Will Vincent Baldwin Amp vs Dynaco ST 70 Amp

jcmusic

Good looking amp Jay! Bet it sounds great as well.

Hey Jeff,

How are you buddy? Jeff this was suppose to be a back up amp for my Korneff 45, well this amp sounds so good it could end up being a replacement amp instead only time will tell. It sure does sound sweeeet!!! It so far has just blown me away!!!

Jay

It's all good here, I know what you mean with the amp, I thought my Latino ST120 would be a stepping stone, but I really can't imagine it getting much better than this. I've rolled a few tubes through the pre section and have wound up with three, NOS Ampex Bugle Boys replacing my NOS Mullards. The tape deck is great, I also found a NaK LX-5 that had been fully gone through, so I am also enjoying some cassette tapes as well.

Meant to tell you I found a new copy of Little Hatch's "Rock With Me Baby" on a (AcousTech) 45 rpm 180 gram two LP set, almost as sweet as your Tape Project version, I said almost!

You got anything new other than the amp?

• 9 months later...

Yes, I have.

The Baldwin is DEAD quiet with my Khorns. I use a Conrad Johnson PV-5 preamp that has perhaps too much gain {28.5} but is 'just' enough to drive the Baldwin. Passive Preamps need not apply with said Baldwin.

The Hafler circuit {Dyna 70} has more input sensitivity than necessary for your application and will result in some background hiss between cuts. Will has eliminated the grounding loop problem found in all stock Dyna 70's allowing him to put the RCA connections in the back with no drawback.

The Baldwin is slightly smoother with MY Khorns In MY room {22X22X10, not square as it has Baywindows} WITH Tombstone bass.

Answer almost a year late Jay pertaining to how quiet the Baldwin IS.

Now you know

Yes it is a good thing I wasn't holding my breath!!! LOl!!! Ifound out a long time ago how quiet the Baldwin is with my highly modded Khorns!!! that's why I still have it.

Jay

• 2 months later...

...plus the auto biasing feature is a bonus.

Just to clear up a misconception... the Baldwin does not have some special revolutionary "auto bias" feature... From a techinical performance stand point an amplifier with the ability to fine tune the bias of the output tubes (which ironically is called "fix bias") is superior and more costly to produce then an amp with no provisions for biasing which is usually referred to as "cathode biased". With all things being equal cathode biased amplifiers produce more distortion and make less maximum power.

Adjustable Bias: The ability to change "adjust" the DC bias voltage placed on the grid of a tube in relation to its cathode to obtain proper power tube dissipation. Amps of this type will have a pot to set or "adjust" the idle (no signal) bias voltage. This is similar to Fixed bias but is adjustable. There may also be a balance control.

Fixed Bias: The bias voltage is developed by a fixed resistor divider. It is possible that the bias voltage will need to be changed when new or different type tubes are installed or if you want to change the operation of the amplifier. This is done by replacing one or more of the divider resistors to set the bias voltage for the proper power tube dissipation. Typically this should be done by an experienced technician as it requires knowledge of electronic circuits. There may also be a balance control.

Cathode or Self Bias: The bias voltage is obtained by a resistor placed on the cathode of the power tube/tubes to ground. As the tube conducts, voltage is dropped across this resistor causing the cathode to become positive in reference to ground. The grids are DC grounded. The negative relationship between the cathode and the grid is how bias voltage is obtained in this type of amp. It is possible that the bias voltage will need to be changed when new or different tubes are installed or if you want to change the operation of the amplifier. This is done by replacing the cathode resistor with a different value to set the bias voltage for proper power tube dissipation. Typically this should be done by an experienced technician as it requires knowledge of electronic circuits.