Do I need to have a separate Amp with Yamaha 667 with following speaker setups ?

cricket_phx

Do I need to have a separate Amp with Yamaha 667 with following setup ? or connecting yamaha 667 to these speakers wont be a problem. Also I see yamaha 667 receiver has pre amps.

I am new to this stuff, It's my first home theater sysem.

1. Yamaha RX-V667BL

2. Klipsch RF-52 II Floorstanding pair

3. Klipsch RC-52 II Center

4. Klipsch RB-41 II: - Pair

Will add Sub in few months ( Sub 10 or RW 10 or any other company) with around 200W power, I guess I will go for powered Sub.

Do you need a separate amp? No.

Will you hear an improvement in sound quality by adding an amp? I had a 663 and felt it did. The power ratings on HT receivers can be very misleading, and you're probably not getting the power you think you are from your 667,

Some guys add a three channel amp and use the receiver to power the surrounds. I got a five channel amp so if I ever went to a pre/pro I'd have all my bases covered. I don't think I'll ever go to 7.1.

Do I need to have a separate Amp with Yamaha 667 with following setup ? or connecting yamaha 667 to these speakers wont be a problem.

No you don't need an amp but it would improve everything from top to bottom. With that said, if your setup happened to be RF-7's, RC-7, and a pair of RS-7's, I would say with that receiver(good quality but low/mid model) you would need an amp. Multiple larger woofers(like RF-7's 10 inchers) do need more ooomph(current) to drive them properly when they dip far below 8ohms(more like 2.8ohms). An outboard amp not only will open things up and provide better detail, it will do all that at lower volume levels. It will also give you peace of mind when you choose to "let it rip" a bit, that you won't damage your receiver by overheating or blow your speakers.

One more thing, if you are not planning on getting a sub for a few months, setting your main speakers to "large" will also demand a little more out of your receiver's internal amps. For the most part, your Yamaha will power your setup just fine provided you do not listen to 5.0 stereo at crazy high volumes for extended listening sessions. IMO.

Bill

I see on Yamah website

7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7) Most of the R 5's speakers says 100W rating.

I am planning 5.1 setup as of now that too I am yet to get a Sub. How do I know I am putting too much pressue on receiver ? I hope it will trip down if speakers try to pull more current ? and wont damage ?

How do I know I am putting too much pressue on receiver ? I hope it will trip down if speakers try to pull more current ? and wont damage ?

You should know when you are taxing your receiver too much by the sound itself. When the power limiting circuits of the receiver kick in the sound will become thin and lifeless. These modern receivers are designed with the protection circuitry to shut things down before damage is done to either the receiver or your speakers. You should never reach a point where the volume is so high that these things occur. Adding an amp will give you several extra layers of protection. High distortion is what kills speakers and an amp will only minimize the chances of that.

As said before, your Yamaha 667 will be fine unless you are undisciplined with the volume control.

Bill

I'm also thinking about going with a Amp. Just picked up a set of RF 7's and my AVR is a Pioneer 1120k. I know nothing about amps.

Charles,

I know you got a taste of Michael's Parasound HCA-2205A with those RF-7's. All you really have to know is that it sounded goooood.[H][Y]

Bill

I use a 110 watt Yamaha to power my Rf-62s without issue. Don't buy an amp yet. Get a sub first.

One thing to remember cornfedksboy is your 110 watt Yamaha RX-V1500 is of better quality than the OPs RX-667.

I've got an old RX-V1400 (also 110 watts X 7 channels) that I use when I'm listening to my Cornwalls. I can tell you the 1400 smokes the 663 (95 watts X 7 channels) I have and on papper there isn't much difference. Yamaha uses better parts in that line including beefing up the amp section.

I use a 110 watt Yamaha to power my Rf-62s without issue. Don't buy an amp yet. Get a sub first.

One thing to remember cornfedksboy is your 110 watt Yamaha RX-V1500 is of better quality than the OPs RX-667.

I've got an old RX-V1400 (also 110 watts X 7 channels) that I use when I'm listening to my Cornwalls. I can tell you the 1400 smokes the 663 (95 watts X 7 channels) I have and on paper there isn't much difference. Yamaha uses better parts in that line including beefing up the amp section.

But after thinking about it I might still agree with your advice to get the sub first if money is tight. Then set all the speakers to small and let the sub to all the heavy lifting.

If money is tight wait on the sub and the amp. You're system will sound good to you since you don't know what your missing kind of thing so I'd say just enjoy what you have and when the money situation is better then add a sub. After listening to your new system the way it is for a while you'll appreciate the difference the additions you do later have made.

I see on Yamah website

7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7) Most of the R 5's speakers says 100W rating.

I am planning 5.1 setup as of now that too I am yet to get a Sub. How do I know I am putting too much pressue on receiver ? I hope it will trip down if speakers try to pull more current ? and wont damage ?

I read a review of my receiver on ultimateAVmag.com and they had this to say about my 95wpc X 7:

This graph shows that the RX-V663’s left channel, from Multi input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads continuously at 1 kHz, reached 0.1% distortion at 166.7 watts and 1% distortion at 190.7 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reached 0.1% distortion at 218.0 watts and 1% distortion at 245.9 watts.

With five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, the amp reached 0.1% distortion at 60.0 watts and 1% distortion at 74.9 watts. With seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, it reached 0.1% distortion at 47.3 watts and 1% distortion at 57.8 watts.

Yamaha's stated distortion of 0.09% was reached at 46.9 watts with seven channels driving 8-ohm loads. This is roughly half of the 95Wpc specified by the manufacturer, which could be why the AVR seemed to run out of gas at higher listening levels.