Which Klipsch for Small Room?

Dsrtjeeper

Before you invest in a pair of Heresys, see if you can locate a pair of RF-15s. Although they are discontinued, some new ones are still around and are far less costly than a new pair of H3s. The RF-15s are very well suited for use in a room of that size (look at my system profile to see how I'm using them), and provide a very easy load for a low power tube amp. You do need to be careful not to excite too much low frequency energy in a room of that size as it can definitely cause smeared imaging, among other things.

I checked out your profile and it sounds like your system is setup close to mine. I have listened to several of Klipsch newer speakers and I didn't like them. I'm not sure which models but they were sold in the Magnolia stores inside of Best Buy. Also; I can purchase used Cornwalls for less locally. I would really need to listen to the RF-15's to give them their due. Thanks for the recommendation.

Noone has really adressed my concern over sitting so close to the speakers even if they are 1' away from the front wall. The review I listed above mentioned a need to sit about 4meters from horns for the sound to blend correctly from the multiple drivers???

It ain't true.

+1.

I sit exactly 9 feet from my Heresies and they are about 9 feet apart; center to center.

I get such a wide soundstage; and imaging is amazing.

If you are near Chicago; you are welcome to come by for a listen!

I have a similar size room at 12x12. I have a set of Cornwall I's and I love them, I have not found a genre of music that they don't play well and they have the bass that I crave. I also have a pair of Heresy II's and they sound fantastic also BUT they do not have the bass that I love. Good Luck with your journey you really can't go wrong with Klipsch.

Noone has really adressed my concern over sitting so close to the speakers even if they are 1' away from the front wall. The review I listed above mentioned a need to sit about 4meters from horns for the sound to blend correctly from the multiple drivers???

It ain't true.

+1.

I sit exactly 9 feet from my Heresies and they are about 9 feet apart; center to center.

I get such a wide soundstage; and imaging is amazing.

If you are near Chicago; you are welcome to come by for a listen!

Thanks for the offer but I'm in AZ. I'm going to have to see if there are any local Klipsch fans to see if I can have a listen.

The daline's will go lower but you trade efficiency to get that and you do not have an amp to drive them if you had them. You said you could get a set of Cornwalls for $600.00. Buy them and try them on for size. You can sell them and get your money back. Remember the Cornwal can be massaged with titainium diaphragms and new crossover parts for significant improvements in performance when you can afford to do so if you like them. I think that you will like them. Your experience with the Cornwall's will be useful and they are very efficient so you amp will be able to drive you out of the room if you want it to. Get them before they are gone and give them a test drive. You have nothing to lose. Best regards Moray James.

to achieve excellent soundstaging and balance. I like the performers to be standing infront of the band and hearing all the nuances of the recording. Hearing a vocalist breathe or a chair squeak makes me feel as if I'm right there.

With 3 watts, you don't have that many choices. Either the RFs or the H3s would work for you but they are not the king of sound staging or top end extension and air.The Heresy IIIs are very neutral sounding so don't worry about that. They are solid performers that will work with your amp. You'll also want a small sub for the lowest frequencies. .

The daline's will go lower but you trade efficiency to get that and you do not have an amp to drive them if you had them. You said you could get a set of Cornwalls for $600.00. Buy them and try them on for size. You can sell them and get your money back. Remember the Cornwal can be massaged with titainium diaphragms and new crossover parts for significant improvements in performance when you can afford to do so if you like them. I think that you will like them. Your experience with the Cornwall's will be useful and they are very efficient so you amp will be able to drive you out of the room if you want it to. Get them before they are gone and give them a test drive. You have nothing to lose. Best regards Moray James.

Very true on efficiency but I once heard a pair of 1.5 watt monoblocs run them beautifully. It was unbelieveable. I just found another pair of Cornwalls locally for $450.00. I'm awaiting pics. They supposedly are out of the 80's so will they be the Cornwall 1's? Is that a good thing? How does the sound differ between Heresylll and the Cornwall besides bass?

Thanks!

Eric

Very true on efficiency but I once heard a pair of 1.5 watt monoblocs run them beautifully. It was unbelieveable. I just found another pair of Cornwalls locally for $450.00. I'm awaiting pics. They supposedly are out of the 80's so will they be the Cornwall 1's? Is that a good thing? How does the sound differ between Heresylll and the Cornwall besides bass?

Thanks!

Eric

Corns are bigger. Bigger (still) soundstage.

They really shine in larger rooms. I got to hear a set of Pro Cornwalls 6 months ago.

They were in a room not much bigger than mine. I felt they were lacking a bit.

