B&K or Marantz amp?

dbImage

Hey guys,

I've been looking at HT amps and got some great tips from this bb, Thnaks . Well I have another question , I'm wondering whether to buy the Marantz MM9000 or the B&K ST3140. The B&K is 140watts x 3 and the Marantz is 150x5. I've been told that B&k is far superior to Marantz. True? Both amps are about the same price so I'm not sure but these two look like the best bets .

Is it true that you only need to amp you front 3 speakers?

Thanks in advance,

dbImage

System:

RF3 , RC3 , RS3, YAMAHA RXV1000 KSW12(KSW FOR SALE!) AND SVS PCI 20-30 ( on the way)

'

db, i think you'd be more than ok leaving the rs-3 to the receiver amp, but guess you might have to account for future changes there to the surrounds. Wink.gif

i'd lean toward the b&k too though i also have a marantz receiver that's also mighty fine w/ klipsch.

not real familiar w/ that b&k though. check how both do at 4 ohms and i think you'll have an answer.

i'm biased but i'd say get a b&k 7250 or even a 7270 for future expansion. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I can't coment on the marantz. Although Im sure it sounds good. I currently run a Ref 30/7250 combo with RF3II's and i think the sound is amazing. as does everyone else who listens to my set-up. I can definitely recommend the B&K. matched with a Ref 30 and you have some of the best stuff out there for the money. IMOP

j

You need an amplifier for every channel. I also think the B&K will sound a little bit better than your Yamaha, but very little. I wouldn't spend the money to buy an add-on amp unless you also buy a better Pre/Pro to feed it.

John

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems that nobody has a bad word to say about B&K , that settles it for me . I guess I will shop around some and plan on a 5 channel B&K amp. Once again , thanks guys , I was unsure about which way to go, salesman will say anything for a sale and so it's nice to get unbiased opinions .

Last thing: What is a "balanced input"?

i agree with john & go along w/ ch that you'd also get the b&k ref 30 & at least a 7250 amp. cwm4.gif

trouble w/ a 3 channel amp is when you upgrade in the future then you could wind up w/ like 2 or more amps & power cords taking up the space. of course if you don't mind you could always get monblocks for each channel used too.

a lot of guys here do use a 3 channel for the front (acurus seems to be a fav Smile.gif) & the receiver amp for the rear surrounds though.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I use my reciever as a pre-amp(for now) with a 7250 and I could tell a big difference. Don't forget you'll need interconnects also. Depending on which ones you use, they can get pretty expensive too. Two grand even for a 7250 is a pretty good price, but yes they arn't cheap. Good luck and tell us how you do....