Cornscala / Wooden Tractrix Horn Build.

BR928

Very nice build. I have two questions if you don't mind -

1. Which CNC system do you use?

2. The curved sides of the horn appear to be oak plywood or oak veneer covered and not bendable plywood. What exactly are they made of and how did you bend them?

Thanks,

I have a ShopBot CNC w/ 5HP Colombo Spindle.

The sides are oak plywood. The wood is cut, steamed for an hour and bent over a form over night. There is some springback but that is easily overcome when the sides are inserted in dados in the top and bottom.

post-11856-13819641498168_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the motorboards attached along with the ports.

I painted the interior of the ports to get a better contrast when the enclosure is finished.

I used threaded 1/4-20 inserts so I can mount the woofer internally for a cleaner look.

post-11856-13819656621836_thumb.jpg

completely Heritage as if came from ancient Greece

nice work

I have a question... I have a pair of boxes nearly in same dimensions of Cornwalls... they have veneer on them but som eparts are crashed and broken... How can I repair them or at least paint them for piano black?

tnx

interesting, do you have links to the good Doctors work? Best regards Moray James.

Moray James,

Please pardon the delay in answering you. I do not have any useful links, but he did chronicle the process in some detail here in the forums. Search for DBB Cornscala. He goes by the screen name JWC here, and his avatar is a smiling amplifier with red eyebrows and goatee! The best approach would be to read after his work here and contact him directly, I would suppose. I am convinced his design is one of the best. He is highly dedicated and pays attention, which qualities I admire and respect greatly. If you do decide to build them, I predict you will be pleased with the result.

All the best, Chuck

With the cabinets about finished and it's time to build the tractrix horns. All of the problems were figured out building the prototypes so this should go pretty fast.

I thought I would share the steps I used to build them.

The parts are all cut on a CNC router. I first built a fixture to hold the material at a fixed angle while they were cut. This was done to keep from having to cut compound angles, which a 3 axis CNC can't do.

post-11856-13819656974532_thumb.jpg

The sides were previously cut, steamed and formed. They are prefinished and will be placed in the dados in the top and bottom. A couple of braces need to be cut before I can assemble them.

post-11856-1381965698831_thumb.jpg