La Scala upgrade

Croc

After 2 years with JBL L300 i plan to go back to La Scalas.
(see previous post http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/143832.aspx)

La_Scala_and_L300_3.jpg

music - 90% jazz. moslty 50s-60s (Coltrain, Rollins, Miles, Ella, Art Peper, Peterson etc), some bluse, rock and classic.
listnening distance 4 - 4.5 m.
power amp - el34 single ended which sounds good.
i've tried in the past Yamamoto 2a3 SET and it was even better. it had no problem to drive my La Scalas.

upgrades already done:
1. wbt binding posts - great for convinience
2. xover moded from stock AA to A - i liked it much more
3. Bob Crites oil caps installed
4. jbl 2404 tweeter is connected instead of stock tweeter
5. a primitive bracing board is used to reduce bass bin vibrations

what doesn't need to be improved?
the BASS. in conjunction with REL Stadium III sub low region is absolutely covered.

what i want to improve?
the most wanted improvement is in the MIDRANGE - make it more detailed, less “dark”, “dirty” and distorted.
psl help me to understand my options.

i see various horns possible (Fastrac 1", Fastrac 2", Altec 511b, altec multi cells, K510, anything else?) and drivers (old, new, 1", 2", JBLs, Altec, etc).

budget wise i would like to keep costs on a low side.

additional factors:
-
tweeter/treble. Even with JBL 2404 tweeter the treble is a bit on a hard side - L300’s treble is “gentle” (I’m not talking about roll off)
and have a lot of air and "good" zing.
-
xover - i beleive in simple designs and definitely would like to keep La Scalas low power SET friendly.

owuld love to hear your input and thoughts.

Gennady

what i want to improve?
the most wanted improvement is in the MIDRANGE - make it more detailed, less “dark”, “dirty” and distorted.
psl help me to understand my options

I guess it won't cost on the low side, but that's a matter of someones opinion & budget. Do a search on "JubeScala". Best LaScala I've ever heard! You can use the huge 402 horn or the smaller K510

Side comment....nice looking Viva amp! I had a Viva 300B SET for a while that I obtained from an estate purchase. Very sweet amp however I only wished it had more power.

yea - Viva is really nice.
i had it pumped up with better parts and interstages which made it really hard to beat.
it drives L300 no problem at all. and this is even before i've tried it with good 300b tubes.
but for some strange reason it doesn't work well with La Scalas[:o]. my simple el34 single ended sounds much better with them.

back to upgrade topic - budget wise i would like not to go over 500$.
JubScala is interesting but i saw on one of the related threads that 402+k69 cost ~1300$[8o|], and i guees few hundreds more needed for xover.......

i thought to contact directly Al K, Dave and Bob to hear their suggestions on various options - but i thought it's much better to do this at the forum pages for better knowledge sharing and keeping info publicly available for the future.

Guest David H

what i want to improve?
psl help me to understand my options.

Gennady, Currently I only offer a 1 inch midrange horn for Lascala. The midhorn will certainly give you a smoother mid, better detail.

additional factors:
-
tweeter/treble. Even with JBL 2404 tweeter the treble is a bit on a hard side - L300’s treble is “gentle” (I’m not talking about roll off)
and have a lot of air and "good" zing.

I saw you are using a JBL 2404, are you using a tweeter attenuator with it? In my experiance the 2404 was hot in comparison to the K-77.

i beleive in simple designs and definitely would like to keep La Scalas low power SET friendly.

I agree simple networks are easy to drive, however tube amps like stable loads. You might consider a constant impedence network.

Enjoy your Lascala's

Dave

Hi Dave - thx for your input !!!

2404 doesn't sound too hot or prominent to me - definitely it's more extended than k77 - but that old dog probably didn't work above 15kHz anyway....

as to xover and impedance - i thought if current amp drives my Scalas good - why to touch it?

from your expirience how would you compare sund/performance/integration/etc of the Fastrac horn and Altec 511?

Talking about improvements i want and the midrange driver - is it OK to stay with K55 or i really shall thing about something better?

I agree simple networks are easy to drive, however tube amps like stable loads. You might consider a constant impedence network.

Enjoy your Lascala's

Dave

I am using DHA2 crossovers, very simple and constant impedance. They work VERY well with my 2A3 amps.

Bruce

Guest David H

Talking about improvements i want and the midrange driver - is it OK to stay with K55 or i really shall thing about something better?

Yes, I like the K-55. I use it in my Lascala's and KHorns.

from your expirience how would you compare sund/performance/integration/etc of the Fastrac horn and Altec 511?

Never heard the Altec 511, however I have read that its a very good horn.

as to xover and impedance - i thought if current amp drives my Scalas good - why to touch it?

If you are happy with it, no need to change a thing. I was simply making an observation.

Dave.

Al, i bet you've had expirience with both 511 and trachorn - how would you describe differences (with K55)?

i probaby will have a n opportunity to get locally for a try 511 horns - is following adapter what i need to get k55 connected to it?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260638064711

many thanks for your inputs !!!

Guest David H

i just thought:

since i use another tweeter, will get another horn, possibly another x-over and want anyway to reinforce and reveneer the cabinet - what's the point to do all this?

maybe it makes more sense to sell my La Scalas, build new nice bass bins and add "aftermarket" horn and my JBL tweeter?

if i build new reinforced bass bins - do i loose some "magic"?

maybe it makes more sense to sell my La Scalas, build new nice bass bins and add "aftermarket" horn and my JBL tweeter?

If your Lascala's are in nice shape, I would not modify them.

Building an all new lascala is not a bad idea. You could do a split box and use any top end you want.

Just on another Lascala thread discussing the DJK mod. ported Lascala's rock.

Craig 73