Quartet and Academy in da house

t-man

Wow, these Quartets really impress me and the Academy is awesome - perfect timbre match. I just finally got around to setting these up today and playing around with them. I've listened to tons of speakers including many Klipsch and this front setup is tough to beat - especially compared to how much $$ you would have to spend on new speakers that are up to this caliber.

P1000180-001.jpg

P1000181-002.jpg

P1000182-003.jpg

P1000191-012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Now that you had a little time to listen what do you think, there in great shape !

What do I think? I think I'm in love! After a couple days, I eventually removed the KG 5.5s altogether and put the Quartets in their place. I removed the risers and placed them on 16" stands (chairs for now as stands are on order). They sound heavenly. I thought they sounded great, and then I ran Audyssey on the Denon and they sounded way better yet!!! I prefer these to my 2 way KG speakers very much. The bass is just right and not over bloated like the KGs. Music is superb. HT is also great - I have an SVS sub for the really low stuff, so I crossover at 60 HZ. Same for the Academy - crossover at 60 hz. I ran all my typical listening tests and the Academy is just as good as a third Quartet in my setup. It's really nice.

The problem is that the Acadmey is 1.5" too tall to fit into my TV console. I can hack it up and make it work, but my wife is already pissed enough at me. After having the Academy on a stand in front of the console for a while I put the KV3 back in service just last night. I went through my calibrations and listening tests and am still very satisfied with the performance of the KV3 with the Quartets in my space. We'll see what happens and I don't plan to sell the Academy just yet. I sure would like to find a way to use it, but I can't determine that it's 100% necessary. I need to do some more testing. Any recommendations for front array L-C-R or R-C-L panning?

It hurts me to say you should find a way to get that academy to work. It hurts me for two reasons:

One-I have a KV3 that I can part with that sounds good with quartets (came in the package with quartets, KG1.2s and an SW-10 sub)

Two- I would love to buy an academy.

I hope you find something that works for you. The KV3 is no slouch for sure. It mates really well with the larger KGs as I am sure you noticed. It works fine with the quartets, and does not sound bad with fortes even. But the academy will sound the best.

The other thing to consider is the wife of course. And the academy would fetch you some coin if you decide to sell it. You could even use some to take the wife to dinner.

As for panning, X-men (senator Kelly speaking in the senate), the Matrix (saving morpheus), and Blade II (action scene at the end) can put all of the home theater to work. Those work for action well. Others will have additional suggestions.

By the way, what are you using for surrounds now?

• Moderators

We'll see what happens and I don't plan to sell the Academy just yet.

I would say whatever sounds best to you. You may want to search or send Colterphoto a message, If I remember correctly he had both and did a comparison and posted about it.

It looks like a great setup either way, I am glad you like the sound of the Quartets. [Y]

Nice looking room ! [H]

It hurts me to say you should find a way to get that academy to work. It hurts me for two reasons:

One-I have a KV3 that I can part with that sounds good with quartets (came in the package with quartets, KG1.2s and an SW-10 sub)
Two- I would love to buy an academy.

I hope you find something that works for you. The KV3 is no slouch for sure. It mates really well with the larger KGs as I am sure you noticed. It works fine with the quartets, and does not sound bad with fortes even. But the academy will sound the best.
The other thing to consider is the wife of course. And the academy would fetch you some coin if you decide to sell it. You could even use some to take the wife to dinner.

As for panning, X-men (senator Kelly speaking in the senate), the Matrix (saving morpheus), and Blade II (action scene at the end) can put all of the home theater to work. Those work for action well. Others will have additional suggestions.
By the way, what are you using for surrounds now?

Thanks! I have all three of those movies but haven't watched them in years! I will try them. The funny thing is that I've been informally seeking an Academy for many years and finally found a local one that I snagged. This lead me on the search for a local deal on a Quartet or Forte II since they would be so good together. Now that I have them, I may not use the Academy afterall? Geesh...this hobby can be sickening some times.

As for current surrounds, I am using my beloved oiled oak KG 1s. They are minty mint, look great, are the right size, are easy to place (sealed) and seem to do the job. I've never thought my rear surrounds were lacking in any way for my listening. 2 weeks ago I passed on a wonderful set of Oiled Oak Quartets locally listed for only $300. That would have made a nice set of surrounds, but I simply didn't have the room for them with my kids play area behind the couch. My KG1s are mounted high near the ceiling out of their destructive pathways (:

[You may want to search or send Colterphoto a message, If I remember correctly he had both and did a comparison and posted about it.

I did a search and cannot find such a post or even this user. I'd be interested in his comparison findings!

I do not know if colter ever had the KV3 to do the comparison. I mentioned the KV3 since I picked one up in a package deal, and he said it was decent but he did not remember hearing one.

This hobby is maddening. Quartets at $300 is a great price. I hope a forum member got them. That is more than a fair price. I picked up my pair of quartets for $400. They came with the SW-10, KG1.2s and a KV3 for that price. The guy did not want to break up his home theater system and gave me a price break. I offered $300 or $350 for just the quartets. He could have made more money overall but did not want the hassle of many sales. Now that sale just added to my overall collection of too many Klipsch. And I say no such thing as too many because I am on the lookout for Cornwalls and an Academy and/or a KLF-C7. And as always, any other great deals on heritage (and extended) speakers.

You got a great package deal!! The SW-10 is a nice sub, and those other speakers you got are also very nice and desireable. The KV3 is a great speaker - have you had much chance to play around with it? The little KGs are great for small bedrooms or surrounds. They still seem to bring good money when I see them for sale. Pair them with the SW-10 and that's a nice 2 channel system. Throw in the KV3, and that's a heck of a nice 3.1 system for a small or position challenged HT! Of course, you could always build a nice 6.1 system with your Quartets. KGs in the rear/sides and KV3 in the rear center. Throw the sub in the mix just for the rear channel mid frequencies and you are golden.

• Moderators

I went searching and found out it was a KLF-C7 and not the KV3, I did find a few discussions compareing the C7, Academy and a few other models.Also I left out part of his name it is Colterphoto1.

So in the end I was wrong all the way around, alot help that was. [:#]

I went searching and found out it was a KLF-C7 and not the KV3, I did find a few discussions compareing the C7, Academy and a few other models.Also I left out part of his name it is Colterphoto1.

So in the end I was wrong all the way around, alot help that was. Zip it!

Don't be too hard on yourself. It is hard to keep everything you read on this forum straight.

Those Quartets look beautiful; and I know they must sound really nice as well.......

The KV-3 is not exactly timbre matched for them; but probably is really close.....

(I had a KV3 with two KG 5.2s, and it was seamless..... although I recently was told the KVs were meant for the CF series; not the KGs.....)

Good Luck in your decisions....... It is usually a compromise of some sort.......

Enkoy those Quartets..... give 'em some oil! [:D]