Cornwall problem

Hi! I just purchased my first pair of Klipsch. They appear to be 1984 Cornwalls. The problem is that one speaker is louder than the other. The tweeters are new and all drivers are functioning. These have the K-57-K mid horns. The boards are the B-3 version. Could it be the x-over? I couldn't pass up the deal on these and they sound wonderfully musical. The only problem is they are too boomy in my small room.

Thanks!

Double check the connections of the drivers at the balancing networks for proper and consistent polarity. Also check the speaker input connections for polarity.

ditto. I would go as far as installing star lock washers under all the screws on the crossover board. Check the polarity of the connections on the board.

I checked all connections and polarity is correct and terminals are tight. I had thought about raising the cabinets off the flloor and will try tomorrow. I definately can't place them in the corner. Waaaaay boomy. I just read several threads where people mention the one note and boomy bass. This is what I'm experiencing but I suspect the problem is my small room.

Eric: there will be a large cap feeding into the auto transformer 3 or 4 uf depending upon your xover but will be marked that is the cap which has gone bad. Youu can replace that one (maintain polarity if it is an electrolytic) or use a plastic cap like a mylar (which is non polar so either direction). chances are the other caps are on the way too but this will get you up and running. Good luck buddy. Best regards Moray James. I can mail you a drawing if you need it.

Eric: there will be a large cap feeding into the auto transformer 3 or 4 uf depending upon your xover but will be marked that is the cap which has gone bad. Youu can replace that one (maintain polarity if it is an electrolytic) or use a plastic cap like a mylar (which is non polar so either direction). chances are the other caps are on the way too but this will get you up and running. Good luck buddy. Best regards Moray James. I can mail you a drawing if you need it.

Gracias Senior! That was the only cap I didn't try to bypass thinking it must be for the woofer. That thing is the size of a can of Red Bull! I bet the new ones are much smaller. I have some Solen caps around here somewhere. Is it better to use two in parallel or one 3 or 4 uf?

Thanks!

found a drawing which will be close enough for you to see what goes where on your board. Best regards Moray James.

Mooray;

I think your drawing is for a Cornwall ll x-over. I have the B-3 x-over which seems to be wired differently. The large cap goes from the negative input to the positive woofer on the terminal strip.

see if you can find a xover schematic at Klipsch service dept, I don't have a copy of this. On the original B crossover the cap is 4 uf for the mid and 2 uf for the tweeter. so there are only two caps on that board, big for mid small for tweeter. That's all I got for you. good luck buddy Moray James.

A 1984 Cornwall is likely to have the B2 network with a K33E, K57, K77.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/3/495595/Klipsch_B2_network.jpg

Mine definately has the B-3 and is labeled as such. With some help; I discovered that the connections on the screw terminal were coroded. I cleaned those and the mid horn works but is quieter than the other speaker. I'm going to switch that driver with the louder mid and see if the problem follows the driver.

Thanks!

Older electrolytics (which yours are) can take some time to charge up and behave normally. If your speakers have not had any play time for a prolonged period of time they may just need some run time to get their act together and play at the same level. I would suspect the caps before I looked to the diaphragms. New polyester caps are cheap and will be a big upgrade from the stock electrolytic crossover caps. That way if you sell them later you can advertise an upgrade and not have spent a lot on a speaker which may be on its way out the door. If you decide to keep them you can look into better caps and crossover mods and such.You can see that changing out your electrolytic caps every 25 years is a good idea. Best regards Moray James.

Older electrolytics (which yours are) can take some time to charge up and behave normally. If your speakers have not had any play time for a prolonged period of time they may just need some run time to get their act together and play at the same level. I would suspect the caps before I looked to the diaphragms. New polyester caps are cheap and will be a big upgrade from the stock electrolytic crossover caps. That way if you sell them later you can advertise an upgrade and not have spent a lot on a speaker which may be on its way out the door. If you decide to keep them you can look into better caps and crossover mods and such.You can see that changing out your electrolytic caps every 25 years is a good idea. Best regards Moray James.

I ordered Crites x-over rebuild kit today. Hopefully that does it. All speakers are working. I did discover the bases are missing on the Cornwalls. Ooops! I didn't even give them a thought before purchase. I'm sure that getting them off the floor will help with the overwhelming bass in my small room as mentioned above. Maybe the mids and highs will come up in volume with less resistance from new caps. This may balance the sound out some.

Thanks!

... I did discover the bases are missing on the Cornwalls. Ooops! I didn't even give them a thought before purchase. I'm sure that getting them off the floor will help with the overwhelming bass in my small room as mentioned above...

It is amazing what a difference just a couple of inches makes!