OT: Nikon Coolpix 995-opinions?

fini

I know many of you have digital cameras. This model is available for $549 at Costco Online. Any opinions? I've been looking at and reading tons of online reviews of many cameras, and this one seems like the one to get (plus Costco has a great return policy if it isn't the one). I'm using an iMac, so any interface issues? Thanks, guys.

fini

I can't be much help on a 995, but I did have the 885 on my list while shopping a few weeks ago. My budget was "less than $500" for a 3 MP min. camera. I wound up with a Fuji FinePix 4900--really a great camera with lots of features, including 4.3 MP, 6x optical zoom, an SLR-like view finder, lots of manual features, etc. The best part, and the reason I bought it rather than the Nikon 885, the Olympus 3020, or Canon S-10: less than $450 on uBid. They still have auctions for this camera, and I urge you to consider it.

Well put, Michaelstano, the Fuji FinePix 4900 is definitely a cut above the Nikon Koolpix which is not to cool in this old Nikon user's opinion. The Fugi is using more recent technology and is a very good buy for those of steady hands. A low priced but competent 6x lens is a marvel in itself. Check it out fini! -HornED

for about $100 more you can get a Sony DSC-S85 (though this was nearly a year ago, the price maybe lower). It has 4.1 Megapixel, can get as close as .1 meters to an object and still be in focus, has manual and automatic focus, a mic and speaker provide pretty darn good short video clips or voice annotations for pictures. A Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar lens with a 2/7-21 zoom and a 6 times digital zoom (which actually is not too bad). I have been VERY happy with this camera. You can not compare it to a Nikon D1,

Minolta DiMAGE 7, or of course the Canon EOS D60 (but what digital camera can? haha) but it is a great camera for the price.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

quote:

Originally posted by fini:

HornEd- What, specifically do you not like about the Nikon?

fini

i think it was the CCD...

this post was a really thorough (sp) conversation on this topic right here

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000345.html

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

fini, I considered the Coolpix for my first entry into digital mainly because of my long and satisfying experience with Nikon film cameras. At the time, a professional reviewer and long-time Nikon owner took the Nikon to task on picture quality issues and favored Olympus... but that has been a couple of years ago.

Actually, my last review of the Coolpix line was a 990 and not a 995... and thus my initial reaction to your query. Looking up the 995 indicates that Nikon finally brings the "prosumer" feature set of the Coolpix line up to the level of my small Olympus you used at Zeno's Latin Jazz Fest.

Users generally rate the 995 high (4 out of 5 stars) but some of that may be due to the confidence in the Nikon name.... the old Coolpix's were higher rated by consumers than by (non-sellout) reviewers.

In light of the pressure of competition and the internal configuration of the 995's CCD, I would expect Nikon to come out with a new model that has a more dense (5+ megapixel) CCD, better low-light capabilities, and a faster lens... later this year. That is likely to drop the price even lower.

The Coolpix line was not as much of a winner as Nikon hoped for... and so the 995 was given "catch-up" features of other "prosumer" grade competitors. Given the substantial improvement of the 995 over the 990, I would have expected that Nikon would have called it a "1000"... not doing so makes me suspect that a better product in the 995 price range will soon be announced.

Note that the 995 output is USB and not all Apples's may like it. You're the bargain hunter, fini, so it's your call! -HornED

PS: Actually, Justin, the problem I had with the CCD in the Nikon with removable lenses was that the CCD's were too easy to get dirty and too hard to keep clean! The Coolpix line has fixed lenses with a broad line of lens attachments geared to the 28mm ring mount... a better solution IMHO.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-19-2002 at 10:42 AM

I bought the Sony that records onto Mini CD's..(Can even use rewriteable..) Something like 256 pics at high resolution... Look it up at the sony site..

I think off the top of my head...3.3 megapixls.. Incredible, easy, everything about it I love...and yes the most important function..Incredible pics..even blown up.

There is a 2.1 megazixl unit in your price range...I would very much encourage you to think about this lineup.. no cards to swap out.. No download times to do into your computer, print off, send emails, is like a no brainer ordeal..,,,and, you can take the CD to any photoshop/ kinkos and can get re prints in a snap.

This is where all the technology is going. It is highly functional on automatic, or change the settings like you would on a regular camera features wise for more creativity. All in a digital seamless camera. My 2 cents!!!

