Marantz 2500

Taz

Aquired a marantz 2500. Live in the Pacific Northwest and am looking for quality shop or person to go through it. Has some issues and I am not looking for cheap, but want Quality. So far no takers on this project but I will persevere! May have to buy an new set of redwood burl Cornwalls to tide over my need for stereo "fix" until I can find someone to repair this 2500. Any suggestions on a tech for this unit. Have concerns about Klipsch changing hands and possibility of custom veneers not being availible. Sorry, I tend to ramble. I do enjoy reading the forum, but not enough knowledge to contribute much.

Thank You Gentlemen for your suggestion as to use Tom for repair work. I just sent him an email. As for keeping the unit, I expect I will. Still have the first pickup I bought in early seventy's while in high school. My wife told me once that I never get rid of anything. To my error, I replied "I still have you don't I?" Won't make that mistake again. I am able to laugh at myself over it now, but I don't discuss it with her! Still have Jeep CJ that I bought when my Wife and I started seeing each other. Daughter is now 32. Yep, I plan to keep the unit, along with the others until they pry them from my cold dead hands.

Thanks again Gentlemen, John

Gentlemen,

I have recieved info about curt june <cdkands@yahoo.com> who seems to have a shorter wait time then Tom at Vintage Electronics Restoration Service <vintage-electronics@bresnan.net> who stated wait time could be 3 years. Tom Does not seem unreasonable for price for services, yet 3 year wait. I would appreciate any opinions. Curt who states he is booked up for many months. Both agree to put me on their list (no fee for putting on list) and will contact me when they are availible to take on the 2500. Wait months, or years? Would appreciate advice. Have 4 other Marantz units from 2270 t0 2325, some in use, All could use at least a tune up if not total restoration. I love the older stuff.

Thanks again Gentlemen, John

Rules for restoration:

1. The best way to do this kind of thing is to buy a receiver that is already restored by somebody else. Let the other guy wait and pay, lol.

2. Restoring a top of the line piece of equipment is going to cost about the same as restoring a lessor receiver so if you are going to restore something always pick a model that was considered one of the best.

3. My next question is what is the total cost. That has to make sense. Will newer gear at the same price be a better deal?

4. You just have to have it, money be darned.

It's sounding like you somewhere between number 2 and 4. It can be satisfying taking something old and making it near new again but that's when the money part of the equation gets a little unbalanced.

Thanx, Russ

Russ69, I have considered trying tubes, but am afraid I would become addicted to them also. In fact a retired Airforce pilot has talked about selling a pair of McIntosh tube amps he had. (Maybe still has). He bought one of them assembled and built the other from a McIntosh factory kit. 20 or 30 watts apiece if i remember right. I guess I should talk to him some more about them, but am afraid I would walk home with less $$$ and then have to re-tube/referbish them. I don't recall the model number but seems I read somewhere that volume can be adjusted by using the gain control. He never said anything about a preamp for them. He has Given my wife and I several Items that look like new (surround sound reciever, center front speaker, sub base speaker, TV with entertainment center) when he decided to upgrade his systems. So he appears to take exellent care of his possesions. Good person to be friends with, but I would not want him mad at me.

[8]

Tom Williams(Catrafter) it is gentlemen. Estimates fair price, 3yr wait instead of 2yr, but who knows. Also willing to do my 2325. I don't want to take up all his time, so I'll look for someone to do the others. Marantz: 2270, 2285B, 4270 stereo-Quad reciever. Sansui: 9090, G6000, G7000.

Plan to pickup Redwood Burl Cornwall's when finances allow, but Maybe La Scala's instead. [*-)]

Marantz 4270 Stereo-Quad Receiver