Info on altec multicell horns

joessportster

38" wide, 16" tall, around 36" deep (depends on the throat used).

B version is fiberglass coated rather than tar, audio nuts want the tar version.

Good midrange from 500hz~5Khz, they start to 'finger' at higher frequencies. May be used to 300hz if the Altec 290 is used.

The -16C would have the large alnico magnet and the plastic phase plug (same as the 288H), the -16B has the metal phase plug (same as the 288G). Audio nuts prefer the metal over the plastic on the 1.4" drivers, the plastic seems OK for the 1" drivers though.

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/publications/techletters/TL_231.pdf

The -16C will have a couple of narrow dips in the high end (from the plastic phase plug).

Look at the 290-4G to see why it is a popular mid driver.

Send me an e-mail with your phone number if you want to talk further about these old Alltec horns and drivers.

Hey cut. How you been I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks for the link. No I haven't sold my other gear. But I ran across these horns and I knew you swear by your 10 cell altecs so I was wandering what they might be worth. Joe

I'm doing great! --- I still have my Khorn/Altec combination speakers. I have had them for 6 years now. Probably the longest I've gone without a speaker change. And I don't even shop for speakers anymore. They are not even close to the most expensive speakers that I have owned in the past. I do tweak them occaisonly with crossovers, Painting the horns.

Are you thinking of selling your speakers and getting some Altec Drivers to save a few bucks?

Hey cut. I've already sold my oris orpheans they are wonderful speakers hands down best horns I've heard but also it required 3 amps, 2 active crossovers, 1 passive crossover plus pre and sources. Suffice to say a complicated system at best I also find with this type system you never really just set back and listen !!!! The altec questions come up because I happened upon a fella that was lucky enouugh to be present when a school decided to upgrade it's sound system. So he had a large cache of altec goodies he was looking to flip and make some $$$ on. I went to look at his bass drivers when he flashed the horns and drivers on me as well. I thought if interest was good on the horns I could pick them up for someone here. I'm also contimplating buying a pair to do a diy speaker. I thought the price was decent 500.00 for horns with 291-16c drivers installed and working. Joe