DIY Anti-Resonance platform.

Guest David H

Guest David H
Over the years I have read several complaints about snake oils, cryogenic treatments, and overpriced fancy gadgets that don't have measureable improvement, so when I run into a product that works, I like to share it with the audio community. .
This is an anti-resonance platform that drastically reduces vibration amplitude. I have at my disposal a Vetronix MTX 4000 vibration analyser used on automobile to isolate and track down vibrations, I intend to use this to measure the platforms effectiveness in an audio environment. Currently I am waiting for updated liscenceing before I can use this tool for measurements. Scratch that, the liscence renewal was $900, instead I will use my osciliscope and an accelerometer. The Antires platform is great for Turntables, CD Transports, and sensitive electronics like tube amps and preamp that can be effected by vibrations.The key to the effectiveness of this platform is the use of super balls for dampening. (Yes those abnoxious $.025 balls from the vending machines).
See the Anti-Res platform in action here.

post-24405-1381963728133_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

This sample was build for torture testing only, you will not be able to use screws through the bottom unless you choose a hardwood as your platform.

Note, different color Super-balls have different spring tension, it is probably best to use the same color if possible.

post-24405-1381963728495_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

This tapered hole idea worked well for making the balls replaceable, but a one inch drill bit and silicone rubber to hold the ball in place woks fine.

I have been using this platform for years and the balls don't wear out.

post-24405-13819637288708_thumb.jpg

That's a cool video. I remember when you told me about this a while back, we were talking about the idea of using a glass of water to show the vibrations.

I can attest to the effectiveness of isolation. Not so much with Super Balls, because I haven't tried those, but I use cone shaped feet, and it's still amazing to me how it affects the imaging of my system when used under my DAC. Doesn't do so much under the transport, but under the DAC really makes a difference.

Greg

Guest David H

That's a cool video.

Thanks Greg.

I was looking for a way to display the effectiveness of the platform, and last week the accelerometer came to mind. I remember discussing the glass of water because it reminded me of the scene from Jurassic Park.

Dave

Guest David H

I have a couple sets of daves old prototypes. These work great.

Craig 73

Where? buried in the garage?

I havent seen you use one of them for a long time.

Dave

Guest David H

I've heard many times that SQUASH balls were the ones to use, because they DON'T have any jump factor. Super balls are very, very jumpy...

did you try both / hear any difference?

I have not used the squash balls because of their size. The super balls are the best I have used to date. The video itself illustrates a 80+% reduction in harmonic tremors.

Dave