Do horns sound tinnish

m00n

Ok so I have a question about horns. In particular the RS-3II's. I have not purchased my system yet, but one thing my wife is afraid of is that it will sound very tinny. She hates a lot of treble. Anyone give some insight?

Thanks

------------------

m00n

Don't worry--they sound great.

The only time I hear harshness is at very high levels. No wife will allow high levels! LOL

Set all your speakers to small. It makes a difference.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony TC-WE425 Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Rear (Just upgraded the SS-1)

Pay particular attention to the amplifier used - differences in amps are more apparent with horns. I don't know if you are in the market for new amplification; try different combinations. Have your wife do some listening once you have narrowed down some choices. Some amps that are thought of as "warm" (smoother top end) include B&K, Denon, and Parasound - maybe the forum members can comment some more on this. I've heard similar comments about the Sherbourne 5 channel units too, but no clue if they would be in your budget. For the ultimate in top end smoothness check out the tube comments over in the 2 channel forum. There are not many options in tubes for HT, but the tube fans praise the smoothness in the highs.

Could you give us a rundown of the system you are purchasing, and how you are going to use it? It will help with recommendations.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 04-12-2002 at 09:21 PM

Well, I am going to listen to this stuff tomorrow. With the exception of the DVD and TV, I am getting everything that's listed in my sig below. So the receiver is a Harman Kardon.

------------------

m00n

-------------------------

System to come:

RF-3II Floorstanding

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-10 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

m00n - that looks like a good system. The H/K goes well with the Klipsch, IMO. Hopefully you have return/exchange privilege on the gear, so you can swap out stuff if you need to make changes. Your decisions will be validated (or invalidated) when you get the gear home. If you end up buying an RSW12 or 15, though, that's OKSmile.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is it a good idea to buy speakers without spending a goodly amount of time listening to them, and if your wife is even halfway interested in the way the system sounds (consider yourself amazingly lucky!) ((LIKE ME Smile.gif )) it will make both of you a lot happier if you go to the dealer, take some tunes you know and enjoy, and LISTEN to the system for several hours before you buy it.

You both may decide the RS-3II are terrific speakers. You may not. But the only way to find out is for both of you to go listen to them. And don't fall into the trap of trying to convince yourself that you like something because you think you ought to, when in fact it's not really pushing your buttons.

Buy something you both enjoy, and you'll both enjoy it. That may sound rather banal, but think about it...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Yes I agree with Ray. I add this...ask the sales person to leave you alone and let you play alone. They have a way of playing what sounds GOOD. Not an aray of sounds. SPEND A LOT OF TIME!!!!

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony TC-WE425 Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Rear (Just upgraded the SS-1)