Denon 3000 series AVRs

rplace

Always liked the Denon line of AVRs. Looking for ideas and input from anyone with some hands on experiance. What are your thoughts on the 3808, 3310 and 3311??? Looking to upgrade my 2nd system and gain HDMI switching along with newer sound formats. Only need 5.1 but all seem to be 7.1 so I am covered there.

Pros and cons of features vs street prices greatly appreciated.

I am a Denon fan myself. Back in the early 2000's I owned a 3801. It was a great receiver and I missed it ever since I sold it. So when I decided to get a new one this past November, I went back to Denon and got a 3310. I really like it a lot! It has the Denon sound I remember, and is very well built and nice looking IMO. I got a killer deal on it ($538) from Amazon and I couldn't be happier with it. It has all the features I require and then some. [:)]

I have the 3311CI

This receiver will do it all. The new thing in HT is using Wide Front Speakers and or Front Height Speakers. This model has a 7 channel amp so it can only do one of these two channels. If you want 9.1 or 11.1 you need to look at other models. Otherwise with the Audyssey Audio Eq system, this AVR is a great value.

Ok still back and forth here. The 2310 selling company had really crappy reviews. Guess that is why the price was so good. The new front runner is a brand new, from authorized Denon dealer 4310. Shipped to me for $899 total. A bit more than I wanted to spend but it does get me quite a few more features and more watts. Will I use all those features...not sure.

Anyone have one? Anyone got some thoughts on that unit for the price?

The replacement for the 4310 is the 4311 and it is $2K. 900 vs 2,000 seems like a pretty good discount for a still great AVR.

Need someone to push me over the ledge or talk me back down.[:D]

Oh almost forgot I settled on speakers L/C/R will be Klipsch 6502 THX in-walls with a pair of ceiling mounted R5800-c in the rear. My several year old Panasonic 42" has to stay for the time being.

I am moving all my current stuff out of a custom built entertainment center to put all this new stuff on the wall to free up some floor space. Not crazy about in-walls, but still expecting a lot from the higher end 6502/R5800. Check out my signature for my current set up in the TV room. Anyone need an absolutely perfect Academy? [H] Mine since day 1 new still have original box and all packaging.

I have seen the 3311 offered in the $879 range at more than one outlet. The 4311 is going in the $1370-$1450 range. Lots of merchants out there ready to deal. Personally I would take the 3311 over the 4310 even though the 4310 has a little beefier amp.

IMO, the two top receivers out there to own right now are the 4311 or the Onkyo 5008. The Onk is a tad higher and the best price I have found is $1599. For the money you cant beat the Denon 3311 though. Denon will release the new unit replacing the 4310 this summer, after that we should see prices continue to fall. I too am looking at a new receiver, but I am waiting until summer to see how much prices continue to fall.

I have seen the 3311 offered in the $879 range at more than one outlet.

Really??? Where? Are they an authorized Denon dealer? I have seen Non-AD selling it cheaper and refer bushed with 90 day warranty, but it is my understanding if you don't get it from and AD you can't upgrade the firmware...correct me if I am wrong on that point. I have been staying away from ebay and non-Denon dealers because I have read so much about flakey performance until you get a couple of firmware upgrades in them.

I see this at buy.com but again does not seem to be AD since they offer a different warranty. Perhaps I am wrong about that though.http://www.buy.com/prod/denon-avr-3311ci-7-2-channel-networking-multi-source-multi-zone-a-v/q/sellerid/31007388/loc/111/216918823.html

I don't need the latest and greatest as this is for TV watching and an HBO movie from time to time. I have a dedicated HT in my basement if I am serious about a movie. However, I'd like to get HDMI switching and easy overall use for my living room refurb. Kind of started out in the 3808 and 2310, etc...but now I am creeping up to newer models and more power. I probably need to throttle back my "needs" and wants.

These guys have great prices and have heard they are great to deal with from other audio sites, but I have not bought anything from them. I dont know if they are authorized or not, but the listing does show it comes with a warranty and the company has been around for 30 years. I would be willing to bet it is a in house warranty at that price, but maybe I am wrong. Having said that, the last two Denon receivers I have bought from NewYork distributors have come with a seller warranty and I have never had a problem out of either...and one is 12 or 13 years old.

http://www.amsound2.com/

Here is what they show per warranties:

WARRANTIES
  • Merchandise is sold with the FULL MANUFACTURES WARRANTY.
A retail invoice will be supplied by either American Theater, it's authorized distributors, or a participating Authorized Retailer from our Co-op of authorized dealers.

Maybe someone can "de-code" this :)

Well the odyssey is over...not quite sure I will believe it until I see it. I have been checking all sorts of online vendors and keep checking the Denon web site to make sure they are an authorized dealer. Today I found on in NJ...just one day delivery to Baltimore and they had an open box 3311, yes 3311 not 3310 for $849 + 30 delivery. That seemed a bit better to me than the 4310 for 900 delivered. I called to make sure it had full warranty and they were an AD. The guy on the phone tells me they have a "coupon" and he can give me a bran new one, not opened box, for $806.58 delivered next day.

Prior to this I had a little back and forth with a guy on ebay for a used 4310 for 750 + 45 shipping. Glad I stuck with it. It has been a lot of looking, but in the end I think I have done pretty well. Newest model, decent power and no concerns about warranty. I have been reading that the older ones have a lot of network card problems, thus me being overly concerned about an AD and full warranty. Hopefully I don't need the warranty, but a little peace of mind none the less.

Max2MC thanks for the input and the link...very competitive price at that place. The NJ shipping beats out FLA for me. Don't want it getting bounced around anymore than it has to.