confused about the filter cutting it at 30 Hz. I'm sure I just don't understand so please educate me!

Various

1) I think the smaller HSU would disappoint for HT. Not enough extension.

2) Ported subs are preferred for home theater. Of course, let's not get carried away. This does not mean that ported subs will ruin your music.

3) The filter caps how high the sub will play. The higher the frequency from the sub, the easier it is to isolate in a room.

Various

1) I think the smaller HSU would disappoint for HT. Not enough extension.

2) Ported subs are preferred for home theater. Of course, let's not get carried away. This does not mean that ported subs will ruin your music.

3) The filter caps how high the sub will play. The higher the frequency from the sub, the easier it is to isolate in a room.

Thanks for the response.

OK its go time, I just sold both my subs on craigslist. tonight so I"m sub-less!

So I need to make a decision now for a replacement. I've read the review on the Emo Ultra Sub 12 and it sounds great for the money, The HSU has a couple that catch my eye, and a few other brands.

I wasn't in a hurry, I put my two Klipsch Sub 10s (crap) on Craigslist just to see if someone would bite because I aways seem to end up with extra stuff sitting around but they went fast so now I've got to fill the gapping hole in my system! SVS SB12-NSD is another one that comes to mind.