RB-5 vs RB-75

48n123w

I came across Silversport's post about the RB-5 in the Garage Sale section (see below). I've been looking for more RB-75, but they are pricey and hard to find. Now I'm wondering if I should try the RB-5 instead?

Anyone done a comparison between the two?

- - - - - - - - - -

If anyone is on the fence about RB-5s...these have REAL Mahogany veneer (not embossed plastic) and have what one Klipsch employee has told me is one of his favorite Klispch speakers...very clean sounding and more bass than my beloved Heresys at about a third the size of those Heresys...my pair is being borrowed by a family member but for people who like the Reference line, these are very nice speakers...plenty of members on this website like them too...nice price...good luck with your sale.

Bill

I've been looking for a pair of 75's for a while and haven't been able to buy a set for what I think is a reasonable amount. I hope someone has had a chance to really run the 5's against the 75's and can answer your question as I can only comment on the RB5's. I own multiple sets of the 5's and really enjoy them, even though I own a lot of other sets that are better sounding, I think we need to keep this in the context of rating a bookshelf speaker. IMHO, considering that the maximum I paid for a set was $200, you won't be making a mistake to look at a set that you can purchase for the right money. My sets are 2 black and a set of oak finish but a pristine pair with Mahogany finish could warrant more money than what I've paid for sure.

The 75's have to sound better, but I couldn't justify 400-600 for a pair of them.

I think the difference between the two would not be much. The RB-75 is front ported while the RB-5 is rear ported so if the rear would be against the wall or in a cabinet which might not work well with the rear port you would need the RB-75.

I have always thought of the RB-5's as very nice bookshelves and as long as the rear port will not be a matter with your placement I think you can't go wrong with the RB-5.

I think the difference between the two would not be much. The RB-75 is front ported while the RB-5 is rear ported so if the rear would be against the wall or in a cabinet which might not work well with the rear port you would need the RB-75.

Owning both I feel the RB-5 is a good bookshelf speaker, but the bigger RB-75 uses a larger compression driver for the horn than the RB-5s and was designed to keep up with the RF-7s.

I've been looking for a pair of 75's for a while and haven't been able to buy a set for what I think is a reasonable amount. I hope someone has had a chance to really run the 5's against the 75's and can answer your question as I can only comment on the RB5's. I own multiple sets of the 5's and really enjoy them, even though I own a lot of other sets that are better sounding, I think we need to keep this in the context of rating a bookshelf speaker. IMHO, considering that the maximum I paid for a set was $200, you won't be making a mistake to look at a set that you can purchase for the right money. My sets are 2 black and a set of oak finish but a pristine pair with Mahogany finish could warrant more money than what I've paid for sure.

The 75's have to sound better, but I couldn't justify 400-600 for a pair of them.

It sounds like the Mahogany RB-5 can be a really good value.

If these were going to be used as side surrounds or rears I feel that they would be a viable alternative but having both paired with an RC-7 in the bedroom the RB-75s definitely has a fuller sound and made the front soundstage pretty incredible.

When paired with the RC-7, the RB-75 sounds like the way to go. I'm assuming the 8" horn makes the difference.

I have an RC-7 on the way, so I'll keep looking for more RB-75 and RC-7.