I attribute this to them being in a smaller room. I also have the advantage of getting my Heresies tweaked over time......

Definitely listen to both if you can. Nothing wrong with RF series also;

I definitely prefer 3 way over 2 way though........ (My personal preference: your experience may vary).....

As mentioned; if you get Heresies; (even Corns; but more so with Heresies) you will want a good sub.

Good Luck!

to achieve excellent soundstaging and balance. I like the performers to be standing infront of the band and hearing all the nuances of the recording. Hearing a vocalist breathe or a chair squeak makes me feel as if I'm right there.

With 3 watts, you don't have that many choices. Either the RFs or the H3s would work for you but they are not the king of sound staging or top end extension and air.The Heresy IIIs are very neutral sounding so don't worry about that. They are solid performers that will work with your amp. You'll also want a small sub for the lowest frequencies. .

Russ and everyone;

I'd rather not use a speaker that needs a sub for simplicity, so now my interest is peaked about the RF series. You say that "they are not the king of soundstaging or top end extension and air." So what is a guy to do? lol! Actually I think the Heresy's are the perfect size for my room and the Cornwalls take up too much real estate. Too tell the truth; I was listening last night and I do enjoy a speaker that can disappear. I don't mean to be difficult, but this is a fact finding mission for me. I like to do my research first before stumbling into something half cocked.

Thanks and keep the info coming!

Eric

Even the RF series can benefit from a sub.

Most modern music has bass tones that can get into to 20-25 hz region.

Heresies without a sub sound fantastic.

Heresies with a sub? Even better....... (FWIW; I can close my eyes and easily become immersed in each separate instrument and imagine where each artist is on stage playing said insrtuments.....)

You really need to get out and listen to some speakers; there is only so much you will gain from research.

I'd rather not use a speaker that needs a sub for simplicity, so now my interest is peaked about the RF series. You say that "they are not the king of soundstaging or top end extension and air." So what is a guy to do? lol! Actually I think the Heresy's are the perfect size for my room and the Cornwalls take up too much real estate. Too tell the truth; I was listening last night and I do enjoy a speaker that can disappear. I don't mean to be difficult, but this is a fact finding mission for me.

Just about everything needs a sub even Klipschorns have there limits, the only exception would be some of the bigger full range loudspeakers. I hope I don't get too far from the Klipsch faithful because I think you would be happy with a number of Klipsch offerings but from what you are saying, you should be looking at a Magnepan, an electrostatic, or a Vandersteen. Those wont work with your amp and they will require you to spend a lot more money on your system. If you have 6000-10000 to spend on your system you can get what you are asking for.

Perhaps a pair of these?

post-25429-13819637711202_thumb.jpg

I'd rather not use a speaker that needs a sub for simplicity, so now my interest is peaked about the RF series. You say that "they are not the king of soundstaging or top end extension and air." So what is a guy to do? lol! Actually I think the Heresy's are the perfect size for my room and the Cornwalls take up too much real estate. Too tell the truth; I was listening last night and I do enjoy a speaker that can disappear. I don't mean to be difficult, but this is a fact finding mission for me.

Just about everything needs a sub even Klipschorns have there limits, the only exception would be some of the bigger full range loudspeakers. I hope I don't get too far from the Klipsch faithful because I think you would be happy with a number of Klipsch offerings but from what you are saying, you should be looking at a Magnepan, an electrostatic, or a Vandersteen. Those wont work with your amp and they will require you to spend a lot more money on your system. If you have 6000-10000 to spend on your system you can get what you are asking for.

Perhaps a pair of these?

LOL! I'd have to survive the divorce first! Well to explain things a bit better; I use to suffer from Audio Nervosa. Yep; I was one of those tweaky audiophiles. I took a long hiatus from the hobby but I was ruined when it came to speakers. After owning Martin Logans, Many Maggies and Ohm speakers; it's really hard to settle for anything less. Each of those speakers had their own weaknesses with the Ohms being my absolute favorite. I promised myself that I would build this system on a budget so I've been looking to used speakers. When I think of SET amps; I think of Klipsch. I'm just trying do narrow down my search by finding a model that closely matches my needs. I no longer tear each recording apart and analyze it. I now enjoy music but there are certain criteria that bring me closer to the performance. To be honest; I'm not interested in sounds lower than 40hz as I don't listen to modern music or classical for that matter. I do enjoy the electric bass though which I have enjoyed on many speakers missing the lowest octaves. The Heresy's seem like a stretch though with their low range cutoff point. They are the perfect size for sure. I never have had any luck blending a sub to a set of speakers. Many echo my experiences with this. I wish there were Klipsch dealers that carried the Heresy's locally.

