were to upgrade

The Dude

I might start a post in the HT forums as well, but I have been saving and can't wait. I have been down the which tube pre should I try. I still really really want to try that kit that Gothover built a while back from tubes4hifi which is now the sp 8, but I have been looking at a few others which I will email Craig to get a more direct input from him since what ever I might get will eventually get sent to him.

But here are the brands, what I want to know are there any models not to get and some to look for on the bay. I do know most of these I have been looking at are integrated units which is fine.

Fisher

Eico

Dynaco

Scott

I would love to try Mcintosh someday but they are really out of my price range right now plus I have heard of sticker shock not say the probably don't sound really really great but repairs could get costly.

Or should I continue to save for the 15" drivers I need for my fronts on my ht.

Or should I just pick up a pair of either homemade K-horn cabs which could also be speakerlab made cabs I have to get the guy to take me to his shop to get a good look. But those are only 200.00

What do you think

el dude

I would love to try Mcintosh someday but they are really out of my price range right now plus I have heard of sticker shock not say the probably don't sound really really great but repairs could get costly

Or should I continue to save for the 15" drivers I need for my fronts on my ht.

Or should I just pick up a pair of either homemade K-horn cabs which could also be speakerlab made cabs I have to get the guy to take me to his shop to get a good look. But those are only 200.00

What do you think

Since you asked...

My 2 cents would be to fix your speakers first. Meaning, if you are thinking long range of getting a midrange upgrade or an entire speaker upgrade...I'd suggest doing that first.

As a disclaimer, I'm in the "speakers first, electronics second" camp so discount my prejudice appropriatly.

There is no denying that McIntosh stuff is good stuff. Well built yada yada... I had a pair of pristine MC30's as well as a MC-2102 (all tubed amps). I finally sold them. Nice to look at and certainly sounded great. With regard to the 2102 though, for my ears in my situation, I do not think it sounded 3-4 thousand dollars better than its replacement. So I sold it, bought something else and pocketed several thousand dollars in the process.

For those who disagree with that assessment and have racks of McIntosh gear, power to them! It is gorgeous stuff. I'm too cheap [:D]

That's my take on it.

My 2 cents would be to fix your speakers first. Meaning, if you are thinking long range of getting a midrange upgrade or an entire speaker upgrade...I'd suggest doing that first.

As a disclaimer, I'm in the "speakers first, electronics second" camp so discount my prejudice appropriatly.

There is no denying that McIntosh stuff is good stuff. Well built yada yada... I had a pair of pristine MC30's as well as a MC-2102 (all tubed amps). I finally sold them. Nice to look at and certainly sounded great. With regard to the 2102 though, for my ears in my situation, I do not think it sounded 3-4 thousand dollars better than its replacement. So I sold it, bought something else and pocketed several thousand dollars in the process.

For those who disagree with that assessment and have racks of McIntosh gear, power to them! It is gorgeous stuff. I'm too cheap Big Smile

That's my take on it.

I think that is one of the things that turn me off on the Mc gear is the price of one I could buy 2 good sounding units.

Let me clear something up with the speakers, they are for ht that is a on going project that can take a couple of years. But the 2 channel system is done and I have been wanting to upgrade my ss pre for a tube pre or reciever.

Thanks for your 2 cents Coytee.

I have heard quite a few of the vintage preamps you mention. I prefer 12AX7 tubes. If I ever change out my Conrad Johnson it would be for a Scott tube pre Amp. EICO and Dynaco are not bad lin stages but their phono sections are far inferior to Scott.

Finding the best speaker you cann afford first is a suggestion I can agree with. New capacitors in the crossover networks would be step 2.

not sure what your total budget is but thought I would suggest the Audiospace. My local dealer has had these for a good number of years not issues built like tanks fit and finish are excellent. This KT amp is a very involving amp and sounds stuning sells for low 3K and you could not replicate it for what they are sellin it for a serious deal. Perhaps check out your options, I know it's not an old great but it is a young one with no shortage of serious iron.

post-46582-13819637000904_thumb.jpg