spl meter vs auto set up

chef73

I read a post once that when you run auto set up you should leave the settings alone because it sets the trim levels and delay according to your room. When i test the settings against my spl meter the levels are way off according to the 70db setting on the meter. My question is should i leave the settings the auto eq sets or should i set all the speakers to the same level using the meter. I run the auto eq and then change the eq setting to off i think it sounds better this way. Thank you

Trust your ears and your SPL meter.

The delays set by the receiver are probably good -I'd use those unless they look to be really off the mark from what you get with a tape measure.

I'm told that some in-room auto-EQing receivers/preamps do really well (.e.g, Audyssey Pro, etc.) but I've noticed that they are usually not very good when you have a relatively live room (the kind of listening room that I actually prefer). There is a lot of discussion on why the autoEQ algorithms don't do so well, but I think the bottom line on EQ should always be your ears. [Y]

Chris

Tommy's almost 7. He's a talker, and we have to watch what we say around him--he spontaneously learned ~50 words that he can pick out of the middle of a sentence. Scary, actually.

Here is what I have found works best for me.

First I run my Audyssey and I may run it several times until I feel I am happy with its results.

Next I go into my manual settings and change my speaker and crossover settings to what I want not what Audyssey has set them to, my current settings I prefer my speakers set to "small" my fronts and center crossovers set to 60hz and my surrounds set to 70hz and my LPF of LFE to 120hz at my sub the crossover is turned off only using my processors crossover.

Then I get out my SPL meter and set my speaker levels. I set my center channel at "0" then match all my other speakers to the center channel. The SPL meter seems much more accurate and works much better for me.

I only use Audyssey for what it is doing in the background and prefer to use my manual settings.