Will the Klipsch rc-64ii work with RF-82s?!

BluBitRates

I don't have either of these speakers. But...I assume you also realize the old RC-64 has half of the big drivers operating all the way up to 1800Hz while the newer RC-64 II crosses all four over at 1400Hz. I'm guessing the new, bigger tweeter can reach down to 1400Hz easier than the old one.

Depending on your receiver setup tools, it might actually be easier to blend the new RC-64 II with your old speakers, given that the RF-82 also uses a single crossover point (2000Hz). Plus the wider frequency response technically appears closer to your RF-82.

Obviously these are all just superficial evaluations but it seems reasonable that they would work well. Maybe even better than the old ones. That said, I'm not crazy aboutthe fact that it lost 10 lbs from the old design. It seems trivial but it seems like one of the best ways to measure the quality of certain things (speakers, car batteries, etc) is to pick them up. All else being equal, heavier is typically better. They claim the same power handling but I doubt if that's a real issue for a center speaker anyway.

But...I assume you also realize the old RC-64 has half of the big drivers operating all the way up to 1800Hz while the newer RC-64 II crosses all four over at 1400Hz.

That is not correct. I emailed Steve Phillips(Klipsch Tech) about just that and he said that the new RC-64II is of the tapered array design like the RC-64 which is a 2.5 way speaker. The proper website description was inadvertantly omitted but will be updated soon per Steve.

Here is the correspondence:

Hi Bill,

The 64 II is a tapered array.

The web site did not offer this, but will.

1100 Hz and 1400 Hz

The 64 II most outer woofers cross at 1100 Hz

The inner woofers at 1400Hz, which is where the HF comes in

All four start at 59Hz

1-800-554-7724

Fax 317-860-9195

Klipsch Group, Inc.
Klipsch | Jamo | Mirage |
Energy
3502 Woodview Trace, Indianapolis, IN 46268

Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:15 AM
To: support
Subject: RC-64 tapered-array, RC-64II not

Hello,

I was just wondering why Klipsch engineers chose not to go with the "tapered array" design with the new RC-64II, RC-62II, etc.? Was there a design flaw that made them not incorporate it in the new center channel speakers? If there is a flaw, can the RC-64 be rebuilt(new crossover) to not to have that technology?

Thank You,

Bill Land
(willland on forum)

Bill

I called klipsch today too and the guy although not seeming like the guru of the new rc-64ii gave me some confidence in the 64ii working with my 82s. He also said that the 10 lb weight loss was due to the different magnets they used. Unfortunately either way i do not have a surround receiver right now so i cannot test this out for a little bit. Still would love some more thoughts on this subject

I don't doubt that there have been some big improvements in magnetic materials recently. That could explain the weight difference. And ultimately, the expanded frequency range is hard to argue with.

It sounds like you're still searching for a receiver/decoder. You might consider looking for something that has a good speaker frequency balancing/sensitivity matching feature. It seems like this sort of system should help with any minor timbre matching issues. Please don't take my word for that though. I'm speaking a little out of turn because I have never actually one of these systems yet. But I do know that Yamaha & I think Pioneer also have some mid range and upper end stuff with these features. I think Yamaha's system is called YPAO. Maybe somebody else in the forum has some experience with this?

yeah i know the old rc-64 does a good job with the rf-82s. While the rc-62 matched the 82s pretty well i still felt it was lacking. The thing is the new 64 goes to a 1.75'' tweeter which is almost double of the rf-82s. Well i opened it up today and it is a decent looking speaker. Very smooth finish. Everything looks great except i hate the new binding posts going back to plastic (not a big deal right). Looks like i will be keeping the speaker. I have to modify my tv stand to make it fit lol, 36'' long

Well guys i hooked it up today and wow. This thing is rediculous. It absolutely stomps on the rf-82s. This is truely an audiophile speaker. I am using it with a 405 wpc amp so that might have something to do with it but on the flip side i was playing the cd with a samsung blu-ray player. I was using a hk-3490 as a pre and it has a switch right on the front for balance. Before i thought the rf-82 was a very strong near perfect speakers, after switching between it and the rc-64ii i am in awe. I was listening to the rc-64ii without my subwoofer turned on and it was a perfect speaker from lows to mids to highs. Theres no way i can afford the rf-7ii right now and for that i am very sad.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a surround sound receiver today. Tried out the rf-82s with the rc-64ii, although it was not an action movie i watched, wow what a great match! The rc-64ii and the rf-82s actual worked great togethor. Not perfect but perfectly acceptable. I got rf-7ii on the way so i guess it does not matter anyhow but maybe some other people would be curious to know.

I sorta blew my home theater cash on the rf-7iis so my choices were limited. I was able to get a onkyo Tx-sr705 receiver locally. Onkyo was just about my last choice in receivers but so far it has worked great. I hope to add a amplifier to my system once i sell my rf-82s. By the way i have watched a few more movies with my mismatched front stage. Again the 82s work fine with the 64ii. I could easily live with it , much better than having the matched rc-62.

I was able to get a onkyo Tx-sr705 receiver locally. Onkyo was just about my last choice in receivers but so far it has worked great

Blu,

Just to let you know, my Onkyo 705 has served me very well in my main system and now my bedroom 5.1 system for about (4) years. I have had zero issues with this unit and have been very pleased with its performance, especially for a mid level receiver.

I hope to add a amplifier to my system once i sell my rf-82s.

The 705 performs even better as a pre/pro, and mates very well with a neutral/warm amp.

Bill