Heresy II to III upgrade - Grill question

muel

I am in the process of upgrading some Heresy II cabinets with Heresy III components. I never saw the HII components installed as I got the cabinets empty and without grills. I still have quite a bit of work to reveneer and finish the cabinets but I placed the components in the cabinet just to take a look.

I was surprised by how thick the front gasket is on the woofer and found it sticks out past the motorboard when placed in the routed hole. I placed a HI grill I borrowed from 1976 vintage Heresy. I know the holes don't match up but this was to see if the grill would sit flush with the outside edge of the speaker. It sticks out past the edge just a little bit which doesn't seem to look quite right. It is hard to imagine I could build or buy a grill much thinner than the HI so I am not sure how to handle this.

Also, I found an interesting difference between the Heresy models that I didn't know before. I measured the depth of the motorboard on the 1976 HI and on the 1986 HII. The HI was 11/16" deep and the HII was 7/16" deep. Not a big difference but that would make the difference of the grill looking more flush. What is the depth on the HIII? In pictures, the grills on the HIII look pretty flush. I really need to have grills on these! Would just going with the Klipsch HIII grills probably work for me? I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks for your input!

When I converted one of my Heresy IIs to a Heresy III, the new woofer appeared to sit equally flush and the grille fit just the way it did before, just a small fraction of an inch inset to the cabinet, meaning a very little under flush.

The new H-3 crossover doesn't sit flush, but the kit comes with black foam weatherstrip, so the crossover flange maintains an airtight fit to the rear face of the cabinet.

Thanks for your comments and the picture! I also talked to Steve @ Klipsch and he told me pretty much the same thing. I'm thinking I was more concerned than I needed to be so I went ahead and ordered some new HII grills from Klipsch. I was surprised that they still had some grills available for the Heresy IIs. They were over $75 for the pair shipped but it will be nice to not have to build these from scratch. I figure I could easily spend more than half that much on fabric/materials alone and I will be able to get these into the house that much quicker!

Now, I need to make the final decision on what veneer to use... so many choices. I really liked a sapele veneer but I am kind of leaning towards good ol' walnut like most of the rest of my Klipsch. I'm thinking the flat cut walnut looks the most like from the factory... at least how mine look anyway.

$75 a pair shipped versus messing around finding the material for the grille plate, the grille cloth, the badges, cutting the holes in the grille plate, gluing the cloth and the badges on, and doing it all so carefully that they look factory-made? Looks like an easy decision to me.

Hope you get them up and running soon!

Well... the grills don't come with the badges. The new style pie badges are $12 each from Klipsch so it starts to add up. They have the PSA type backing so they just press on.

It is hard to wait to hear these! Given how little time I have to work on them it is going to take a while. I'll get it done eventually. This is a labor of love as well as a learning experience. I'll share some pictures when finished. You will be able to tell how good of a job I did by how far away I take the picture... I'm hoping for 2 footers but if the shot looks like it is 20 feet away you will know that I REALLY screwed up! [:(] At least the grills should look good!

Those new metal pie-style badges look good (I bought them to replace the old plastic ones on my La Scalas) and the price is fair. When you consider the price of a new pair of Heresy IIIs, your total cost should still be quite a bargain, and you'll have that great sound.