Amp Question, UPA-7 VS Xpa-3

deluss

in my opinion, the UPA-7 is a great unit for klipsch speakers like the rf-62 and below or other like models. The high current power is available to the drivers but isnt over in excess. I am of course suggesting the UPA-7 in a case where budget actually comes into play and someone doesn't want to spend more than they have to for that extra umph of power they probably wont ever use.

In your case, i think yuou would would benefit from the extra power, you have triple 8's and some deep bass, that means its hungry for power. I would suggest the XPA-3 in your case.

More power never hurts, headroom is great to have even though most of us will never use it, its good to have to keep things from clipping. look at headroom as your follow-through after swinging a baseball bat. Stopping midway will hurt your body after a while and if you hit the ball, well, it will do a bunt haha. Let your speakers follow through but make sure to use discretion so you dont blow your drivers. Obviously it would be pretty effin loud at that point, none the less, you know things will blow when you hear the distortion.

I love Listening to Everything loud ! I think that i am going to pull the trigger on One of the xpa's I just wish i had picked it up when it was on sale. I might do the xpa 5 since i have seven channels. What's Everyones thought on emotiva Vs Other amps

each manufacturer produces a product with different sonic characteristics. I am certainly not qualified to tell you the differences because the only power amp i have ever owned in the XPA-5. There are others on the forum, hopefully they will chime in, that have owned multiple brands and can explain the different sonic characteristics.

As far as other amps go, barring cost, i would have definitly checked out parasound, outlaw audio, arcam, rotel, b&k and anthem. These are just brands i can rattle off, off the top of my head. I would do a search for other brands to make sure i had as much knowledge as possible at my finger tips. Most notably though, you will notice that the prices on all of those brands are at minimum double the emotiva amps. They are all solid products as well. Some have that extra decimal point and you are definitly paying for it. They are all hi-fidelity brands and all will achieve the same thing. Personally, i would check out parasound and outlaw audio as i believe they are the next most affordable brands.

i should have a xpa2 sunday morning will let you know what i think of it and if i can remember how the xpa3 sounded give a slight comparison, my intent now is the xpa2/5 combo after adding some side surrounds, the xpr series is coming out soon but the xpr7 is suppose to be listed at 2 grand and 350 watts x7, figured xpa2/5 is more than sufficient power for what we have and quite a few dollars less than a xpr7, i think with you having a receiver i wouldnt do the upa7 youll probably regret it and have upgraditis soon after

i can only compare amps to some marantz mono blocks i had and i much prefer the xpa3 to them, unless you want to spend 2x on another brand grab a xpa and dont look back

just got home with my xpa-2, i didnt find out what max volume is but i do know my ears hurt and this things a monster that i dare say easily surpasses the xpa3, no regrets on this beast, with the major difference between the xpa3 and 2, im certain i could recommend not going the upa route, my 2 cents hope it helps

• Moderators

I did the UPA7 and like it, however after never having an amp before... I can only tell the difference when watching movies and turning up the volume. Is this how it is supposed to be?

When adding my parasound amp, I noticed a difference at lower volumes in that there was much more bass and dialog was clearer.