Jubscala: Questions about taking the plunge.

Mrtie

Change your order and get the 402s. Small horns sound, well, small. The 402s produce a completely immersive soundfield which causes the speakers to just about disappear. The better pattern control near the crossover region also provides a seamless transition between the horn and the bass bin. IOWs, you can't tell where one leaves off and the other begins -- it just sounds more cohesive. Also, the uglier the horn, the better it sounds. :)

Chuck jsut gor back to me and the shipping difference is only like $70, I am in fact going to go with 402's, I leaned twored the 510 becuase I was under the assumption given thier dimensions and weight freight would be like 400+ added to the price difference and push me way over budget.

2. I don't have cable/satellite, as I use a HTPC as storage/playback/source outside of vinyl.

If your computer has a 3 prong plug with a safety ground, then there is a 90% chance of a ground loop hum. The best solution would be adding a ground wire inside the Dx38, but let's wait to see if that is the case.

For the first time hooking it up, I would recommend leaving the tweeters disconnected from the amps until you can verify everything else is working. The Dx38 is providing the safety for the HF so make sure it is wired and configured properly. You would have a hard time hurting the LF.

Interesting, I am using a asus Xonar ST on rca outs for DAC duty, and I have never noticed hum in the various amp's I've tried, so maybe I'm in the 10 percent, but I suppose we shall see.

Good man.

We were playing around in Hope a few years ago and one of the things on our list to do was to drop a 402 on top of a LaScala bass bin. The quality of sound that came out of those things caught everyone completely off-guard -- it took us an hour to get the stupid grin off of Roy's face.

Agian thanks for everyone's help so far, my order for the 402's has been sent in, I got my dx38 today, and my adcom, cables should be here monday, then i just gotta wait for the big boys to arrive. Been running the adcom on my speakers to see how they sound down low and the definately have more authority then my st70 does. My relatively crappy preamp has what I believe is a cold solder joint issue, which I thought I had fixed but my right channel has yet again dropped out. I'm curious if anyone could suggest a decent tube pre new/used for around $300-400, I've been eyeballing a cary slp30 on audiogon, I wouldn't mind a phono, but I have denon table and the built in does a decent enough job imho.Another option I've seen is the jolida JD-5t, the remote is appealing, but I have heard some dubious claims on thier reliability. Any suggestions?

Something I suggested to David (who's awaiting a pair of Jubilee's to arrive as early as this upcoming week).

He's got all the parts he needs now but the speakers themselves. I suggested he hook up all his electronics, including the active crossover, as he will be when he's got the Jubilee's in place.

Then, if he turns all the DSP paramaters to flat he can (or so I think) swap the various lines to the amps driving his speakers.

My thinking is, if he's got some hum issues he might want to find out now while he's waiting for his speakers to arrive rather than get all excited about hearing them for the first time and have some hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in the system that now needs to be taken care of.

I don't know if he did that or not. I also don't know 100% that my thinking is right and it would work although I don't see why not.

You might give that a spin yourself. I don't see where you have anything to lose and if you DO find some hum issues you can rest assured they won't be any LESS when the 402's arrive so you can make that your current project prior to their arrival.

Good idea coytee, I plan on doing just that when I get my cables, and my new preamp, this week. I have been messing with the dx38 a little to get feel how the interface works seems straight forward enough. I ended up buying a quicksilver audio full feature preamp which is buitl like freaking tank and has 6 power outlets on the back, so I'm hope by common grounding it together with the amps and the dx, I can also reduce or get rid of any possible hum, but I suppose we shall waight and see, not a ton of info on the amp, but their later power amps seem well respected and this pre has the most over built power supply I've ever seen.

qsfullfunction

Well I got my preamp, and my cables, hooked it all up tonight just to test for hum, not even the tiniest bit , Now the only thing left is the for the horns to ship and dailing in the programing on the dx38. I am truely excited now. Waiting is torture, but this new preamp is enough fun to tied me over for now.

My horns should be here Monday!

I have every thing wired and set up in the dx38, currently running a pair of JBL 4410 up top and the bass bin dailed way down so the mesh up, and I'm kinda suprised this sounds pretty decent. Not a hint of hum either. All thats left to do is set those massive horn on top and dial in the smiles. Super excited. Guess it's about time to update my system profile :)

What's the break in like on the K-69? is there any?

There is a break-in period. If you had a signal generator or a test CD that you could set on repeat, IIRC, Roy feeds them 100-300 Hz at a reasonable input level (high level) for something like 30 minutes.

Chris

I don't remember the exact frequency that he used, but it was below the operating range--I'd shoot for 250 Hz.

Either way: when I was in Hope, Roy used alligator clips to a signal generator/amp in his test equipment rack next the the chamber. I remember that the other guys were impressed at the drive level he used. If I were you, I'd just use a setting that's "loud".

Chris

Ok..

1. Why not simply hook them up and play?
2. Isn't it the woofers that would need the most breaking in of anything?
3. Chris...are you telling us that you went through this "break in" before listening to yours?

C'mon nowwwwwwwwwwww don't fib to me!

My vote is... just plug, play & enjoy. It will already be an improvement over what you've been hearing that you'll be ear to ear smiles. Anything better after a break in will only be icing on the cake.

[Y]