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 04-19-2002 at 10:36 AM

www.dpreview.com

the new Panasonic Lumix looks pretty promising, especially after a firmware upgrade that may take care of some of the weird loss of quality in compression.

personally, I am very impressed with the Casio QV4000

the Canon G2 wil be more expensive, but it is kind of a reference in its class

I like the Olympus design, however I am not impressed by the quality of their pictures after a few early tests.

The 995 is a good camera, nothing out of the ordinary imo.

Can't comment on the Fujis, we don't carry them at work.

it's too bad you can't come to my kiosk, we have all our digicams set up and connected to a computer so you can directly compare the picture quality. all stores should have that IMO.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 04-19-2002 at 12:00 PM

Interesting, but I have probably learned more about digital cameras and photography on this audio site than anywhere else!

Wish I could be more specific (sure others can be), but I recently read (in Newsweek?) about a new technology for digital cameras that is said to revolutionize the process--a chip that gets away from the 3-layer/color process (I am really out of my depth). Anyway, it is supposed to be absolutely incredible, and is to be out within the year (already out in professional models). If one could wait for a camera, one with the new chip might be the deal (but, as with computers, there is always something new on the horizon).

Well, I think I'm still leaning toward the Nikon. Costco's liberal return policy (if I don't like it, I can return it for a full refund), and the excellent reviews I've read point me that way. As I see it, the downside of the 995 is it's lens' tendency to have a bit of chromatic abberation, and a possible steep learning curve. It is apparently the camera for macro work, which interrests me, and can use several aux lenses (one that changes the zoom to an equivalent 24-60mm...nice!).

Regardless, when I do get a camera, I'll post several fashion shots of myself and my Cornwalls.

fini

Edit: I went to a camera shop tonight. I'm starting to reconsider the Canon G2....ARRGGHH!

This message has been edited by fini on 04-19-2002 at 11:52 PM

Please fini, there are a lot of good cameras out there but there is no substitute for the detail that a 3.3 megapixel format brings!

That is why you bought Klipsch Cornwalls rather than Bose Cubes!!

That is why you like to do macro work... take my word for it... your a craftsman and 2 megapixel originals will rub against your grain!!!

Keep shopping until your mind clears... -HornED

fini, HornEd is a maverick.

only listen to him if you're serious, or plan on becoming serious about digital photography. if you only want a nice point-and-shoot camera to make quick shots of the family, system, and such, save yourself a bundle and go with a 2MP camera.

if, however, you want to get into, or don't know, but may want to get into, photography as a hobby, passion, art, or whatever, then by all means, shop around some more, and get a 4MP camera, but one with a good lens, nice features, and a good macro and zoom.

I have a 2.1MP camera. Although I would like to get into photography as a hobby, I know I don't have the time to do so. Therefore, I only use the digicam to make pictures of my system, birthdays, cars, and the like. I would not need more than 2.1MP.

On the other hand, if I had a 4MP camera, then I think i'd have to find more time in my days, because photography is so damn fun. I realized that after playing around with the nicer cameras we sell at work.

You are into audio, that's why you bought Klipsch. But think about it, if you had only wanted something to play some tunes in the background, you would probably have gotten something much more affordable, less cumbersome, and not as good-sounding.

To each his hobby, you have to support them by saving in other places. For example, I don't give a rat's *** about shoes because I don't run anymore. Therefore, I just pick up a relatively inexpensive pair of Nikes, they last me for a couple years, and then I replace them with something equally inexpensive. I would totally understand if someone who was into running would spend the extra bucks for some New Balance or whatever the high-end shoes are these days.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Seb, actually, fini has a degree in art, is a serious film photographer, and has used some of my digital equipment at our last meeting. fini is far beyond "point & shoot" and is only new to digital photography. He has a special passion for macro photography, high detail and manual settings... but, he is always on the lookout for a super bargain.

I would not like to see him spend money on a bargain only to find that it quickly becomes to limited for him to enjoy. My warning to him was well intended and I believe on point. Thanks, Seb, for chiming in with some good advice. It's a pretty good bet that Clipped & Shorn (a college art professor, now retired) will be greatly influenced by fini's choice.

