Hilarious KHorn just-missed-it sale

Tom Mobley

So, I've been advised to check around locally for parts and speakers for LS upgrade. So, hit the online classifieds for the local bird cage liner, searched on Klipsch. WOW a hit! "Klipschorn cornerhorn loudspeakers, exc condition, $1000" And the phone number is close to me! I'm all over it:

me: Hi, I'm calling about those speakers you've got for sale.

elderly woman: Well, I'm sorry, they're already gone.

me: Oh really, how long did it it take to sell them?

her: Just one day. People keep calling about them, though.

me: Yeah, well, they're real nice. How long did you have them?

her: Oh, my husband bought them back in the 70's, but he never used them much.

me: did the first person that showed up buy them?

her: why yes. He seemed to be very anxious about it.

me: yeah, I'll bet.

long silence....

her: several people have mentioned that the price was very good, do you think I could have gotten more?

long silence.... let somebody else tell her.

me: well, probably. did you ask around about a selling price at all?

her: no, maybe I should have.

me: well, maybe next time. say, you don't have any more of those, do you?

her: no, my husband sold the other ones several years ago, when he sold that MacIntyre radio.

loooonngg silence while thinking this one over....

me: well, thanks anyway. bye.

her: thanks for calling.

Jeez. I can't stand it.

Someone got a good deal.

I was recently tiped off (on this site) to a pair of LaScalas being offered for $375. for the pair. Turned out they were professionally veneered by a cabinet maker and look fantastic. I had to travel to pick them up but I combined the trip with business and visits to my grandchildren. I returned to find a a pair of black utility LaScalas selling for $1200. on ebay. The ones I got look a lot better.

Previously I got a pair of scuffed up black utility LaScalas with one blown woofer for $300. off of an ad on audio review. Had to travel a ways to pick them up but replaced the woofer with an exact replacement on ebay for $57., filled in the dings and repainted them black. Look and work just fine.

There are a lot of good buys out there but even a pair of LaScalas for $800 - $1000 or Khorns for $1500- $2000. in good condition beats buying a pair new. And you can always resell them after using them for a number of years for more than you paid for them. Now that's a great deal!!!

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Tom - I went to look at those K-Horns. For a moment, I thought I was in the Klipsch museum in Hope! The owner is a long-time audio guy who has worked (and continues to do so) in many of the local high-end audio shops. Incredibly nice guy, and he has had lunch with PWK, etc...

Anyhow, his wife has given up their family room to him, and it is covered with audio stuff. He had the K-Horns sitting out in the room, not in the corners, because behind them he had a pair of HUUUUUGGGE JBL theater speakers.

Their height dwarfed the K-Horns. The horns on those things had a vertical orientation, and must have been 30" high at the opening. They were taken out of an old movie theater, and he had a pair of those, plus two large JBLs in the rear (which were a couple of the surround speakers in the theater).

Also, quite a bit of Mac, Bob Carver, and other gear. He also had an old pair of very large JBL bass bins and a pair of Tannoy's in mint condition from maybe the 60's? They had the tweeter behind a see-through dust cap in the woofer.

We chatted for about 1/2 hour about Klipsch history. (Him-"Paul's not alive anymore, right?" Why do people keep saying that?)

Anyhow, to make you feel better, I had gone there with the intention of buying them cheap, and then reselling them for a profit since I have no place for them (can't fault a guy for free enterprising, can you?). Well, after seeing them, I realized we all have different definitions of "excellent condition." I passed on them, because I don't think I could have made any money on them. There were several dings in the edge veneer, and the top surface was rippled on them, sort of like the veneer was separating. They had the Alnico magnets and oil caps.

I'm not wood-working inclined, so I'd have had to pay someone to clean them up. By then, it wasn't worth it for me.

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug,

funny the stuff that happens. I would have bought them in a second and fiddled with the wood later. the ad must have come out Sunday, I didn't see it til Tues, so I probably wasn't that close. maybe next time.

It looks to me like Klipsch wasn't that popular here in the Phx area, I called virtually the high end shops this week looking for parts, none of them would admit to ever having had anything to do with Klipsch at all. Do you know who a local dealer might have been?

I'd like to talk to that guy, see what he knows about the local activity. I think I'll look up his number again, offer to take him out to lunch or something.

Tom