By the way; I always ended up selling any Maggies I purchased because their size was distracting and they didn't supply enough bass for me. Should have seen my wife when I brought home the Acoustats! [:o]

I have owned Quad 57's Quad 63's a good number of Acoustat's and I have modified Acoustat's as well. I worked on a set of Dayton-Wright electrostats and had them in my system for a while. I have had Magnepan and a host of Fostex full range speakers. The Forte ll while not perfect (what is) stock has to me one of the best balanced sounds I have found. The Quartet uses the same horns as the Forte ll but runs a ten inch woofer and twelve inch passive where the Forte ll uses a twelve inch woofer and a fifteen inch passive. I think the size of the Quartet is very domestic especially given that it wants to sit near the wall out of the way of the room. As I said with horns this works to your advantage unlike most direct radiators which need to be out into the room.

I still think you should pick up the Cornwall's as you can audition them and see what you think and still recover your investment later. You would probably like the Quartet's a lot. They do deserve new Titanium diaphragms and a new crossover (Al Klappenberger of ALK Engineering has a design for the Forte's which will work in a Quartet with minimal changes) and this applies to all the Heratige speakers. That done they will be top notch. You can upgrade as time and funds permit. The Quartet's would benefit from being placed on stands to raise the level of the horns. They look excellent with the stock riser removed and then placed upon four post stands, see Skylan Stands for good examples. Quartets will get you into the upper mid thirty hert range. They are efficient. I think that the K-704 mid horn used inthe Quartet Forte ll and Chorus ll is possibly one of the best horns Klipsch has designed. They reproduce midrange with the detail and resolution of the best electrostats but with body I have not experienced from stats. Cornwall's actually have less bass extension compared to Quartet's but have greater impact. You can try the Cornwals while you look for a set of Quartet's and compare the two. Any of these speakers will happy with the amp that you have in the size of room you have. Any of these speakers can generate solid controlled bass and if you are finding this lacking look to your amp as the issue not with the speakers. I hope this is helpful. Good luck finding your speaker. Best regards Moray James.

I have owned Quad 57's Quad 63's a good number of Acoustat's and I have modified Acoustat's as well. I worked on a set of Dayton-Wright electrostats and had them in my system for a while. I have had Magnepan and a host of Fostex full range speakers. The Forte ll while not perfect (what is) stock has to me one of the best balanced sounds I have found. The Quartet uses the same horns as the Forte ll but runs a ten inch woofer and twelve inch passive where the Forte ll uses a twelve inch woofer and a fifteen inch passive. I think the size of the Quartet is very domestic especially given that it wants to sit near the wall out of the way of the room. As I said with horns this works to your advantage unlike most direct radiators which need to be out into the room.

I still think you should pick up the Cornwall's as you can audition them and see what you think and still recover your investment later. You would probably like the Quartet's a lot. They do deserve new Titanium diaphragms and a new crossover (Al Klappenberger of ALK Engineering has a design for the Forte's which will work in a Quartet with minimal changes) and this applies to all the Heratige speakers. That done they will be top notch. You can upgrade as time and funds permit. The Quartet's would benefit from being placed on stands to raise the level of the horns. They look excellent with the stock riser removed and then placed upon four post stands, see Skylan Stands for good examples. Quartets will get you into the upper mid thirty hert range. They are efficient. I think that the K-704 mid horn used inthe Quartet Forte ll and Chorus ll is possibly one of the best horns Klipsch has designed. They reproduce midrange with the detail and resolution of the best electrostats but with body I have not experienced from stats. Cornwall's actually have less bass extension compared to Quartet's but have greater impact. You can try the Cornwals while you look for a set of Quartet's and compare the two. Any of these speakers will happy with the amp that you have in the size of room you have. Any of these speakers can generate solid controlled bass and if you are finding this lacking look to your amp as the issue not with the speakers. I hope this is helpful. Good luck finding your speaker. Best regards Moray James.

Mooray;

You read my mind. I've been doing alot of reading and I pretty much narrowed it down to the Quartets. They sound perfect for my room and amp. I like that they are smaller but still do bass. I feel pretty confident with that choice. Now I need to find a pair. I found a couple on Ebay but some people are either over priced or afraid to ship.

Thanks to all!!!

Eric

These speakers will benefit from new Titanium diaphragms as well as new networks. Al Klapenberger's Forte network will drop into the mid / hi horn section and you can experiment with the bass section. Al's network hepls make the speaker an easier load which your little amp will approve of. Three to four hundred is about average but I have seen them for less recently. Keep an eye on Craig's List for your best possible price. Good luck have fun. Best regards Moray James.