These are good people and Klipsch Forum members to boot... they deserve our best advice. -HornED

Just an observation:

Almost like reading a debate over whether (30 years ago) it was best to have a Minolta SRT-101 35mm SLR loaded with Kodak 400 ASA B/W film...or a Nikon F2S Photomic SLR loaded with Ilford HP4 400 ASA B/W film(which could be pushed to 600 ASA with no developer adjustments required and still gave finer grain than the Kodak film did)....LOL!

Just kidding...as one who hopes to be adding a nice digital camera to his "stuff" in the near futire, this has been a pretty good informative read...thanks.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-21-2002 at 07:44 AM

HornEd and Seb, Thanks for all the imput and concern! I've certainly been running in circles over this decision. I've spent, probably, 100 hours this past month going over reviews and opinions on many digital cameras, and I've found many (personal!) truths along the way:

1) There is no "perfect" camera, even for a specific use. They all have their plusses and minuses, and thus are compromises.

2) There is no "best" brand. People have favorites.

3) More pixels does not automatically make a better camera, or a better photo, or better art. IMHO, some of the best art is done using the simplest tools and techniques, with the simplest intent (in fact, my favorite stuff comes out of abandoning "technique" and "intent," or at least striving for that. My favorite artists are young children (before they've had their "art lessons").

4) I'm more likely to take an inexpensive, lighter camera along with me wherever I go, and less paranoid about letting the kids have a go at it.

5) If I buy an expensive camera with more bells and whistles, I'm convinced this will somehow directly signal the camera manufacturers to immediately release a camera with better features for less money. It's as bad as computers, maybe worse.

6) A 2mp camera is plenty good for taking shots of all the precious crap I've collected over the years, which I've promised my wife I'd liquidate on eBay (this is the only reason she approved the purchase of another toy).

7) I can always upgrade and let the kids or the wife use the cheaper, simpler camera, some time down the road.

So, that's todays reasonings.

fini

By the way, Justin...Nice photos!

This message has been edited by fini on 04-21-2002 at 08:08 AM

I agree with Seb's observation that I am a maverick (hopefully a well intended one) and your assessment of digital photography, fini... EXCEPT for one salient point, the introduction of 4 and 5 megapixel cameras has lowered prices to where a good 3.3 megapixel camera is very close in price to a good 2.1 megapixel camera... especially on eBay.

Just as I loaned a equalizer to Clipped and Shorn, I would be willing to lend you a 3.3 megapixel (or above) digital camera, tripod, etc., for an indefinite time to allow you to experiment with digital environment before you buy something. I will be in the motorhome visiting relatives in Sonoma County beginning tomorrow (Monday) and would be willing to drop off the photo equipment then. Remember, you bought the last bottle of wine... and so it's my turn to do something.

Email me at eddennis@msn.com and maybe we can get together. I can also bring along museum quality prints (archival paper using 6-color pigmented ink) of the Klipsch evening at Sweet Lou's. -HornED

PS: I haven't heard from Zeno lately... I trust he is alive and well and up to his frontal lobes in one sort of project or another.

Fini,

Actually...no...I went with the Minolta XM (European distributer designation for what I believe they called either the XK or XL in North America) with the auto-electro finder and the split-screen/focusing collar screen installed (but, alas, no motordrive)...kept the SRT 102 for an extra body until Minolta came out with the XE-7, then sold the 102 to help finance the XE-7. I used to carry around two bodies...one with 3M diapositive(actually a movie type film with no leaning toward reds as in GAF or AGFA...and no leaning toward blues like Kodachrome/Ektachrome)and the other with either Ilford HP1 or Ilford HP4...depending on what I wanted to shoot and the effects I wanted, i could rapidly swap lenses and go for it with either body.

My favorite lens was an early MC Rokkor 85mm with the stop-down prevue lever on it (the one with the knurled focusing ring instead of the later "rubberized" one)...especially for portraits and such...a truly delightful lens!!! I found I had no need for the standard 55mm lens, since I also carried around a Vivitar 35-105mm macro-zoom and a Vivitar 75-300mm zoom. I had a variety of fixed-length wide-angle to fisheye lenses, and gobs of filters and other toys.

I really got into it for a few years until I came home one Thanksgiving day after working overtime that morning at Klipsch, and found my huge camera case with everything in it but the Auto-bellows, had been stolen along with alot of other stuff by some low-life who kicked in my back door...HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! Now all I have is a Minolta Maxxum 7000 with 35-70mm macro zoom...but it does most of what I need to do.