Panasonic SA XR70...for 2 Channel Stereo

SilverSport

...all the recent hubub on these digital amps revived the Spirit of experimentation...especially with their reasonably good prices in the resale market...any of you using the XR70 for 2 channel stereo alone???

I have one of these enroute from the used market and I believed when I agreed to it that it was the model higher (as reported on the errornet) than the XR55 but in fact is an older model...it DOES have HDMI but I don't think it has the dual amp mode...so I am curious (since it should take a week or so to arrive here) how does the XR70 shake out and where does it line-up in the Panasonic digital receiver line???

I plan to run Heritage or extended Heritage and I don't think I will Bi-Wire them so...what have I got to look forward to ( the good and the bad) those of you who have had or have them...

Thanks,

Bill

ahhhh so these are basically (except for some features) the same series or type of receiver???...I plan to use mine just for 2 channel and thought I might be missing out on the Dual Amp (or whatever Panasonic) calls it to get better 2 channel sound...this is your fault in the first place you know wuzzz... [;)]

Bill

I've a couple of 25's and love them. I've been looking for a 70 for HT use because of the HDMI. I don't know anything about the "dual amp" mode but the 25's work like a hose in 2 channel mode and deliver a sound that, for my ears, is the accuracy of SS with the mellowness of tubes.

Besides that, they weigh almost nothing and generate very little heat...besides that I only have about 200.00 in both of them.

Dave

thanks...it is difficult to get honest opinions about them as there is so much conflicting info on the errornet...I suspect by some who can't take the pain of this sounding as nice or nicer than their major brand name stuff or they just didn't really like it or didn't use the proper connects for the best sound...you both have helped...hopefully this will hold me until mine arrives for a shakedown cruise...

Bill

Well, Bill, I think there is a lot of credibility issues with them because of their cost and "digital" nature. I don't listen with a bias, I just listen. I was huddled in a dump in Waynesville, MO about 6 years ago when I heard my first SA-XR. I hooked it up, and dropped "Kind of Blue" in the CD player. First thing I heard was cymbals. Emphasize "first thing." I thought, man, that's the first time I ever really heard the shimmer and presence of the the real deal. And this was using a pair of Frazier Super Monte Carlos as mains.

I was not disappointed when I got home and hooked it to my K'horns. I've had a few listeners say they prefer the sound of my Van Alstine, NOSValves approved ST-70...but none were like "Fer cryin out loud switch back" about it and that ST-70 would buy a boatload of SA's...

Can't guarantee you'll be as pleased as I am, but I don't think you're going to kick it out the door, either. If you do, please let me know since I am, indeed in the market for an SA with HDMI for convenience.

Dave

I'm not sure if the Dual Amp feature will be as beneficial on Klipsch speakers as it would on speakers with lower sensitivity that need more power.

I surmise that some of the SA's have a summing feature? That would be 300X2, and you are correct, way more that Klipsch need. I get more than enough from the front two for my Klipschorns.

Dave

oh I understand we don't need the power...but another misconception on my part was that the 2 amp was the key to better sound...it is just the digital to digital that does this, correct...and that button that turns off the vid and the display to get you improved sound???...

Bill

oh I understand we don't need the power...but another misconception on my part was that the 2 amp was the key to better sound...it is just the digital to digital that does this, correct...and that button that turns off the vid and the display to get you improved sound???... Bill

I have no idea why the presence of video circuits should alter the sound of the audio in any way. I just use my as it is...if it could sound any "better" I am not sure I would recoginize it as it pretty much sounds like the proverbial "straight wire with gain" to me. Nothing I hear can I trace to it...though I dang sure recognize crappy recording PDQ with it.

Dave

Disabling the video circuits potentially cleans up the signal a little bit, if you happen to be using the analog audio inputs, per the manual. I make exclusive use of fiber optic, so I wouldn't know any different in practice. I do know that there is some pretty fancy MHz-range signal traffic taking place along the amplifier boards, therefore shielding and managing EMI within the chassis is a big deal with these puppies.

Dave...I have what I believe to be a similar feature on my Oppo BDP-83...on the Oppo...when listening to music without video (as in a CD) this button turns off the video processing and most of the front panel unit displays so that all and the unit is doing is reproducing music...IF it is similar on the Panasonic...the receiver would not be "wasting" any power on video processing or the front panel display since you are just listening to music...at least this is my theory not having mine yet...my old Yamaha CA-610 II had something also similar as a Main/Direct switch which would bypass the preamp circuits to supposedly give a more pure and clean sound...I could never hear a difference with that but there it is...thanks for the information...

Bill

Gents, I've heard those arguments about video circuits and definitely won't argue with those who hear a difference. If my Pany had such a switch perhaps I'd hear a difference, perhaps not. Certainly such differences must be rather subtle except for the extremely practiced critical equipment listener...which, thankfully, I am not.

Bottom line is that what I hear at the present is clean, accurate, totally satisfying. Anything more would be, well, just more.

There is a point of diminished returns and some of us who are more music oriented than equipment oriented reach that point and are happy. Given my budget, a GOOD thing!

Dave