La Scala Tweeter Stands

sootshe

JBL's really blow away the stock K77. Symbols sound so much more real.

I have friend who used be a professional drummer, he can not believe how close they sound to the real thing.

I used to play professionally (drums) many moons ago (& may even be starting up again on a part time basis in the not too distant future) & these tweeters really do have the most accurate portrayal of cymbals I have heard, in fact, the complete sound of the LS is why I chose to go this way........the have the most realistic sound of percussion that I have heard from a loudspeaker system.

2404 Boxes - Need Poly to help matching to the Cabinets.

Thinking of using a 8" Round Tractrix with a 2" throut and mounting JBL 2404 next to round Tractrix and having it all fit inside a Stock Cabinet.

Motor Board would be revised but the Stock Grill cover could be used and they would look perfectly Stock from the Front.

Pay no attention the the man behind the curtain.

FYI - Stock (prefered) or Box is required due to WAF issues.

post-30420-13819637068542_thumb.jpg

Good idea to put the tweeters backwards.

Now if you'd put some acoustic foam on top of your LS (whatever looks OK and clean and absorbs high frequencies would probably be OK) would make ur speakers "disappear" even more effectively by cancelling the sound that bouces from your wide dispersion tweeters on the top panel (first reflections, diffractions, u think you don't hear those ...until you get rid of them. IMHO.). Of course the WAF factor might suffer accordingly...

just my two cents...

Now if you'd put some acoustic foam on top of your LS (whatever looks OK and clean and absorbs high frequencies would probably be OK) would make ur speakers "disappear" even more effectively by cancelling the sound that bouces from your wide dispersion tweeters on the top panel (first reflections, diffractions, u think you don't hear those ...until you get rid of them. IMHO.). Of course the WAF factor might suffer accordingly...

just my two cents...

Moving the tweeters to the back helped a LOT. I tried different acoustic materials on the tops and heard NO difference at all.

My two cents...

post-7149-13819637380822_thumb.jpg

Moving the tweeters to the back helped a LOT. I tried different acoustic materials on the tops and heard NO difference at all.

We've talked about this one before...I believe this.

Think about the frequencies involved. In the tweeter's band, things get pretty directional so early reflections (i.e., between 10 and 20 ms) to the listener are pretty difficult to achieve with any amplitude relative to the direct path. You might get some diffraction, but I'd guess that diffraction would be difficult to sense, especially since the reflected wave is probably way down in terms of amplitude.

Chris

In my configuration, the acoustic foam helps a lot, but it's quite different from you guys as the "reflecting part" is the "upper lip" of the EV SM120 midrange horn I use, and the Beyma tweeters sits just above it. The shape of the EV horn is not deep at all compared to a K400, while the beyma tweeter is quite deep compared to a K77... the result is when they're mounted on the same motorboard, the tweeter and midrange drivers are much more aligned than with stock K400/K77 combination. At the same time, the tweeter is about 10inches backwards compared to the stock config.

It's very possible that the reflection is not noticeable in your setup because there's more distance between the tweeter and the possible "reflection" point.

I just posted a picture in another thread:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/144806.aspx?PageIndex=2

anyways I got in this set-up a bit by accident, but mid and treble seem to integrate seamlessly and imaging is much more natural than before. If I remove the foam I can hear some slight treble tilt but also the sounds seem to hang on more "on the speaker" and imaging suffers a bit. it's not a night-and-day difference but enough to bother me.

I understand now. Having that large reflecting surface that close to your tweeter effectively changes the geometry of that bi-radial horn attached to your tweeter...

....and here's the new front end.......Ayre V3 (100 watts RMS per channel)......Conrad Johnson PV-15.....Naim CD-5X....really transformed the sound of the LS's.

Nice combo! I never had a chance to hear CJ but their stuff always looks so cool. I think it's the first time I see a Naim CDplayer as the source of a horn system (why?), can you comment about the way it sounds? I've always been drooling for the long time discontinued CD3.5...[:P]

how does the ported LS sound, by the way?

....and here's the new front end.......Ayre V3 (100 watts RMS per channel)......Conrad Johnson PV-15.....Naim CD-5X....really transformed the sound of the LS's.

Nice combo! I never had a chance to hear CJ but their stuff always looks so cool. I think it's the first time I see a Naim CDplayer as the source of a horn system (why?), can you comment about the way it sounds? I've always been drooling for the long time discontinued CD3.5...Stick out tongue

how does the ported LS sound, by the way?

I just love the Naim.....it's the first CD player I've had that makes the music sound like music & not digital noise!!! It's the most analogue sounding piece of digital gear I have heard........& the port for the LS makes a huge difference to the bottom end.....still clean as ever with that huge slam, but now with a lot more depth & authority.

I've been tempted by this ported base for the Lascala. but I always feel like in my listening room (not so big) it would be a problem to have the tweeters located some 15inch higher than ear level. I love what I hear now in the mid/treble. There's always the option to reverse the bass bin, and put the reflex ports in the top bin, but I prefer to keep those sections separated (I plan to put some isolation feet in between and isolate the treble from the bass bin) or I could put the bass bin sideways, but then the "reflex" box needs to be fixed to the existing bass horn, and the footprint would just be too huge.

I 'm just gonna stick with a sub at the moment...

I've been tempted by this ported base for the Lascala. but I always feel like in my listening room (not so big) it would be a problem to have the tweeters located some 15inch higher than ear level. I love what I hear now in the mid/treble. There's always the option to reverse the bass bin, and put the reflex ports in the top bin, but I prefer to keep those sections separated (I plan to put some isolation feet in between and isolate the treble from the bass bin) or I could put the bass bin sideways, but then the "reflex" box needs to be fixed to the existing bass horn, and the footprint would just be too huge.

I 'm just gonna stick with a sub at the moment...

You could always try just raising the W Bin & see if you think that has affected the sound of the mids & tops before you commit to the bass reflex cabinet..............the ported bottom end mod for the LS really improves the low end response of this system.......those who've tried it have never gone back to stock! [:)].........understand that it isn't going to be the same as a sub.........my preference though is for that ultra clean bottom end that only a sorted full range system can provide (short of spending $10K on a sub)!!!