HK AVR 635 VS Onkyo TX SR702? Quick! Help!!!!!!

Ironsave

Guys,

I have a chance at picking up this HK receiver; it is a HK AVR 635.

Would this be an improvement in SQ versus my Onkyo?

I am not concerned about HT as much as 2 channel; but chose to ask here (It is an HT receiver)......

I would be getting this tonight; so please answer QUICK!!!! [:D]

• Moderators

I'm not familiar with either of the models but I had an older HK AVR55 (55w/ch) and absolutely LOVED it for 2ch. I then sold it and upgraded to a more powerful Onkyo 703 reciever (100w/ch) with DTS processing and although it was an upgrade for HT, I did not care for the sound near as much for 2ch. The HK had much better separation of instruments and seemed much more detailed. The Onkyo blended the instruments together. Not sure if that helps at all.

Youth.... Thanks.

It helps. (ALOT!!!!)

My Onkyo does real well with 2 channel. If your HK was better than your 703, than I think it is safe to say this one would be also.

(This HK has 75w X 7; 90W per channel in 2 channel).

Based on what I have read; this thing would equal or better the 100X7 rating my Onkyo has.

The remote he has has a cracked lcd, but the receiver is mint.

I may get it; do an A-B and keep the winner.......

I would certainly give it a try if the price is right. New electronics are always fun! I think it should have a different sound than the onkyo and for that reason you might just love it. IMHO you may find it has a tad better bump in power/bass but i may just be saying that because i have not pushed my tx-sr705 hard since i got it.

I would certainly give it a try if the price is right. New electronics are always fun! I think it should have a different sound than the onkyo and for that reason you might just love it. IMHO you may find it has a tad better bump in power/bass but i may just be saying that because i have not pushed my tx-sr705 hard since i got it.

Blu,

I have had my 702 at 97% of max (100W X7 WRAT). Even with no sub; (and the right speakers), it has plenty of power and bass...

With my Heresies? Amazing clarity at high volumes........

You have permission to crank it up a little more. [:D] (Just kidding, I know I am no one to give you permission).....

The price is right by the way! (Under $140)

• Moderators

The price is right by the way! (Under $140)

Here is the question I always ask myself. If I buy this....could I sell it and at least get my money back if I don't like it. If you lost $25 in the process, that would still be worth it IMO since it's knowledge that you gain from the experience.

• Moderators

i have not pushed my tx-sr705 hard since i got it.

I cranked my TX-SR703 and it was crystal clear, vocals did not get harsh or break up. The AVR55 ran out of gas and those things did occur when cranking it up really loud. Another reason I upgraded to the 703.

Well,

I got it. (The HK)....

Not quite the "Mint" shape claimed; but it looks good.

(The remote lcd display is cracked, and it had "spots"; looked like dried soda).

There is a small indentation on the top, and the door does not stay closed......

It did include the mic and antanna; so......

I got it for $100...... I bet I can sell for at least that if necessary......

We shall see......

• Moderators

Not quite the "Mint" shape claimed; but it looks good.

You gotta love that. You would think that people know what "mint" means. NO BLEMISHES at all.

There is a small indentation on the top, and the door does not stay closed......

Sounds Minty to me. What are you complaining about? Gheesh! [:P]

I got it for $100...... I bet I can sell for at least that if necessary......

Looks like it. Link

Let us know how it sounds compared to your Onkyo. I am curious how the newer receivers sound. I had a much older HK.

The 635 is 41lbs by the way if that helpsBig Smile I am scared to turn up that 705Embarrassed It must last me until i get an amp

Your 705 will be just fine.

I crank my 702 on a regular basis. (At least 80% of max); whenever the neighbors are not home.....

Knowing that my enemy is distortion (speaker damage) and clipping (amp damage); I am just careful about those two symptoms.

(I have never clipped my 702 and distortion really does not seem present; unless I am trying to drive the Heresies full bandwith; with no sub. They do not like trying to hit at 20hz close to max volume. My sub has solved that issue).....

You won't hurt anything.... (If something is wrong; it will eventually present itself regardless).....

Besides.... how do you know you need an amp if you have not cranked the receiver? [:D]

(You might be surprised.....)

I think you will be pleased with the sound of the HK. I had its' little brother (435) and really liked the warm, musical sound it produced. I remember when the 635 was out it was the hottest receiver that year, much like the Onkyo 805 was in its' time...

I think you will be pleased with the sound of the HK. I had its' little brother (435) and really liked the warm, musical sound it produced. I remember when the 635 was out it was the hottest receiver that year, much like the Onkyo 805 was in its' time...

Thanks for the input. I am looking forward to connecting it this evening and seeing what I have.

There is a software update available; so I need a serial cable to do it.

If anything, it should be fun and at least I will truly know what brand/ sound I like better......

Well worth the money imho.... (I may wind up keeping both [H] ).